Carb won't drain -- what to do?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in - I have an 89 that recently started idling terribly because of "ethanol"? messing up the carbs. I tried the peashooter and shotgun methods and solved the problem but after just a few months sitting up this time w/ Stabil - it's idling bad again and sounding terrible unless WOT. When trying to drain carbs before and this time - one carb won't -- is there something I can try? Thanks

I would completely remove screw and tap on that carb to break settlement loose, if that doesn't work you can blow a little low pressure air down vent tube located next to air box.

Shoot compressed air through the drain hose. Probably should disassemble that carb if it's that dirty.

I think I tried shooting air through drain hose a few months ago but will try again. I'll also look for the vent tube mentioned -- thanks for the help.

There's a little plastic elbow on the back side of the carb that the small drain hose fits on....carefully remove the drain hose (the plastic elbow will break fairly easy) and blow it out. Probly got some gunk in it....have you drained this carb before?

I've owned the bike since 97 and have put about 5k miles on her but never had to do any carb work until the idiocy of ethanol. It rusted my tank and caused carbs to junk up. I guess putting corn in gas is good for farmers and small engine repairmen - what a bunch of idiots who made that "decision". Anyhow - thanks for your help - I'll track down that elbow tomorrow and hope for the best. A full carb rebuild is way over my experience level and possibly if I can get it sounding good again - it might be time to sell?...just don't ride that much anymore and these carbs are getting frustrating. 89 w/25k -- good shape, good tires, $2500 sound right?

I've owned the bike since 97 and have put about 5k miles on her but never had to do any carb work until the idiocy of ethanol. It rusted my tank and caused carbs to junk up. I guess putting corn in gas is good for farmers and small engine repairmen - what a bunch of idiots who made that "decision". Anyhow - thanks for your help - I'll track down that elbow tomorrow and hope for the best. A full carb rebuild is way over my experience level and possibly if I can get it sounding good again - it might be time to sell?...just don't ride that much anymore and these carbs are getting frustrating. 89 w/25k -- good shape, good tires, $2500 sound right?

I hope you fix and keep it, or get more for it. We can talk you through the fix.
You just have to use stabilizer if your not going to burn the gas up within a weeek or so.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back