Bike Resto in full effect

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, missed the tooth problem. Yes, time for another gear. I have the screws and gears on hand.

This happened one other time and I can't remember what the customer did to fish it out but he was sucessful.

That orange gear looks like it was damaged when someone failed to properly mesh the clutch basket with it when installing the basket.

The one your to replace is the steel gear one on the other end of that same shaft. Its only accessible by removing the pan.
Also pay attention to which side of the gear is flush and which side has a recess. It matters.

When you remove the pan to do that gear swap maybe you'll get lucky and the washer will be in there?
Not sure which hole you said the washer went into?
The Gear case section is walled off pretty well from the crankcase.
There is a small drain back hole in there buts its got a pretty good lip on it so that washer shouldn't travel from the gear case to the crankcase.
You also have a gear case drain hole that might help as far as getting light in there or a piece of tie wire to feel around with. But I think the drain is on the wrong side to help you any here, not sure tho.
Good luck.
a6aryzu7.jpg
jutugyre.jpg

I was replacing the metal gear with the plastic one when the washer dropped into the transmission case. From what I can tell it is only accessible by two tiny windows into the oil pan area. I went and bought a bore cam and the area is so tight I can't even get it in there. Using a magnet in there to fish it out is also difficult because every gear and shaft is steel.

Ah, missed the tooth problem. Yes, time for another gear. I have the screws and gears on hand.

This happened one other time and I can't remember what the customer did to fish it out but he was sucessful.

Maybe you can let me know if that washer was stainless or regular steel. I'm wondering if a magnet will pick it up

I FINALLY got the washer out after spending hours on my back. The problem was that the washer isn't even weakly attracted to magnets. S0 90% of the time I spend with a magnet on a stick was for nothing. Finally I used a Harbor Freight bore scope with mirror attached to the end to locate it, and part of a wire hanger with the end bent into a 1/3 inch radius hook to retrieve it. For the love of God, please don't make the same mistake I did a drop hardware into that part of the engine. I was very close to tearing the engine apart. So I have the washer, and I got my 4 into 1 exhaust from UFO yesterday (its so sick) which means I will be installing it later today!!! Pictures to follow.

I started to put the UFO 4-1 exhaust on but the exhaust studs look bad so I'm ordering some in 304 stainless. The right side rear foot peg bracket that supports the muffler was also chopped up so I ordered a replacement on ebay. I got a bunch of pieces back from powder coaters so I can assemble a few more parts today. Here are some pictures. The headlight, exhaust, and tach are not attached. I need to modify the headlight brackets first.
DSC02819.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02815.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02813.jpg

Thanks. I'm making a push to get this done in a week so that I'll have a week before Daytona bike week to get used to the bike.

All I can say is WOW! As far as dropping parts down there, I would have been so pissed off I would have picked up the motor and shook it upside down until the washer fell out!

All I can say is WOW! As far as dropping parts down there, I would have been so pissed off I would have picked up the motor and shook it upside down until the washer fell out!

Ya I actually considered hanging the engine from a hoist and doing that. It was terrible lol. Anyways, I should have my hardware from Mcmaster-Carr tomorrow. It's more stainless for the exhaust studs, engine mounts, and other visible bolts, washers, and nuts. If anyone needs hardware I strongly suggest Mcmaster. I've been prepping some of the last parts for paint. I'm repairing and filling in the indentations on the radiator covers. I had a minor setback were the hydro print design I ordered is back order but I found another one I should be able to get. Check it out.
obj89geo77pg1p21.jpg

This keeps getting better. I managed to drop the silver washer that goes on the oil pump drive gear into the case. I've been trying to use a magnet and mirror to get it out to no effect. I really hope this isn't a situation that will lead to me having to split the case to get it out. I'm going to try some more tomorrow to get it out and maybe get a bore inspection camera from harbor freight.

As far as those screws, they are 2.95 each from the dealer and there are 6 of them. If you have easy access to them that will be great.

If you look closely at that orange gear two of the teeth have broken corners.

Shit mate. I beat myself up for doing things like dropping washers into engines.
I would hate for you to have to split the crankcase just for that! I don't know how you have gone getting the sucker out, but heres something that (annoys the crap out of me, but it) works.

After I get frustrated I can't stop because I have to get it out. So I go and get my girlfriend.
She doesn't have a clue, and looks really worried when I tell her about it.
What I do is get her to get the f*ing thing out!
:biglaugh:
I always clear the area, set it all up with any clean tools she could use etc etc. She hasn't let me down yet!
Man, she can find shit I've dropped on the ground that I thought was gone forever.

I find it useful to wind her up a bit at other times, telling her she needs me to lift heavy shit, and that I can do anything better and faster than her. Makes her try harder when I need her help! :rofl_200:
Also, sometimes plasticine or blue-tac on a screwdriver works when a magnet doesn't.

ps. personally wouldn't worry about the damage on the edge of the plastic gear. It's not on the load bearing surface. If you want to be fussy, just smooth the damage out with a file.

Haha I'll keep that in mind. Next GF definitely will have to like to get dirty. About the gear, I know you are right and I considered just putting it back, but if I did I would know there was a busted up gear driving the oil pump and it would always be in the back on my mind. Most things I'm not anal about but some things I am. I've tried to get every issue with this bike resolved. It had alot of issues haha.

Haha I'll keep that in mind. Next GF definitely will have to like to get dirty. About the gear, I know you are right and I considered just putting it back, but if I did I would know there was a busted up gear driving the oil pump and it would always be in the back on my mind. Most things on not anal about but some things I am.

I'm the same too. It's about knowing that it's there.
Well, it's 12:00 noon on Friday in Australia, and I'm going home now!

Have a nice Friday! :punk:

At the time you are saying this i still have 5 more hours of sleep before i get up to go to work and the guys on the land of the free and brave are still thinking of going to bed the day prior... LOL

I'll be giving you shit Sunday afternoon when I am drinking beers and working on the bike and you are at work on Monday.:biglaugh:

Last edited:
The wave rotors came in. I also cut the head light bracket to fit. I did some other small stuff also. Should be done soon.
DSC02820.jpg

DSC02821.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

DSC02823.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

Latest posts

Back