Brake Fluid

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98blackvmax

Reaction score
Quick question bought brake fluid DOT 5.1 for my XR650l sold it for my Max can I use that fluid in my 1998 Max

Thanks Rob M.

i believe you can, however you'll want to completely bleed the lines as is....

you may want to upgrade lines as well???

i'll let others chime in

We just had a recent thread about brake fluids - apparently 5.1 can be mixed freely with others, so I would say yes but can't swear by it.

I think a good flush is always a good idea, especially if the fluid's older than two years or you don't know how long it's been in.

i don't think mine's ever been done..

its one of the next things on the list... probably goign to throw some EBC pads up front, and probably in the back when i do it...

i'd love to do another prolite rotor in the back w/the pads but i can't justify it when the rotor in the back is just fine.

Just use the DOT 4 synpower from valvoline. It's got as high if not higher boiling point and it's readily available at Auto-Zone.

5.1 CAN be used in DOT 3 and 4. 5 can NOT.

Just use the DOT 4 synpower from valvoline. It's got as high if not higher boiling point and it's readily available at Auto-Zone.

5.1 CAN be used in DOT 3 and 4. 5 can NOT.

so 5.1, 3 and 4 are all interchangable...

5 is its own breed...

eh?

Thanks everyone for the info now I can put my chrome resivoir covers on without going to get more brake fluid.

Rob M.

Does the Dot 5.1 eat the paint on the masters? I want to switch to a fluid that I dont have to worry about ruining the paint on my new master.

Is a Dot 5 brake fluid compatable with stock brake system or only Dot 5.1?

DOT 5 is all by itself. not compatible. 5.1 is.

unsure on paint. just wipe it off when ur done tho.

Does the Dot 5.1 eat the paint on the masters? I want to switch to a fluid that I dont have to worry about ruining the paint on my new master.

Is a Dot 5 brake fluid compatable with stock brake system or only Dot 5.1?
Assume all of them will eat paint !

Great writeup on the various fluid types.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-brakefluid.html

This is what I typically use in my cars and during the next fluid change in the Max
ate_superblueracing_BF.jpg
ate_amberbrakefluid20_m.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=21
and
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/accessoryDetail.jsp?ID=22

The two fluids are essentially the same formulation just a different color. It makes it very easy to tell when you have bled out the entire system.

I also run the super racing blue in everything and have been extremely happy with it. I switched after loosing my front brakes nearly completely coming down a mountain pass with the sidecar on the rocket and some passengers in tow. Boiled the fluid and glazed over my pads. Switched to HH pads and hi-temp fluid and all has been good ever since.

The 5.0 has silicone in it, and is NOT compatible with the others as noted above. It will eat the internals of your system.

Oh yeah, they all eat paint better than paint remover, so be careful and wipe it up.

Back