Clutch not fully disengaging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddobie0

Reaction score
Weather was up to almost 60 today. So I took my 06 with 10k out for a spin. I did the DD clutch install probably a year or so ago. I get on bike feels fine at first then it starts to feel as if the clutch isn't disengaging. Feels as though I am riding around with the clutch half engaged. Stop at a store and thought the bike wasn't going to move at all when clutch was disengaged. I have to give it quite a bit of gas to get it to roll out. Get on road heading home and if you try to accelerate the rpms will jump up and bike will slowly start to accelerate. I use rotella and did bleed the slave cylinder and master about a year ago also. I searched forum but couldn't find an answer just more confusion. Any help would be appreciated.

Weather was up to almost 60 today. So I took my 06 with 10k out for a spin. I did the DD clutch install probably a year or so ago. I get on bike feels fine at first then it starts to feel as if the clutch isn't disengaging. Feels as though I am riding around with the clutch half engaged. Stop at a store and thought the bike wasn't going to move at all when clutch was disengaged. I have to give it quite a bit of gas to get it to roll out. Get on road heading home and if you try to accelerate the rpms will jump up and bike will slowly start to accelerate. I use rotella and did bleed the slave cylinder and master about a year ago also. I searched forum but couldn't find an answer just more confusion. Any help would be appreciated.

I think you're using the term engaged and disengaged backwards. With the clutch lever in to the bar, the clutch is disengaged.

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, you can test it by opening the throttle wide at low rpm in 4th gear. If it is slipping the rpm will rise but the bike will not accelerate accordingly.

Does the lever feel normal otherwise?

Open up your reservoir and look for the little dimple in the bottom that look like someone started to drill a hole, but gave up. Cover your bike with towels. Poke a little wire into that dimple which is really a hole. You've got a bit of grit or gummed up fluid plugging it, and it's keeping pressure in the system.

Wire like a small guitar string, welding wire, anything really tiny. Sometimes the smallest sewing needle you can find will work, too.

And don't put your face super close unless you like getting fluid in your eyes.

I think you're using the term engaged and disengaged backwards. With the clutch lever in to the bar, the clutch is disengaged.

Sounds like your clutch is slipping, you can test it by opening the throttle wide at low rpm in 4th gear. If it is slipping the rpm will rise but the bike will not accelerate accordingly.

Does the lever feel normal otherwise?

It does do this in every gear and lever feels normal.

Open up your reservoir and look for the little dimple in the bottom that look like someone started to drill a hole, but gave up. Cover your bike with towels. Poke a little wire into that dimple which is really a hole. You've got a bit of grit or gummed up fluid plugging it, and it's keeping pressure in the system.

Wire like a small guitar string, welding wire, anything really tiny. Sometimes the smallest sewing needle you can find will work, too.

Thanks I will try this and this makes sense. Maybe from sitting past two months. Thanks

Mine would slip when it got hot, even with a brand new clutch. I did this.....and re bled the system, and didnt have any more problems after that.

Check this out:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=34310

As you'll see, my clutch-slipping problem was caused by the after-market lever keeping the master-cylinder piston slightly depressed. A plugged return port hole, as mentioned previously, will cause the same symptoms. Like yours, mine seemed OK when cold but got really bad (slipping) when hot. Don't drive far with it a slipping else you'll burn up the clutch.

Check this out:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=34310

As you'll see, my clutch-slipping problem was caused by the after-market lever keeping the master-cylinder piston slightly depressed. A plugged return port hole, as mentioned previously, will cause the same symptoms. Like yours, mine seemed OK when cold but got really bad (slipping) when hot. Don't drive far with it a slipping else you'll burn up the clutch.

I put new levers on about 2 months ago and drove it a little but it didn't do it then. I don't remember how much I rode it after new levers but sure do like them. Thanks for that thread I am going to take the aftermarket adjustable lever off and try what you did and get some free play in there. Thanks

I had the same issue with levers when I swapped mine. Just be sure to grease the barrel before you put it back in, and you should be fine.

I had the same issue with levers when I swapped mine. Just be sure to grease the barrel before you put it back in, and you should be fine.

Mine had to have material ground off of the after-market lever. Greasing the barrel helped mine but did not come close to solving the problem. In the thread I linked previously, I posted a picture of the surface I had to grind down.

I had the same issue. Just swapped the barrel from the stock lever into the new lever and everything worked correctly.

Back