Brake light problems...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
I've lost brakelights when using the front brake only. The brake light works when the rear brake is used. I have all turn signals, high/low beam. What's going on? I see there are two little wires coming from the front brake lever, they seem to be properly connected. I sprayed some contact cleaner and still no light, do you suppose the switch has gone bad? Help me chase my little electrical gremlin please. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had this happen on my 88, turned out to be a bad connection at the connectors of the two wires you discribe.

Pull the two wires from the brake master cilinder, check the contacts for corrosion/dirt.
With the ignition on, connect the two wires together, brake light should come on. If it does, the problem is a bad connection or the switch inside the master cilinder itself. If the brake light still doesn't come on with the two wires connected, the problem is further down in the wiring.

Hope this helps.

I've had this happen on my 88, turned out to be a bad connection at the connectors of the two wires you discribe.

Pull the two wires from the brake master cilinder, check the contacts for corrosion/dirt.
With the ignition on, connect the two wires together, brake light should come on. If it does, the problem is a bad connection or the switch inside the master cilinder itself. If the brake light still doesn't come on with the two wires connected, the problem is further down in the wiring.

Hope this helps.

That helps a great deal. I pulled the wires off and touched them together, the brake light worked. The connections look good and show no corrosion, so I suppose the switch has gone bad. I can't remember....does the front brake on the vmax make a little clicking noise when pulled while working properly. I should know this....I know my other bikes do. Regardless, this one does not. Thanks for the tip. I've ordered a new switch, and will make sure that back brake pedal is pressed whenever anyone is behind me till it gets here!

Last edited:
That helps a great deal. I pulled the wires off and touched them together, the brake light worked. The connections look good and show no corrosion, so I suppose the switch has gone bad. I can't remember....does the front brake on the vmax make a little clicking noise when pulled while working properly. I should know this....I know my other bikes do. Regardless, this one does not. Thanks for the tip. I've ordered a new switch, and will make sure that back brake pedal is pressed whenever anyone is behind me till it gets here!

The front brake light switch can be taken apart if you're careful. There's a set of contact points that prolly need cleaning up, a points file works well if you have one, or a fingernail file.

I replaced mine, as you are doing, then took the bad switch apart and cleaned the contacts up. Now I have a spare, JIC.

Common problem.....it's the switch. Clean it up and it'll work again...for awhile!

Dale #2592

the connectors aren't that great. mine had popped off i don't know how long ago so i was running w/out a front brake light for probably a few hundred miles. just bent the pins back in and re-connected and it fixed it.

yes it should make a clicking noise! i had to replace my clutch switch when i got my bike as it had been sitting for a while so the plunger had been stuck down. i could pull it out and it'd work right but i think the spring was shot.

Back