Carb syncronizer/manometer choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Home made carb sync tool

I had to build one and try it out. Here is my effort.

Material cost <$10. Baby bottle has milliliter calibration on side and the teat was cut off to provide a pressure seal under the screw cap. The aluminium tube was a leftover from a fuel rail project. Internally sealed with silicon casket maker.

It works brilliantly. Try it yourself.

Right on man! Just a little thinking and some odds and ends makes a great tool!

Can we talk carb sync?

Ready to buy a sync tool.

I have narrowed it down to 3 choices….
The most expensive delivered to my door being this one:
http://www.carbtune.com/carbcust7.html

And the least being this one:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10111&storeId=10101&sku=CBR888813#BVQAWidgetID

And there’s this one in the midrange:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/syncpro%3Csup%3Eandtrade;%3C-sup%3E/

Someone in here awhile back had posted some pretty bad comments about the JCW guage set. But I found no other negative feedback about them anywhere else…

Anyone have any input as to which one is better value, and why?

Philthy

Re: Can we talk carb sync?

I've had extremely good luck with my motionpro, other than the neatness factor of some of the more innovative designs can't think of a reason to use anything else.

I got it for free but I think they can be had for about $65

Just keep it hanging carefully out of the way when storing it and they'll last a long time.

Mines got some kind of contamination in the mercury and wants to separate or bubble at the top but it still get's me to where I need to go.

BTW,

The Vmax is notorious for going out of synch in less than a month so it is a very worthwhile investment in my opinion.

Rusty

I use two vacuum gauges - one on the lead carb & the other I swap around to the other carbs one at a time. To stop the needle flucuation I went to the local pet store & bought inline adjustable regulators that are used to control airflow to to underwater filters. They fit perfectly in regular size vacuum hose & they are closed almost completely to get the needle to move but not rapidly flucuate. It's kind of a pain to keep swapping from carb to carb, but it does work. Someday I plan to buy a Carb-Tune, but this works for me now. I recently came into two bottles of mercury. If I can find a cheap set of mercury gauges with the mercury missing, I'll buy it & see how that works.

Hi all have noticed my max running rough at idle, after doing some searching I figure my carbs need syncronizing. From all I had read I guess carb tune 2 or carb tune pro work great. I have seen them on the Morgan uk site. Can anyone please tell me where I can purcahse in canada or u.s? I am in canada. Thanks

I cant remember who makes it but I bought mine out of JC Witneys yrs ago. Its just a plain simple mercury gauge with 4 tubes and I believe it cost me 20.00-25.00.
I have used it many times over the past yrs.
JUST BE VERY CAREFUL with mercury gauges if you drop the gauage below the carb level, guess what happens? Swooooop there goes all your mercury into the engine.

Homemade Sync Tool

I did a web search for homemade manometers & I found a lot of sites that show how to build your own. So I borrowed what I thought were the best ideas & combined them all to build a sync tool just for my Vmax. I bought 50 ft of 3/8" OD by 1/4"ID clear plastic tubing at Lowes for about 10 bucks. I cut the tubing in 4 equal lengths & connected them at one end with two 3-way vacuum tees to a 4 ft board. Then I added a couple oz's of ATF ( about 20 inches ) & let it settle to the bottom. Then for vacuum restrictors ( to limit the pulsations in the fluid ) I cut four 1 inch pieces of coax cable & stuffed one in the other end of each tube. Then I simply stuck a vacuum connector in the end of each tube & added a short piece of 3/16" vacuum hose to connect to the carbs. With the tool hung from a hook in my ceiling I connected the hoses to each carb then fired up the bike. The ATF rose to the top of the tube connected to my left rear cyl , so I turned that sync screw clockwise very slowly until the fluid came back down. The right front cyl tube had no fluid in it , so I turned that one counter-clockwise until the fluid came up. I kept tweaking each sync screw until all fluid levels were within 2 inches of each other. ( that's as close as I was able to get them ). MAN does my bike run better now !!! This is much more accurate than my two vacuum guages. No more hesitation & the price was right. Maybe some day I'll buy a sync-tool, but for now this works great. Thanks to all in cyber-space that posted their ideas so that I could build this.

