Checking Oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridinnoshiftin

Reaction score
Well, I have always found checking the oil without a center stand to be a pain. It is hard to get an accurate reading when balancing the bike and trying to see where the oil level is in the viewing window. I have a solution that is quick, easy and accurate for fat old riders like myself! I use a telescoping inspection mirror. You can sit comfortably on the bike and use the mirror to peak at the level. Easy to keep the bike upright without the fear of having it start to tip over as you are bent down to view the level of the oil. Maybe it is just me, but I like to know the oil level is OK before each ride and getting an accurate read each time helps determine early leaks or consumption problems. Depending on which mirror you get, it may fit right in the overflow tray of the gas tank over fill so that it is always with you. Just thought I would pass this on if you haven't thought of it and have found it problematic to check the oil level. Opinions are welcomed!

Todd

Great idea. I usually have my 10 year old daughter come out and look at it while I'm on the bike. Feedback goes something like this, "ummm....it's between the top and bottom line thingys."

I use my phone. In camera mode I don't even have to take a picture. I can see from the screen where my oil is at. I always have my phone with me, but never carry a mirror!

Fantastic Idea. I got trapped under my 94 one time checking the oil the Old Way. No Fun at all.... And Doh, it has a center stand. The 89 came along and I'd learned my lesson...

Thanks for sharing this solution....

good idea, I should get one. I'd always just pop the Max on the center stand to check, but the Z doesn't have one but still uses the sight-glass. I've already done the "crouch and balance" to get a look, and you're never sure if you're holding it perfectly straight anyway.

good idea, I should get one. I'd always just pop the Max on the center stand to check, but the Z doesn't have one but still uses the sight-glass. I've already done the "crouch and balance" to get a look, and you're never sure if you're holding it perfectly straight anyway.

the HF heavy duty m/c wheel chocks make this easy too. $45 with m/c magazine coupon

Well, the original thought was for portability and something you could use anywhere. However, Rusty's wifes tilting make-up mirror works great on the floor in his garage. Well....I hope that was his wife's mirror anyways....lol. Wheel chocks are also an excellent alternative too. I was just trying to keep it simple and cheap. For those that park in the garage next to a wall, just mount a cheapy mirror there for a quick view of the oil level. I am glad I wasn't the only one that seemed to dislike checking the oil on the hidden viewing window. Well to each his own, just trying to make it easier to do the simplest and most accurate way of knowing your oil level is ready for a spirited ride!

Todd

Not only do I not have a center stand my Bike is lowered two inches in the front with 18" front and rear. When filled with fresh oil the inspection window is completely covered.
Forestdaledave

Back