Buying a Max- Could use some advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowdyMax

Reaction score
OK men (and gals), I'd like to pose a scenario to you to help me decide on a VMax purchase. A friend of mine has a 99 Vmax for sale. Here's the goods on it:

28,000 Km's
17 inch rear wheel mod- (Radials in great shape)
Supertrapp exhaust
front fork mod done
ISO grips
passenger backrest
TBoost installed

The bike has a few other tidbits which I can't recall. He's asking $9000. CAD. The blackbook value is $6050 CAD.

With the current fluctuation in the Cad/ US rates, the Vmax normally sells for $ 12,500 CAD. I can now get my hands on an '07 brand spankin' new for $9900.

My dilema is whether to go for a bike that has the mods done already, or start fresh with the new one and live with a stock bike for a few years. For those in the know, help me understand how much improvement comes with the mods described. I'd appreciate any feedback to help me see this through someone elses eyes...Your turn.:ummm:

That's pretty darn steep in my opinion. I have a friend in the states that just told me he is selling his 98 and wants $5000 for it. There isn't that much in mods that you have listed so you could easily get those same mods done (and go to a full header for even better running). I don't recall what all mods to this bike have been done so far but I am sure he has done a few.

Sean Morley

I paid $5200 usd for my '99 which I bought in 2005

It had 9300 miles and was in showroom perfect condition, the only way you could tell it was used was to look at the odometer or the year model tag on the frame.

I'm not sure what you mean by front fork mod but every Vmax needs the following in most peoples opinions including mine.

Front springs and maybe cartridge emulators
Better rear shocks
The ability to mount radials on the rear is also highly desirable

Other items a lot of people go after are;
Frame braces,
Fork brace
Solid motor mounts

All the above done together will get you a fairly respectable handling Vmax that won't scare you to death at the mere sight of a curve.

A seat modification by Morley, Sprotmax, or UFO is also something a lot of people are doing.
Some buy the Corbin but it doesn't "look right" on the bike in some peoples opinions but some like it.

Just about everyone wants an exhaust sooner or later, a full exhaust system runs about $800-900

Supertrapp/Kerker slip-ons are less but the slip-on is a bit of a compromise since the head pipes on the Vmax are fairly restrictive and HEAVY!

If the bike has mods you're gonna want anyway there's nothing wrong buying it already modded as long as it han't been beaten on to bad. IF the price is good.

But it sounds to me like the price he's asking is WAY HIGH for that year, miles and mods.

I don't know what is involved in buyng a bike in the US and bringing it into Canada but I think I'd look into it before I paid that much for a Vmax

Hope this helps,

Rusty

I'd buy the new one for 9900 WAY before spending 9000 for the well used '99.

New is almost always better and in the case of the Vmax it IS! The small updates they've made to the engine and trans and what not are worth it. Wheels and radial tires are 2500 bucks max and you can get them a lot cheaper... I say buy new!:thumbs up:

I just paid $5,000 for my 2000 w/1200 mi.(came with yamaha passenger backrest & frame sliders.)

Mods I have already gathered for installation....

18" Carrozzeria front and rear wheels - $1200 (ebay)
New 180-55-18 dunlop d207 tire - $95 (ebay)
New 120-70-18 dunlop roadsmart tire - $125 (online)
Used yamaha mini flyscreen - $50 (forum member)
Used Fjr1300 brake master cylinder - $45 (ebay)
Used R1 Calipers - $32 (ebay)
New Flanders 31" drag bar - $18 (ebay)
New cateye tailight - $85 (online)
New mini blinkers - $38 (online)
New Racetech front springs -$110 (online)
New Racetech gold emulators -$150 (online)

$5000 + $1948 = $6948

that puts mine in the general neighborhood as the one you are looking at Mod wise for $2000 less (usd anyway)

I would say get the new one and then you can modify it as you see fit.

Just my humble opinion......

Good luck

I would look for clean unmoddified bike with low miles. Modded bikes are usually ridden hard & put up wet.

OK men (and gals), I'd like to pose a scenario to you to help me decide on a VMax purchase. A friend of mine has a 99 Vmax for sale. Here's the goods on it:

28,000 Km's
17 inch rear wheel mod- (Radials in great shape)
Supertrapp exhaust
front fork mod done
ISO grips
passenger backrest
TBoost installed

The bike has a few other tidbits which I can't recall. He's asking $9000. CAD. The blackbook value is $6050 CAD.

With the current fluctuation in the Cad/ US rates, the Vmax normally sells for $ 12,500 CAD. I can now get my hands on an '07 brand spankin' new for $9900.

My dilema is whether to go for a bike that has the mods done already, or start fresh with the new one and live with a stock bike for a few years. For those in the know, help me understand how much improvement comes with the mods described. I'd appreciate any feedback to help me see this through someone elses eyes...Your turn.:ummm:

$9000 for a 99 is too much - I paid $8000 in 07 for a bone stock 06 with less than 2000miles ( in Ontario) - the upgrades listed on the 99 total about $1000

If budget allows, the newer the better - than upgrade the way u want it done.

