Clipons and clearence

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
I found a nice set of 43mm clipon bars while browsing, and I have a question I need to ask of those who have more experience with the Max.
https://www.denniskirk.com/driven-p...on-handlebars-dclo43bk.p597023.prd/597023.sku

If I were to use these, would there be clearance issues between the controls and the airbox cover and scoops? Where as they appear to have 5* of angle to them, I could mount them so that they are angled upward in relation to the fork tubes. I was thinking of mounting them above the upper fork clamp.

If need be, I could consider getting the throttle and switch housings from an 07 R6 or R1, though that would mean relocating the "reserve" switch.

I do like the more forward lean this would give me, where as the handlebar position is more upright than I am used to. It almost feels cramped stock for me.

Thoughts on this?

I'm not sure this will work with our throttle cables. That's even an issue with drag bars and the stock risers. You should tape some pencils to your triple trees and see what happens.

I am guessing then that I will most likely need to use the R1/6 controls for the clearance. The throttle housing is a separate unit next to the right hand switch housing. I would just have to relocate the fuel switch. That should be easy enough to do.

I shall have to go do some measurements to get an estimate on how much clearance I would have.

If you make this work, you'll be famous. Good luck. There will be plenty of helpers on here if you get stuck on something.

Can't remember what clearance issues there may/may not be. Been quite a few years since I saw them used. There are even 41mm versions out there (which I think is what I had seen first hand before).

Well, I took a ruler out, and did a couple quick checks, and using the R1/6 controls, I should have the clearance. I could even use the 0* clip-ons, and I'll have clearance. Those would probably give me the most comfortable angle for my grips anyways. This will probably necessitate a custom set of cables, but that will not be too much an issue.

This will work well with some of the other front end changes I wish to do. VTX Headlight with the offered headlight shroud would give the bike a more aggressive, forward attack look, and maybe a different front fender.

Included in this will be a matched speedo/tach combo, and relocating the indicator lights to mounts for the speedo/tach. This will require some very short risers and a cut off length of bar to mount everything to.

Yeah, I already have it coming together in my head. :punk:

Don't know if this helps or not. Two
Are USD though .
u3etytaj.jpg
a8e8y9a8.jpg
uvydegyh.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

I vote for the vtx headlight, too. It's a great design.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The images really did not give a lot in the help department, but they did add encouragement to go for it with the mods I wanna do. I will also be using (or crafting) a chin scoop for Woona, but instead of being like the one I saw in the 3rd pic, I will use either a VTX one, or one based off that design. One thing I will not do is use an extended swingarm. I think it would alter the handling too much, and also I do not care for the extended look of it on the Max. (Maybe a 2nd Gen Max would look good that way)

Later on down the road, I might consider doin a conversion to chain drive, but only if I also do a complete redo of the suspension. Otherwise, I will not have any real need for the handling qualities of chain vs shaft.

Already in this site, I have found numerous ideas I wanna do. Next idea to look for, I wanna find a different designed tail section.

Latest posts

Back