bikes dies after riding for a little bit then wont start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewb2332

Reaction score
I've been working on my 85 for a little bit now and got it running and everything, noticed that the spark plug wires are arcing to the motor so I ordered new ones, but I can still ride it's just very rough. I know it's not a good idea doing that probably but it's just around my block, but the thing is when I ride it out of nowhere it just dies sometimes I can start it again others I can't just depends how long I rode it before it died. I just put a new battery in so I know it's not that, I was wondering if the stator or regulator is bad or if the spark plug wires arcing is causing the bike to die, because the times I can't start it if I let it sit for like an hour it tries to crank again. I don't know what is going on.

If you have a volt meter check battery@ cold then at start then at idle then at ( I think @ 2500 rpms ) There's a search function try hot starts . also since plug wires could be a case of dry rot try spraying your carb boots with wd 40 or check with unlit propane to see if any boots are cracked . I'm sure others will be along for better advice shortly . you say you have an 85 are you listed in the oldest surviving thread ?
(vin number )

Yep....sounds like the regulator. Do you know what the volt reading is at idle....and then again at 2000 to 2500 rpm? Do you know if the fan was running on the bike?

Check the ohms of the pick up coil, (not the ignition primary coils!) sounds like an intermittent short. Runs when cold, then the circuit opens to non-conducting and the bike won't run. Let it cool down, and the bike runs again. If the pick up coil is giving you an infinite reading when the bike stops running, you likely found the issue.

Search recent posts for a cheap aftermarket replacement.

I believe the '85-'89 use two pick up coils.

The volts were reading 14.0 at idle then dropped to 13.6 when I raised the rpms then when I brought it back down to idle it was at 13.3

Did the fan kick on? Did you check you coils like Fire-Medic suggested? Let it get hot and check stuff out

I've been working on my 85 for a little bit now and got it running and everything, noticed that the spark plug wires are arcing to the motor so I ordered new ones, but I can still ride it's just very rough. I know it's not a good idea doing that probably but it's just around my block, but the thing is when I ride it out of nowhere it just dies sometimes I can start it again others I can't just depends how long I rode it before it died. I just put a new battery in so I know it's not that, I was wondering if the stator or regulator is bad or if the spark plug wires arcing is causing the bike to die, because the times I can't start it if I let it sit for like an hour it tries to crank again. I don't know what is going on.
Do suspect the charging system on these bikes. The early Gen 1's especially. They need upgrades to be up to snuff usually. Stator do go bad and regulators from later models are more reliable. Grounding issues are a big culprit. Dig into the many threads on these issues.

Back