Attachments

• carbsync.jpg
    carbsync.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 146
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 114
  • restrictor.jpg
    restrictor.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 104
  • upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 124
Re: Homemade Sync Tool

LoL, man you need a bigger tool pouch!

You should mount that thing to a skateboard this way you can roll it around:rofl_200:

Hey , I told the wife I was going to make a tool to enhance our weekend enjoyment & she said "the bigger, the better", soooo....:banana:

That's great, just hang it up in the garage and it's out of the way.

Is the 1" BNC cable you used hollow?

Seems like there is nothing to stop a cylinder from sucking up all the ATF if the carbs are way out of whack. Were you ready on the kill switch, or is there a reason that this can't happen? How did your decide on transmission fluid? Any advantage over other fluids?

Looks like something I'd like to try, thanks for description and pictures.

That's great, just hang it up in the garage and it's out of the way.

Is the 1" BNC cable you used hollow?

Seems like there is nothing to stop a cylinder from sucking up all the ATF if the carbs are way out of whack. Were you ready on the kill switch, or is there a reason that this can't happen? How did your decide on transmission fluid? Any advantage over other fluids?

Looks like something I'd like to try, thanks for description and pictures.

The cable I used was not hollow - I read on another site how a guy pulled the solid copper wire out of the center to make an orfice, but I was able to suck through this cable with the core still in, so that's what I went with. I indeed hit the kill switch once to avoid sucking fluid into the carb, but I doubt if the restrictor would let enough past to damage the motor. I chose ATF because it's so easy to see & the viscosity helps dampen the movement. Some people use water , others use motor oil or even mercury. The heavier the liquid, the less difference you'll notice between the cylinders. My 2 inch difference between cylinders would probably be only 2 mm if I had used mercury. That's why a water or ATF manometer is so large compared to a standard merc. mano. I think that's the cool thing about this tool - people can build it to whatever specs they think are best. Another diff. between this & a merc. is that this measures the difference between each cylinder; a mercury manometer measures each cylinder independantly against atmosphereic pressure. I'm not qualified to say this is superior, but I like to know that all cylinders are balanced against each other.

motion pro syncpro

I'm thinking about buying me the motion pro syncpro carb tuner. Does anyone have any opionions on it. Also I read something about the yamaha needing the 6mm adaptors. What are the adaptors for?:ummm:
Fred

Re: motion pro syncpro

Good Morning Miami...

I bought one NIB for $65 from an ebay vendor about 2-3 months back...

Works excellent...try to make sure it's a true mercury filled one, and not the other type...

I had to 'extend' the hook-up lines about 36", in order to be able to hang the unit ABOVE carb level and have easy hook-up. Added 4 little straightline couplings, wraped with some black elec-tape to seal the extensions.

There is NO necessity for any 'adaptors'...at least with our carbs... There are 'nozzles' on the intakes, with caps on 'em...simply remove caps and connect the lines, and you're GTG. Follow other's instructions in here as to how to sync which carbs to which... very little movement of the screws will make a lot of difference on the scale...I was amazed at how far out mine were with just a little over 5k on it... after sync, a world of difference in performance all 'round.

Good luck!

Uncle Philthy

Uncle Philthy is right.
There is no need for adapters for the VMax's carbs. Unless the tubing is a different size, which it shouldn't be.
With the instructions with your carb sybc tool and the VMax manual, syncing your own carbs is a snap. There is no big mystery to it.
I use a Morgan carb tune. And having synced carbs make the Max run sweeet!

Having been syncing carbs since the 70's (including a 1980 CBX which was a pain with 6 carbs), I am a firm believer in the Morgan Carb Tune. I still have a mercury Carb Stix and a small bottle of extra mercury that I have had forever. Bought the extra mercury because of occasionally sucking some thru the engine if revved a little too much. The Carb Tune has no such problem and is not toxic and works great. Worth the extra money.

Thanks guys for your input:punk::punk: I think that the one I'm thinking to bid on ebay (item# 130234606759) is not the mercury type.This one comes with that manometer fluid. Does it make a big differance? Bid on it or not, what do you think?:ummm: By the way thanks for setting me strait on the adaptors!!! :thumbs up: Fred

Back