Bike wobbles in agressive turns

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonoran6

Reaction score
Seems to happen more when taking right turns and at first I chalked it up to me just being a new rider. After a recent trip through the Salt River Canyon here in AZ, I decided that it must be something related to my suspension. To describe the wobble is difficult, it isn't constant and has happened on different occasions with varying speeds and lean angles. I did take note that it is happening usually on right leans, but has rarely happened on left leans too. It starts off subtle then gets more violent until the bike is back upright. This is terrifying because it changes my line and has forced me into oncoming traffic lanes. Any help diagnosing and fixing this issue would be very appreciated.

You might want to invest in an Aftermarket Fork Brace and Frame Braces.
Sean Morley is offering New Frame Braces now for a reasonable Price.
I would check the Steering Head Bearings, Front and Rear Wheel Bearings and Front/Rear Tire wear also, but it mostly sounds like Frame Flex which is common on a VMax.

Both of my bikes have aftermarket Springs, Emulators and are lowered 1" in the front. One has stock rear shocks and the other has Progressive 440's rear. Steering head bearings are adjusted to perfection. No wallow or wobble at all on the latter, Slight on the first. But,,, I've had the one with stock shocks in powerslides around curves at 60-80 mph and the bike tracks just fine. I do not have fork or frame braces...

Use great caution until you find a fix... Please.

Sean posted a video on steering head bearings, so I can check that. As far as wheel bearings go, how do I check them?

Sean posted a video on steering head bearings, so I can check that. As far as wheel bearings go, how do I check them?

Grab the wheel and feel for play. If the wheel wiggles side to side they are junk. Check to see if it spins free.

Based on your description, it sounds like frame/swingarm flex.

Seems to happen more when taking right turns and at first I chalked it up to me just being a new rider. After a recent trip through the Salt River Canyon here in AZ, I decided that it must be something related to my suspension. To describe the wobble is difficult, it isn't constant and has happened on different occasions with varying speeds and lean angles. I did take note that it is happening usually on right leans, but has rarely happened on left leans too. It starts off subtle then gets more violent until the bike is back upright. This is terrifying because it changes my line and has forced me into oncoming traffic lanes. Any help diagnosing and fixing this issue would be very appreciated.

It sounds like what I was experiencing, at one time. It feels like things are shifting and flexing. It went away, after I installed solid motor mounts and a braced swingarm. I did them both at the same time, so I can't attribute the solution to one or the other. Although, it may have needed both to stiffen up the frame adequately.

It sounds like what I was experiencing, at one time. It feels like things are shifting and flexing. It went away, after I installed solid motor mounts and a braced swingarm. I did them both at the same time, so I can't attribute the solution to one or the other. Although, it may have needed both to stiffen up the frame adequately.

I know the feeling. I equate it to trying to ride a dog that is wagging its tail. I only felt it when pushing hard thru turns. Progressive springs w/intiminators, 440's out back, and solid mounts made things better but that feeling was still there. It did not go away until I installed a braced arm, radials, and USD forks.

Seems to me the common factor is a braced swingarm which, makes sense to me because the feeling was coming from the back end of the bike. I think it would be interesting to hear from someone that has installed a braced arm and no other handling mods and see if that has taken care of the wagging feeling.

madbcmb Based on your description said:
I've had the same hinge under my seat experence on fast turns at 70 to 80mph. My friend was right on my ass with his R6. He told me he could actually see my swingarm flexing as I went into a high speed turn. :bike1:

Pass your hand palm along the tire and feel for high spots, if you feel high and low spots, it is time for a new front tire. Difficult to spot with bare eyes, use the palm. All other mods and adjustments will noticeably improve the ride, but musts start off a good tire :)

Pass your hand palm along the tire and feel for high spots, if you feel high and low spots, it is time for a new front tire. Difficult to spot with bare eyes, use the palm. All other mods and adjustments will noticeably improve the ride, but must start off a good tire :)

What kind of rear tire do you have? Most have a cross sectional profile that has a "break" in it, a sudden transition of curvature. They are no good. You need one with an as round and smooth as possible profile. The wobble is initiated when you lean far enough to pass this "transition" point on the tire. I know. I experienced the same. Took me two years to finally attribute it to the tire and not to my lack of riding skill. I have an Avon Venom now, round as a balloon, now it corners beautifully. The left/right discrepancy is simply because everyone has a "favourite" side, one you feel more comfortable on, so unconsciously you`ll lean further that side so the problem will occur more frequently. Of course, all other measures mentioned here will help, but only improve, not solve. First things first: the tire. Cure the disease in stead of treating the symptoms.

