Broken cam cap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde4121

Reaction score
This site has been great, for the positive and helpful feedback on my VMax challanges.

My next challange (and I have a lot of vmax challanges) is that the rocker cover has retaining bolts that attach into the cam caps to hold the rocker cover in place.

one of these cam caps has been damaged with the thread portion smashed. The issue is that there is no new yamaha spares of just the replacement cam cap. Yamahas solution is a whole new head. the damage to the cam cap does not affect its performace, but it does prevent the cover from forming a tight seal, and hence weeps oil. Any ideas o how to repair a damaged cam cap?

You might want to do a search. I can't remember whom right off the top of my head, but someone else had this issue too a while back.

Not sure if it can be welded up or heli-coiled. I could send you a box of caps and let you use the one that fits the best and send back the rest. That's what Fargo recently did.

Sean

Not sure if it can be welded up or heli-coiled. I could send you a box of caps and let you use the one that fits the best and send back the rest. That's what Fargo recently did.

Sean

That's sounds like the best solution for you - I had to do the same thing on my 96 max after I broke one after over tightening one of the valve cover bolts and snapping the cap - ended up buying some caps off ebay to replace the one I broke :bang head: and used plastigauge to find the one that had the closest tolerance to the original and forget that it ever happened.

Mike

Sean

This sounds the best solution. I would be keen to package these up along with the jet kit and filters. The air box and cam cap issue have been major stumbling blocks to finishing this project.

You'll just need to mail the ones you don't need back so no charge for the cap and only some added shipping. Make sure you note that on our regular emails otherwise I may forget.

Sean

Back