bike in storage for 3 years...what to do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odie1

Reaction score
New Vmax owner with my first post...

I just picked up a 2002 Vmax that was supposedly in storage for 3 years. Anything unique to the Vmax that I need to do for bringing it out of long term storage? ....over and above what one would normally expect to need to do to get it road ready again?

I figure the standard filters, fluids, & plugs so i'm planning on all that.

It's got 30k on the odometer so I guess valves are top of the list.

other than needing a new clutch lever, shift lever, mirror and pax foot peg...the bike seems to be in good shape...guess that's all why it was in storage, lol

thanks,
odie

Any chance they used a fuel stabilizer in the fuel?

If not, I'd syphon out as much fuel as possible, check tank for rust, replace fuel filter, turn key while leaving the float drains open to allow old fuel to run out, then shut off key when you see fresh fuel and shut drains and try to start.

Carbs don't like to sit... You may have to remove them.
Chris

seller claims he put in fresh fuel and a new battery. It has a hard time idling, i can't adjust it to keep running at 1000...dies when i take the choke off or have to adjust idle way higher.

I can hear it misfiring while riding it..i'm thinking a fouled plug or two.

seller claims he put in fresh fuel and a new battery. It has a hard time idling, i can't adjust it to keep running at 1000...dies when i take the choke off or have to adjust idle way higher.

I can hear it misfiring while riding it..i'm thinking a fouled plug or two.

I'd suggest doing the shotgun technique upon the carb circuits:

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

I've purchased a few vmax's in my time that were rough idling or you had to use the choke at full to get it to run. The shotgun fixed them each time. This is something that one should normally do periodically to the carbs. I'd also recommend putting some seafoam through the system to clean out the lines.

Another thing I would suggest once its running is to go ahead and sync them carbs since they have been sitting for 3 years.

Hate to say it but the vmax carbs are notorious for having the pilot jets get plugged up. Good thing is that its pretty easy to fix if you're not afraid to pull the carbs. If it doesn't seem to run right after you do your list I would have a look.

Things to look for while your in there would be any cracked rubber boots between the carbs and airbox, carbs and intakes, intakes and vboost. Check float height and clean the hell out of the carbs. Remove the floats and under there you will see the jet block. The main jet screws into it and it has some smaller jets inside of it under some rubber plugs. Remove the rubber plugs, take the jets out of the block, soak them in a cleaner and make sure they are clear, blow out with compressed air. I have seen them plugged solid after sitting for just a few months with no stabilizer. Also check the rubber diaphragms on the carb slides for pinholes. Take note of the jetting while your in there.

Check the conditon of the orings while your in there. Could very well be still good. You may want to buy new jet block gaskets. Make sure you get genuine Mikuni brand stuff. If you need a source to get any of this stuff you can contact Sean Morley from Morley Muscle. You can find his info on the ad banner on the top of the forum. Email Sean, he normally has these parts in stock.

Note that these bikes in stock form won't run right if the carb vents aren't properly routed and the airbox installed.

If your scroll through the forum here you will find a carb section. In there, there are sticky threads on the top of the page that show detailed carb removal and overhaul. VERY USEFUL. Good Luck.

shotgun....interesting. it smells like it's running a bit rich, likely from a fouled plug and incomplete combustion would be my initial guess.

After 3+ years in storage, unless it had fuel stabilizer in it, it's more than likely the carbs will need a good clean.
Of course try the shotgun first, maybe the peashooter too (spraying a little SeaFoam down the carbs while running), for sure drain all old fuel and refresh, change fuel filter and double-check fuel tank for rust inside.
Then the most important thing is to sync the carbs! 5mns job but u need a 4-way vacuum gauge.

Nothing wrong wanting it to run like a monkey with it's tail on fire but...I like know I'll be able to safely STOP! Easy to bleed them brakes and visual the pads. Check the lines by slightly bending them and see if they have any dry rott issues. My word of wisdom for any new Vmax owner looking to fix up a bike is that for the price a "stealership" wants for factory parts, research it first here and see if a superior upgraded part can be had for less! Some parts are best being Yamaha original like carb parts but others like a brake line for example, you can go stainless for the price the dealer might charge. Keep in touch, posts lots of pics because we are all sick voyeures here.

Latest posts

Back