Can't shift from 2nd to neutral or first...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, so after many, many, many, many dollars and hours I was prepping to go for a test flight Saturday. First ride since my accident last August. I had installed the shifter and was installing the peg bracket when I realized that when we fabricated and welded on a new mount to the frame, we must have welded it a touch high because my shifter linkage was going to contact the peg bracket during an upshift.... :ummm: So, since the linkage was slightly bent I couldn't tighten/shorten the linkage enough as is, I cut the bend out of the fucker with a dremel - about a 1/4 inch, shortened it enough to mount onto the shift shaft at a higher angle (let's say it's at a 45degree instead of 90) to avoid hitting the peg bracket. Re-installed and fired up the bike. Started up shifting through the gears and back down to make sure I was good. No issues up to five and back down to 2..... Can't get into neutral or down to first, it's like I'm stomping on a steel plate.

I was just reading a post my Mark Milne in the transmission topic about a spec for the shift linkage and the length of the linkage needing to be between 30-34mm.... if I cut a 1/4" off, then shortened the linkage as much as I could there is NO way I am even close to that anymore. That said, downshifts translate into an upward movement on the shaft and I'm now hoping it's possible that it's simply not enough travel and is binding... I've also been told that if it's shifting fine between 2 thru 5, up and down, then it should go to neutral and first....

Assuming that it's NOT the shift linkage, does it sound like a shift segment? If not, I'm fucked.... :bang head:
I don't have the tools, facilities or skills to drop the motor and crack the case... hell, I won't even know what I'm looking for when I pull the clutch to examine a shift segment... I don't even know what a shift segment looks like :bang head:

I was so frustrated yesterday I wanted to push the bike over a cliff.... but it's in 2nd gear and that pig is a bitch to move while in gear :rofl_200:

So any advice you can offer....

It could be a shift segment issue. In this thred there is a good video of it.
(It's 8 o'clock from the orange gear.)
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=128598

But, like Sean mentioned; The engine will not shift properly if it's not rotating (or at least rocking back and forth). There are no sycnro's like a car has so it won't shift without some movement.

It could be a shift segment issue. In this thred there is a good video of it.
(It's 8 o'clock from the orange gear.)
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=128598

But, like Sean mentioned; The engine will not shift properly if it's not rotating (or at least rocking back and forth). There are no sycnro's like a car has so it won't shift without some movement.

I had the bike running when running through the gears :confused2:
I'll check out the video, thanks!

Your clutch could be stuck from sitting so long. You should put it on the center stand and try going thru the gears with the engine running. If you can shift it and get it in a gear try pressing on the rear brake with the clutch lever pulled in. If it stalls the engine down with the clutch lever pulled in clutch is stuck and it is my belief that its not going to shift right until you get the clutch broke loose, but I could be wrong on that remark.

If the gear selecter lever isn't on in the shift shaft in the correct position it will cause this problem. Sounds like this is your problem since you had to re-locate it so far. Remove the shift lever, move it down as far as you can and re-try it. I had this problem and discovered that I had installed the gear selecter lever a tad high. I moved it down and that fixed it.

Since you modified the design, you will have to bring the selector to a point were it will work. Try different positions until it does, or try to fix the issue that will not allow it to go on correctly.

Can anyone provide a picture of how it is supposed to be mounted? I've seen basically 2 different ways of mounting it and I can't find anything in the service manual to confirm....

Once you verify the shift parts position the clutch sticking could be one of the problems. They glue together when sitting for a long length of time. It's simple enough to remove them from the basket and crack them loose if thats the problem.

Sean

The part you had to cut out is $6.15. I don't have time to take a pic of mine right now but I can later this afternoon if no one has given you a photo by then. Here is a link with the part you need new, but someone might have have a used one on the forum they may give to ya. rod, shift #24
42X-18115-00-00 $6.15 http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/5154-yamaha-1986-v-max-vmx1200s/assemblies/156994

Stay calm, don't push the bike over the cliff yet!!

I've already emailed the stealership to order me the part :)
I guess I don't necessarily need a picture... if someone can just confirm that the direction that the segment mounts to the shift shaft on the parts fiche is accurate, then I put mine on backwards/upside down!! I suspect that my perception of not being able to shift from 2nd to neutral or first is actually the trans in 5th, with no more gears! Gawd I hope so.....
Here is a link for quick reference:
http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fic...y=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2002&fveh=1106
and if this is the case, you are all more than welcome to tar and feather me publicly.... but I'll be riding so try to keep up!! :punk:

I'm pretty sure my clutch is fine, I had the bike running when rolling through the gears and I can even move the bike in gear with the clutch pulled, albeit a bitch....

I guess I don't necessarily need a picture... if someone can just confirm that the direction that the segment mounts to the shift shaft on the parts fiche is accurate, then I put mine on backwards/upside down!! I suspect that my perception of not being able to shift from 2nd to neutral or first is actually the trans in 5th, with no more gears! Gawd I hope so.....
http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fic...y=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2002&fveh=1106
and if this is the case, you are all more than welcome to tar and feather me publicly.... but I'll be riding so try to keep up!! :punk:

I'm pretty sure my clutch is fine, I had the bike running when rolling through the gears and I can even move the bike in gear with the clutch pulled, albeit a bitch....

Will these help Shane?

Attachments

• 100_2436.jpg
    100_2436.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_2437.jpg
    100_2437.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 37

Don't be too disappointed , it may get you an award .............. Doh ! :rofl_200:

Sweet! Now that you have it fixed, go put your helmet and gear on then go ride that bitch! Nothing will make any embarassment disappear quicker than a trip to the Vboost zone!

LOL Danny! I love this Forum!!!!

I am the proud(???) recipient of the DUMBASS AWARD! I just PROPERLY mounted my shifter and all my issues went away. lol :bang head:

:rofl_200::clapping::rofl_200::clapping::rofl_200::clapping:

Latest posts

Back