Mike

I bought new in 04' and love my bike, BUT! sometimes I wish that I would have looked around and found a 95' or newer used bike. I could have saved alot of cash and done more to the bike by now. I probably would have still had problems spending the money on the mods I want though.

If I would have bought used I would be saying "I wish I woulda gotta new one"

Grass is always greener thing.

That sounds WAY too high to me. I bought my '07 Max, brand new in the crate for $9500 plus tax. If would have to be a REALLY clean REALLY tricked out Max to bring that sort of price.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for the input guys. Since posting, I went back and did some more homework and digging. His price has never sat well with me. In the back of my mind I would try to justify it in the sense that my buddy is meticulous with his bikes. He takes better care of them than any rider I've met. This bike was his baby until he recently picked up an '02 Vmax with a big bore, which now will take over draining his wallet.
It's worth mentioning that despite the recent change in dollar, older Vmax's are still commanding a high dollar north of the border. There's junk out there for $4K - 5K, but I have found a few in great shape.
One is an '06, but the guy is dreaming for 11K.
The second is a stock '02, and the asking price is $9.5K.
The third sounds to be the best of the lot. A retired guy, (in no rush to sell), has a stock '05 Anniversary edition, asking $8,500. I'm thinking he'll do $8200 if not $8000.

The thing that hold's me back on going for the '07 is throwing 1200 bucks away on taxes from the get go. I did that only 2 years ago and said I'd never do it again.

The option of buying south of the border appeals to me. From what I've researched, it sounds fairly painless when all the steps are followed, but still a bit of a hassle. I'm also leary of buying a major purchase long distance due to all the risks associated with fraud. It just seems easier to deal local and accept the fact that I'll pay a couple grand more for some piece of mind.
Some of you have have said the described mods on my bud's bike total around a thousand bucks. This surprised me as I thought the rear rim alone is around that. I also have to factor in any mods that I plan to do on a stock bike will be probably be purchased from the States. While this saves SOME money, brokerage fees to ship to Canada jump the price up even more. When I look at some of the prices of items you guys have bought aftermarket, I just shake my head. I'd pay alot more shipping the same items here (which has been my experience on my current bike).

So long story short, I'm going to take my buddy out for a pint and we'll talk numbers. If he decides to hold his price, which he's entitled, I'll move on.
My motives for starting this thread was to get my head around the value you guys placed on the typical mods for this bike. The feeling I get is that it wouldn't take much to get a stock bike up to snuff.
Again guys, thanks for the feedback. It helps me sort this stuff out in my head. :cheers:

If it's me in your shoes, I jump all over the anniversary edition.

You have to remember: I bought (literally) the next to the last Yamaha Vmax that was ever made.

That anniversary edition is going to be worth some serious bucks one day if kept up properly.

Regards,
Tom

I bought a stock (T-Boost equipped) 05' Max last spring with 4,200KM on it for $8,995.00 CAD. I was looking at a new 07 at the time but all the +++'s add up quickly.

What plus's?

A Vmax only comes one way...unless you add the windscreen and the rear sissy bar. Other than that, it doens't come any other way.

I'd be interested in knowing what Canada Yamaha dealers are offering that United States Dealers are not.

Regards,
Tom

What plus's?

A Vmax only comes one way...unless you add the windscreen and the rear sissy bar. Other than that, it doens't come any other way.

I'd be interested in knowing what Canada Yamaha dealers are offering that United States Dealers are not.

Regards,
Tom

I think he just means that mods add up quick. No Canadian dealer conspiracy theory needed.

Hey guys, I think he's talking about all the extras added on when you buy new from a dealer - sales taxes (PST & GST), PDI, transportation cost, etc....

I can add up to over $3000 over the orignal price of the bike itself.

Mike

:surprise: that is WAY to much , i just got a 2002 with 24k for $4000 hes trying to sell you a bike thats 8yrs old for $2000 less than a new one just because it has pipes and a sissy bar . pipes are not that much money , and if you have not seen my posts im about to trade some one my sissy bar for some ones stock grab bar , so if you realy want one some one like me would give you one for free . ppl here make trades like that all the time to help each other out .

I think he's talking about all the extras added on when you buy new from a dealer - sales taxes (PST & GST), PDI, transportation cost, etc

Ahhh. OK. I was just wondering if they got offerend factory mods that we didn't. My 07 after tax and all was $11,000 on the nose. (Sell price was $9500)

My wife visably winced writing the check out to pay for it. You've heard of people that can pinch a penny 'till it bleeds? My wife can pinch one 'till it gives up internal organs. She hated doing it, but she did it for me. :biglaugh:

She rules.

Regards,
Tom

Back