Carbs or fuel pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin

Reaction score
Well it started about a month ago bike started missing to the point of shutting off
After it sat for a few min it started and made it back home so I cleaned out fuel line and pump with air ran great till this morning it happened again I pulled over and cycled fuel pump a few times till it quit clicking ran fine about 75 miles back to missing cycling didn't seem to help this time So I'm asking what do y'all think carb cleaning fuel pump or ? Also when I cleaned last time I noticed rear coils were cracked any suggestion thanks

Give it a good eyeball at night and see if you spot any arcing to ground for the primary circuit (coils/wires/caps/plugs). You might have to remove some stuff to get a good eyeball on it. You could also mist a bit of water from a spray-bottle at suspect parts and if you immediately drop a cyl, or see arcing, I'd say you found your cause. But, don't stop w/one, check 'em all. You don't need to drown the wires/caps/plugs.

Also, I would be careful about using compressed air into the fuel pump.

As 'ninjaneer' pointed-out, plugs are cheap and should be among the first things to check/replace when you start to have ignition issues.

I'll check them first thing it just seemed. To be fuel related thanks I'll keep posted on progress

Check your fuel tank vent line, pin holes from fuel tank line to fuel pump and connection to TCI for corrosion. Also check for adequate fuel coming from fuel pump by pulling line to carbs off and cycling key on and off.

Well it started about a month ago bike started missing to the point of shutting off
After it sat for a few min it started and made it back home so I cleaned out fuel line and pump with air ran great till this morning it happened again I pulled over and cycled fuel pump a few times till it quit clicking ran fine about 75 miles back to missing cycling didn't seem to help this time So I'm asking what do y'all think carb cleaning fuel pump or ? Also when I cleaned last time I noticed rear coils were cracked any suggestion thanks

Very common and usually not a problem but you could sylicone them if want.

As far as the bike missing to the point of shutting off, if you are talking about the bike misfiring at RPM's less than about 2500, then your original problem may well be the dreaded low voltage problem. You may want to check your voltage at idle and be sure your bike is charging at least 13.75V. If not, your TCI box may be misfiring. Strange things happen when our Maxes don't charge properly. Too many causes of low voltage to mention here, but first try to determine whether or not you have charging issues before going into what may be causing it.

There is a one way valve on the gas tank vent line that could be bad. When your bike stalls again open the gas tank and listen for a whoose sound. If you hear it it means the check valve is bad. I cut mine out and now I have no more problems with that problem.

Thanks guys lots of good things to check when I get off work As for when I say misfiring it more like running out of gas although I'm going to check fire also since coils are cracked I have a little cash I wanted to buy Morley jet kit with may have to use on cops or ? Thanks again this is the best forum I'll post tonight after test a few things all suggestions appreciated

Well I cleaned out fuel lines filter vent and pump(thanks to yukonerdave for great write up on fuel pump cleanout) seems to working fine after 45 mile drive to work will keep posted don't know what fixed it but so far so good any ideas let me know this is twice it happened same fix last time worked couple months thanks for all of y'all's help

So, I'm curious. Were the two little rubber valve/diaphrams inside your fuel pump positioned into their respective retainer holes as they should be? Or was one of them fallen out, and hanging around loose in the pump?

Also, have you checked your voltage, at idle, with your bike warmed up, AND the cooling fan already kicked on?

You shouldn't be 'cleaning out your pump with air pressure'. Two small rubber diaphrams inside may be dislodged and then the pump will not build enough pressure to maintain fuel levels in your carbs. Check out this thread for assistance in the proper inspection of your fuel pump. http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8775&highlight=fuel+pump+diaphram

Fuel Filter Clogged, Maybe ?

So, I'm curious. Were the two little rubber valve/diaphrams inside your fuel pump positioned into their respective retainer holes as they should be? Or was one of them fallen out, and hanging around loose in the pump?

I would be leaning towards pump/carb issue. If you cycle your kill switch with the ignition switch to on and the pump keeps clacking everytime you go "run" i'd say you have a problem that is preventing the pump to build up pressure or filling the carb bowls. Bare in mind that after 5 seconds of operation the fuel pump relay shuts down the pump regardless of the pressure built in the meantime or bowls level so you may be assuming that the carb bowls are full and they are just partially full and that leads to fuel starvation and dying when rolling... The issue for the bowls not to be full could be a clogged filter or a pump internal problem such as a dislodged diaphragm...

Fuel pump diaphragm and plunger were in place pump is working clicks a couple times when first cycled and keeps pressure for a while back home now that's 90 mile round trip no trouble try it again tomorrow still don't know what fixed it i did same thing last time it lasted a couple months
Going to check voltage tomorrow is there a tread on that I can't get search to work for me on phone Internet not to hijack my on tread also how do you post pics
Thanks again

Back