Champion = Best Spark Plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwrench

Reaction score
OK - I've always been an NGK guy since the late 70's when my Kawi dirt bike wouldn't run on anything else, but this past week I've had a change of heart. A month or two ago I went through my carbs & replaced an air cut-off valve (thanks Mark) & did a thorough cleaning - the 'MAX ran AWESOME, but sometimes at idle when it was hot enough for the fan to be on I had an erratic mis-fire at idle. Couldn't pin it down to a specific cylinder & couldn't change it with carb adjustments. I only had a couple thousand miles on my NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs & a new set of of NGK wires, so you would think the ignition is good-to-go, right? Well, I had a similar prob with my F150 a couple of years ago, & NONE of the double-platinum this or super-iridium that would cure the problem. So I went with a basic, cheap, COPPER spark plug & it's run perfect ever since. COPPER is one of the best conductors of electricity in the world - it may not last as long as platinum, but it sure out-sparks it! Every night this week I've been running the 'MAX hard & when I roll into my garage & park it on the side stand while still running & the fan is on my tachometer is FLATLINED at 1000 rpm - never run so smooth since I've owned it. I gaped the plugs to .030" & I noticed the center electrode is a larger diameter than that of the NGK. The girls are right - bigger is better !
I hereby declare Champion RA6HC spark plugs are the most superior plugs anybody can buy for their VMAX! What do you guys prefer for plugs?

I hereby declare Champion RA6HC spark plugs are the most superior plugs anybody can buy for their VMAX! What do you guys prefer for plugs?

Yo Rich at that last Tech Day I replaced all my sparks with brand new NGKs. Since doing my tank + mega cleaning job the Max has been running great, and so I reckon I might just get a set of those Champion sparks and see if I notice a difference!

One thing I can't remember - r u running COPs or OEM coils?

I`ve always liked champion plugs (My dad used them in all the vehicles)
I just use NGK because it was recomended but, I think I`m going to try them and right now wy plug gap is 35 but I`ll try them at 30 too.
I`ve also tried platinum and didn`t like them either.
<<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

Yo Rich at that last Tech Day I replaced all my sparks with brand new NGKs. Since doing my tank + mega cleaning job the Max has been running great, and so I reckon I might just get a set of those Champion sparks and see if I notice a difference!

One thing I can't remember - r u running COPs or OEM coils?

G - I'm running stock coils & NGK wires. Glad your bike is running great. I hate it when I have a prob just needling me to death. We both got our bikes running great just in time for good riding weather !

I wouldn't run Champion if you gave them to me. EVERY TIME we'd get an engine in at work for repair that wouldn't run I would say I bet it has Champions in it. I'd swap in NGK's and it would fire off even though the Champs looked like new. They just never last IMO.

I'm running NGK non resistor plugs in my max with no issues. I also have NGK in my lawn mower and SV1000S. My car has AC's and the truck Motor Craft because the Bosch I tried gave it a miss fire. That was fun replacing all the plugs, only to have to do it all over again a week later. I believe the Subie has NGK's as well. If they're good enough for the Japanese auto and motorcycle MFG's then they're MORE than good enough for me.

Glad they're working for you though!

Hey 4gasem:

Okay...how do you know? And then I'll tell you my little secret...

Elimax

I spent a small fortune on these as everyone that used them on the SV1000 site raved about them. I installed them and the bike ran like PISS! It literally wouldn't run over 6000 rpm. It would just spit and sputter.

NOW the regular silver tipped ones will probably be fine but I tried the 4 electrode jobbers. I think the Vmax spark system is just to weak for them.

Chris

rich agrees with u there saying they maybe dont' last the longest but work better. just throw one in your toolkit!

G - I'm running stock coils & NGK wires. Glad your bike is running great. I hate it when I have a prob just needling me to death. We both got our bikes running great just in time for good riding weather !

Ok I'll see how the Champs work with the COPs when I get a chance. Right now it's going so good I don't wanna touch it - just ride!

Talking of which, you up for a good ride soon? Maybe next week / weekend? Let's try and get a few peeps together and go exploring the FL back roads.. :eusa_dance:

Okay, 4gasem...thanks for the info.

So, which NGK plugs, specifically, do you recommend?

Elimax

I'll second what Chris said. I won't even run Champions in my Briggs powered mower!
I run NGK Iridiums in my bikes. They are pricey. But if your bike is running right, you never have to pull or replace them for a very long time. Worth every penny IMO.

I run Champions in everything I own, except for the Max (I haven't changed plugs yet). I have never had a problem with them. The OEM Champions in my Dakota R/T went for 95,000 miles, and I only changed them then during a tune-up, not that they were bad. My dad's old '75 Newport with a 440 Magnam eats ANY OTHER Plug but Champions. Tried both the high dollar Bosch and NKG plugs. Burnt them out in less than a week. Ended up putting the OLD Champions back in until the parts store got my new ones in.

Ain't it funny how 50% of us got such great/crap experiences with either plug brand?

Really makes ya think, maybe all the bad experiences were actually due to 'knock offs' - shite parts badly copied and made to look the same as the genuine item..

I know I've been running NGKs in my Max so far, and considering the last set I just replaced, I wasn't too impressed. But then were they the Real McCoy!?

Some guys just driving me crazy.

Once again:
Theres no difrence with spark plugs manufacters at least they have the same heat ratings, the same thread and the same size.
Last two are less important if thers the right space.

Only thing that might be diffrent is durability.

I use to run some bikes(and v-max too) with many diffrent plugs.
Bosch, Ngk, Champion, polish manufacter Iskra, some old chech plugs
and even some russion and bunch of less known manufacers and it will work if heat rating is well selected.

Champions are very good plugs, imo better then ngk's.

Is someone have a bike run like crap after swaping to diffrent plugs manufacter then 200% for sure he selected the wrong spark plug!

Ain't it funny how 50% of us got such great/crap experiences with either plug brand?

Really makes ya think, maybe all the bad experiences were actually due to 'knock offs' - shite parts badly copied and made to look the same as the genuine item..

I know I've been running NGKs in my Max so far, and considering the last set I just replaced, I wasn't too impressed. But then were they the Real McCoy!?
I'm no expert but Ive heard that places like Walmart buy actual lots (as in truck loads) of products that didn't pass manufacturing testing for some reason but are good enough to use. Spark plugs were one of them. Thats why they're so cheap.

i use champs in everything, four wheelers, mowers, whatever. cheap!
EXCEPT for my bikes, they get ngks

Back