Broke a brake lever!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
Was reversing the bike out of a driveway and caught the rear header on the edge of the kerb.

Lifted the bike with the handlebars and freed it up but while I was lifting my arm applied force to the brake lever and SNAP.

The bastard broke clean off near where the lever meets the pivot screw:surprise:
Thought I hand a spare at home but no.

Anyway I need a new one in a hurry and I was wondering whether the brake handle is

a) Specific to the V-max and therefore an order in item :ummm:
b) Shared by other models :ummm:
c) Generic fitting readily available.:ummm:

Any clues :ummm:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Main&catId=&productId=p57410&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Just click the link I supplied for you and order ya one its for a VMAX and if you order within 15 hours it will go out. Dennis Kirk is pretty quick about shipping and its only 5.95 I would order an extra and also a clutch lever. They are cheap.... Ohh Maleko said ya can charge it to him since he has made so much money off of rebuilding carbs

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Main&catId=&productId=p57410&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Just click the link I supplied for you and order ya one its for a VMAX and if you order within 15 hours it will go out. Dennis Kirk is pretty quick about shipping and its only 5.95 I would order an extra and also a clutch lever. They are cheap.... Ohh Maleko said ya can charge it to him since he has made so much money off of rebuilding carbs

Hey, thanks for the link Lankee. I've bookmarked it for future reference. Shipping to Sydney Australia could blow out my leads times though. It's a two hour drive to Yamaha's head office and warehouse from where I live so that might work better for me).

I will definitely (charge it to Mark :rofl_200: Thanks Mark :punk:) and get a spare set. :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Guess I was really trying to figure out if it would be likely that a nearby dealer would carry a generic replacement part or not :ummm:

I would guess most late 80s Yamahas shared the same lever, but I don't know what models specifically. I'd order a new one and then take the broken one to the closest bike shop and find anything that was close. Just jury rig it until the new one gets there. In theory, I hear you can weld these back up.

there are some carbon fiber (painted) or black ones on ebay really cheap too.... not sure about hwo quick it'll be tho

I bought my levers from Jagmotorcycle but I cannot find them listed anymore. It looks like i5motorcycle may still be the same vendor because the ad looks almost exactly the same as jagmotorcycle. Price is the same as I paid for my set, $9.95 for the pair.
I will email you my info on them.

i bought them from i5motorcycle as well, just the carbon fiber ones...

they went on great.. the threading for where the bolt goes on the brake side to activate the piston could have been done better but it worked fine.. just needed the bolt to go thru it a couple times and it worked itself out... i may actually pick up another set to have as a backup...

seems like levers are going down left and right lately!

If your break was in this area, you could always do something I did when a lever broke. It's ugly, but it's only temporary until you get another lever and it gets you on the road.

Attachments

• DSCF2746.JPG
    DSCF2746.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 26
If your break was in this area, you could always do something I did when a lever broke. It's ugly, but it's only temporary until you get another lever and it gets you on the road.

Nice improvised repair.

I was contemplating this same fix last night but I was worried the thing might let go under braking. The metal in the old lever is poor quality, course grained, (not solid like a good billet piece) so I thought I'd wait and see if I could get a clone lever from a local dealer this morning.

Picked up the clone for about $10 and have ordered an original as a spare.

BTW, I had been planing to make my own custom levers, scoops, side covers etc for my next bike build and I'm in the process of building a furnace for metal casting but that's a subject for a new thread.

Back