Cold weather glove

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum

Reaction score
Hi Fellas--Just wondering what you northerners wear to keep your hands warm? I live north of Bowling Green, Ohio, and I like to ride year-round--anytime the roads are dry and clear of ice. Anyway, the only part of me that suffers are my hands. Went out and spent 40 bucks on some Seirus gloves. Manuifacturer claimed they were for skiers/snowmobilers. I thought they'd be great, and they are for a half hour or so.

I used to scuba dive, and I'm thinking of going to neoprene dive gloves from a local dive shop. But before I drop any more cash on an idea that doesn't work, thought I'd tap your collective wisdom. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Sounds like a good idea due to the fact that neoprene is what we use when working with propane. If you ever had to change a tank with a bad seal those are the gloves you want on your hands ! However, they can slippery when they get wet and I don't know how clumsy you would feel them on your hands. The ones you buy from a dive shop are probably a snug fit, compared to the ones we use for working with propane. Just be glad you can ride where you live.....even if you get cold hands.

Last edited:
Living in NH and riding throughout the winter on a KLR 650, I?ve learned a bunch about cold hands. It is hard to stay warm on an open bike like the V-Max. I use goose down filled gloves I got from a bicycle shop years ago and put a wind-proof mountaineering shell over those. They are very warm but bulky making the throttle hard to control. While that?s okay on a 38 hp dirt bike, these gloves are too dangerous for my V-max.

So what to do? You need to go electric. You can either (1) get an electric vest to overheat your body core, forcing your body to pump blood into your feet and hands, keeping them warm (2) buy some electric warmed gloves (3) add heated grips. Grips come in the temporary and permanent options. All of these options cost about $100 each and the alternator in the V-Max can handle about two of them at a time. I find with a vest and warm clothing I can ride all day in 35-40-degree weather.

You can use a silk liner with that glove, $9 or so, what temps are you riding in and for how long?

Maximum said:
Hi Fellas--Just wondering what you northerners wear to keep your hands warm? I live north of Bowling Green, Ohio, and I like to ride year-round--anytime the roads are dry and clear of ice. Anyway, the only part of me that suffers are my hands. Went out and spent 40 bucks on some Seirus gloves. Manuifacturer claimed they were for skiers/snowmobilers. I thought they'd be great, and they are for a half hour or so.

I used to scuba dive, and I'm thinking of going to neoprene dive gloves from a local dive shop. But before I drop any more cash on an idea that doesn't work, thought I'd tap your collective wisdom. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Thanks for the replies, all of you. I don't ride unless it's 30 or above. I really think the dive gloves are the way I'm going. They fit tightly, and could even fit inside of the others I have. My core is fine--doesn't get cold, but I guess I'm too old to have that heat transfer out to the hands and feet. I'm staring straight at 60, and I'm not blinking, but my eyes are startin' to water, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for the thoughts. If anyone has any others, I'm listening.

I tend towards a layering method; thermal first and then something to cut the wind on top of that......

I've found it doesn't take that thick of an insulation if there is a air-proof layer on top to keep the hot air your hands are manufacturing from escaping.....

I actually use a black rubber "chemical" glove on top of a pair of insulated riding gloves......

Something else you might consider are the self heating glove and sock chemical packs that Academy sells for the hunting market. They are about the size of a tea bag and once activated they get warm and stay warm for 3-4 hours..
You throw them away when done...They are very inexpensive...

I know exactly what you mean about staring straight at 60 with watery eyes. Too many meds also.
I use gloves sold for snowmobiling on the last month of the riding season. We've had our first snow and soon the roads in the mountains above Reno will be an icy mess.
Lew

SPOFF said:
I find with a vest and warm clothing I can ride all day in 35-40-degree weather.

Hi. I just bought an electric vest to start me off next spring. [We have black ice on the road here now. ]
It just hooks up direct to the battery with a connecter about halfway. I was thinking about putting a switch or something on it instead of unhooking it . Did you, or have you, tried anything like that with yours???
Thanks.

No, Broook, I really have no problem with anything but my hands. Have a V -Star with a windshield/fairing I got from National Cycle, and they have one for Max's up to 2005, but not for newer yet (although they haven't changed that I know of, but they said they'd wait until they engineer one for late models, so I am). The fairing is great and keeps the wind off your hands, but until I get one for the Max, I'm looking around for other options.

I have leather gloves with a long gauntlet and they are OK down to 40 degrees, below 40, I wear puffy mittens I got from REI that have a windproof outer shell and a very high friction grip surface on the palms. I get a little slip movement between the palm surface and my hand which is a bit disconcerting and with bulky mittens I am slower to get to the brakes. I am warm enough with this setup and am just more careful, which is wise if it's close to freezing anyway. I have considered battery powered gloves, but don't know much about them and have a very short ride to work anyway.
I don't really want plug in gear as I spend enough time next to the bike getting ready to get on as it is.

Steve

Back