Clear cover clean up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Is there any way to polish up the cover on a clear cover part?? I for some reason sprayed carb cleaner on it to remove some spot that would not come off with normal cleaner and now there is a haze on part of the it:bang head::bang head:

My concern is that stuff won't work. It looks like the surface of the cover is no longer smooth where I sprayed it..like it was being eaten into..I'll have to examine more closely to confirm. Other possiblility is to just replace the clear part of the cover. I know there is a special tool that OTEC has to separate the part/cover but don't know if they would do this and just sell the plastic.

Attachments

• logo.jpg
    logo.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 38
If it has eaten into the surface slightly you can get some 1200 paper from an auto body supply and wet sand... then that 3M stuff works. Hey that's a neat cover!

+1

Depending on what type of plastic is used, you can flame polish, or use them headlight restorer polishes.

hows that insert being held in? very cool

Just got the emblem back from the anodizer so I was test fitting. It will be held in by 4 small screws. I had to measure what length of screws I need so now I can order them. The middle gear nut is custom made and tapped for screw holes. The emblem will spin with the wheel. Also thinking of clear coating the emblem with engine paint clear coat before actual use to prevent oil discoloration as much as possible. This was one of my winter projects.

I'm gonna be more careful where I spray my carb cleaner or any chemical for that matter.

If its plexiglass you can do it using polish and a buff wheel
If its polycarbonate probably the best option will be flame polish like KJ said. Polycarbonate doesn't do good with polish.

Back