Charging issue Again !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiretwister

Reaction score
Started on my way to a charity ride today....didnt get there !
No charge, AGAIN !! Finally got the bike home.
Here is what I got..........
I checked the AC voltage on the stator, Ckecking each leg to ground I get around 10 volts at Idle...around 40 AC volts at say 5000 RPM.
Is my Stator good ( I replaced last year ).

When I got home...I had a new old style R&R and put it on....Charges 14 volts or so at idle, At Rev it, voltage goes down ( whats up with that ?? )

Last year I did the stator change and the upgrade R&R, All was well until today, Everything was wired straight to the battery.
Im concerned the stator may be cooked again.

Help !

my bike does the same (drops as i rev). but its still enough to charge the bike. some google searching found its not all that uncommon on bikes. i still need to do the crimp fix as well.

I dont think its chaging well enough, I took a short evening ride and was hard on it,
It want to miss and act a fool....go putts around fine, Its the charging system.

I wired the original style R&R in the original wiring harness, I re-read my older post and when I replaced the stator and upgraded R&R, It had reverse voltage, Then I wired the hot wire and Ground straight to the battery it stopped the voltage drop.
I will get out of the harness, feed straight to the battery and see what happens.

I also think I was testing the stator wrong today.......I understand i have to check voltage across all three legs and NOT to ground.

I gotta get to the bottom of this thing......I gotta have my bike back.

I had a similar problem (and my stator was fried) that came from the main connector of the stator wires into the wiring harness. Is yours in good condition? Not melted in any way?

Nah..no melt ( this time), About a year ago I replaced the stator and the R&R, with all new stuff.
At that time the plug had melted,two segments were fried on the stator.

Update ...... I went out this morning and straight wired the charging wire to the battery, now it holds steady voltage throughout the rpm range, around 14.8 volts.
But now im back to the original single wire no heat sink R&R, how longs that gonna last ?
I tell ya, Vmax hates low voltage.......
I just cant figure out why the R&R went out....Bad battery ??
Would a bad battey wipe out the R&R ?
Its got a Odyssey but I have no idea how old it is....maybe its time for a new one.

Back