VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The story doesn't add up. Get the milage for certain.
If it is low miles, then MAYBE you can just fix the water leak and bed the rings in and have a good bike.
It sounds bad, but it also has the possibility of being good.

It's a gamble if you don't know engines well.

Sorry for the late reply guys

I do not have any new information on the bike other than to clarify a few details:

1. I live in Lima Ohio Sorry for the mix up! lol

2. Thank you very much for complementing my Engrish skills!

2. Over the last couple years the bike has not been ridden much but when it was first bought that is how much it was ( a quart every two weeks.

3. Ive decided that I am not going to pay $1000 for this bike, whether its worth parts or not.

I know this may sound crazy but I am going to try and get the bike for free. I am going to say that in exchange for having rights to ride the motor cycle I will begin working on fixing it. The guy is old has a harley, already and I just graduated College so I think he is kinda sappy right now.

Questions:

What is the likelihood that the head itself is warped?

How hard is it to do a compression test?

Are there any resources available that would give me the knowledge to take apart the motor and replace what needs to be replaced? Like one of those repair manuals for certain cars?

and the Number 1 question: I like to think I have a level head and I think I have alot of self control.... However this will be my first bike if I buy it... am I going to kill myself? I plan on taking the motorcycle class local to lima OHIO! lol

Questions:

What is the likelihood that the head itself is warped?

I doubt it would be, unless it was ran real real hard.

How hard is it to do a compression test?
As easy as screwing in a sparkplug, and pressing a button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_tbksFYhl4

Are there any resources available that would give me the knowledge to take apart the motor and replace what needs to be replaced? Like one of those repair manuals for certain cars?
Right here is an abundance of information, just feel free to ask away. You can also download a repair manual here
and an owners manual here.

and the Number 1 question: I like to think I have a level head and I think I have alot of self control.... However this will be my first bike if I buy it... am I going to kill myself? I plan on taking the motorcycle class local to lima OHIO! lol
Take your time, and you'll be fine.

Welcome to VMF Alex. I was just in Lima last weekend! Tell the guy the facts about the engine, and maybe he will cut the price in half. Then you can either add coolant and oil and ride it "as is" until you repair or replace the engine. Look up Sean Morley on here for your engine needs, and be careful riding the max as a first bike!!

Well, KJ covered your questions pretty well.

If I was to offer any advice, I would see if you can get hold of a bore-o-scope, some sort of an eye on a stick, a camera you can lower down the plug hole.
If you get a digital camera in there, and take a load of pictures looking down on top of the pistons, and back up at the valves, you can get some really really good advise on here. Post up the pics!

They aren't very common, but you never know!

I have 35k miles on my max, has no leaks, no blue smoke, and she burns oil according to millage....ever since I got it at 18k miles.
If I rode 100+ miles a week, i would probably be putting oil in every now and then also.
Usually after 500 miles of spirited riding I will get the oil light on when accelerating (time to check the oil)

he probably never checked his coolant from since he had it since it was air cooled like his Harley......probably just all evaped away.

A quart every 2 weeks has to be after a lot of riding, unless its spitting oil out the tailpipes, thats a lot of oil disapearing somewhere.

Since its family, ride it for a month for free and see if anything changes....the Max needs to be ridden....it just grows old and decreped sitting too long.

Coolant is in a pressurized sealed system....I don't think it evaporates away. 1 quart every 2 weeks is not even close to normal...it's either leaking or getting past the rings. If you run that thing without coolant for any length of time the heads will warp. The good news is that it's still running and seems to have good power...so whatever damage there is could be managable...IMHO

Don't even think you are gonna pull this motor apart and "fix" it. You wouldn't even know what to look for BUT...if your going the motorsports repair school, what a great project gor the advanced class! Won't cost you a ton and you keep it in the family!

Welcome to the forun. As far as a bike not ridden or maintained? I wouldn't. Low milage means little on older bikes. And, can be a don't buy signal. 12k on mine when I bought it. The owner was afraid to ride it and his wife wanted it gone. He wanted to throw in enough Mobil 1 10w-30 for another oil change. I didn't say anything to him as I knew I'd be draining the oil out when I got home.
Start with my new brake and clutch masters, and flushing out all the crud brake fluid. The slipping clutch at speed, after getting the V-boost working. I worked for Yamaha then, and got stuff at cost. I also allowed for a $600 parts lay out, by offering 1k less. If a shop did the work? I'd would of had a good down payment on a new Gen 1,with the price of the bike included.

Back