Bumbed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntbaril

Reaction score
Hi ya'll! I have a 96 max that died suddenly and it's making me crazy. It all started one warm summer ride, going about 70, and someone shut off the key!! That's what it seemed like. A fellow biker came along and we determined the fuel pump wasn't working. We direct wired it and nothing. I bought a new pump,(OUCH), and it worked fine but now no spark. After 3 hours of tracing, I determined the pick-up coil was "open". My question is, WHY!!??? Are the fuel pump and coil connected or did I inadvertently touch a wrong wire? If I replace the coil,(BIG OUCH), will it just fry again? I am losing my abilty to ride, ( health issues), and would like to ride again before I can't. Any help would be great!! Thanks...Tag

Tag, sorry to hear this. The pickup coil is only attached to to the ignitor via the black and orange wires.

are you sure it isn't the actual key switch or even the kill switch? I can always send you some parts to test with and sell you what you end up needing.

Sean Morley

are you sure it isn't the actual key switch or even the kill switch? I can always send you some parts to test with and sell you what you end up needing.

Sean Morley

pretty damn good deal if ya ask me

I won't be as cheap as ebay prices but of course you are only paying for what actually fixes the bike and extra shipping to get the unused parts back. Not too many people are willing to even do this sort of thing. The pricing would be about half of new normally.

Sean

...and I'd like to add that it looks and sounds like there might not have been anything wrong with that orig. fuel pump anyway.

Awesome offer of used parts by Sean Morley. That's why this forum is so great!

:clapping:

Sean Morley
+1 on the damned good deal. Sean is, once again, going well above and beyond to make someones day.
Way to go Sean.:punk::punk::punk:

:confused2:Thanks guys! I tested the ignition switch and every other switch,ie: side stand, relays, v-boost, and the only one with no reading,(open circuit) was the pickup coil. I may take you up on your deal Sean when I determine It won't just fry the new parts. Thanks Again..........Tag

Sean Morley
SEAN , NOTHING FOR NOTHING , YOU ARE THE MAN !...:punk:

I did test the old fuel pump and it was toast. There was no resistance in the coil of it all. I also tried it on my test bench to no avail. The new one worked great just no spark. I would take it to our local Yamaha dealer but they're as worthless ass tits on a steer. Our Suzuki dealer however does good work but not crazy about working on the V-Max. So here I sit.......Tag

Yup I tested all the fuses. The coil is shot It reads open and should read about 10-15 ohms I believe. The new fuel pump works and there is power to the coils Ign box,etc. I just hope I don't fry a new coil. Thanks Guys!

:biglaugh:Hi Guys! I found the problem with Max!! The black and orange wire going to the pickup coil is spliced about 2 inches from where they enter the case. These splices were not insulated and the balack wire burned in two. The coil is still godd and it should run great. The black plastic tube the wires run through was also full of oil?? Thanks for all the help! Tag:biglaugh:

Back