Shinko 230 front and back. Back is 170. They're not new, bout 3000 miles on em, 85% strait highway riding with the occasional twisty mountain run. No irregularity to wear on either tire. Does the venom come in OEM sizes?

I'd say you're getting the frame wobble. I had the same with my '86, and I had a beefed up fork brace, progressive springs and Intiminators up front, and Progressive 440 shocks on the rear, with the same tires you're running.

Your solutions are:

1. Frames braces or solid motor mounts
2. Braced swing arm

SMM is the cheapest, you can get a set for around $50. Frame braces is the easiest - you just bolt them on. Swing arm is the most expensive I think, depending on whether you're buying it or doing it yourself..

On my 05 with 22,000 miles I never experience this problem and I love the twisties. I run Avon Venoms and keep my front tight as shown in Shawns excellent you tube vid.

However I do not believe my bike was built to handle like a R-1 so I don't push it like an R-1, but I push it good with no problems.

I would invest in the frame brace if I were you but I would hesistate to invest alot more money. You may be better of buying a Sport Bike for your canyon carving and alot happier.

Hope it works out for you.

O

LOL!!!! Some of these solutions are near ridiculous! A Vmax is a 625++lb unbalanced monster!! They were built for one purpose, and one purpose only. Straight line performance! Be thankful they handle as well as they do! As for the original posters problem, I would check the tire pressures first. I would then checkto see if somewhere along the line the tires were mixed up, as in a radial on the front, bias on the back. I would check my swingarm bearings. Check the rear wheel bearings over, you could have a bad one which is allowing the wheel to cock a little when turning, and causing the rear disc to drag on the brake pads. Then I would look my rear shocks over real good. Any signs of a leak? Even just a little oil on the shaft is a leak. If all looks good, I would start playing with shock adjustments. By the sounds of it to me, (the bike starts wallowing in the turn, then gets worse) you have a rear suspension problem, or something dragging and causing the suspension to do funny things.
If you want a Max to corner with the precision, and accuracy of a sportbike....then buy one

LOL!!!! Some of these solutions are near ridiculous! A Vmax is a 625++lb unbalanced monster!! They were built for one purpose, and one purpose only. Straight line performance! Be thankful they handle as well as they do! As for the original posters problem, I would check the tire pressures first. I would then checkto see if somewhere along the line the tires were mixed up, as in a radial on the front, bias on the back. I would check my swingarm bearings. Check the rear wheel bearings over, you could have a bad one which is allowing the wheel to cock a little when turning, and causing the rear disc to drag on the brake pads. Then I would look my rear shocks over real good. Any signs of a leak? Even just a little oil on the shaft is a leak. If all looks good, I would start playing with shock adjustments. By the sounds of it to me, (the bike starts wallowing in the turn, then gets worse) you have a rear suspension problem, or something dragging and causing the suspension to do funny things.
If you want a Max to corner with the precision, and accuracy of a sportbike....then buy one

Sorry but no way :confused2: Considering the weight of the Max, it`s remarkably balanced, I can keep it upright with a single finger
They just put the wrong tires on it: perfect for straight-line, lots-a-grip, use all power you have to launch without spinning, dragging
But the right tire will make it handle just as well as any bike
To get it up to modern standards of course you can reduce flexing, improve suspension,...
But there aren`t many out there who can push the Max to its limits and have any ground for complaining :biglaugh:

Most of us don't need the Vmax to corner like a sportbike, we just want it to corner safely. It doesn't matter what bike it is, if it wallows and bucks in a long sweeping corner at or under the speed limit, there is an issue that needs to be addressed. My '88 had all new bearing (swingarm, head and wheels), rebuilt front suspension with progressive shocks, stock rear suspension in good condition and good tires properly inflated... and it still wallowed scarily.

My '92 by contrast, has a fork brace, frame brace, swingarm brace and solid motor mounts... and it corners with confidence. No more hinge under the seat feel... Just my :twocents:

Back