Complete Nitrous System

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a complete nitrous system for my bike... my biggest problem is figuring out a way to tell my wife exactly why I need that blue bottle when it ran just fine without it:ummm:. I know people don't want to give away all their secrets, but I have never messed with NOS before, and I am looking for a complete system and what other things I will need to change or modify while I'm at it. I have not touched my carbs, brass plugs are still in there, I purchased a Stage 1 kit a while back, but never installed it. I have been pondering the idea of going to a Stage 7, but if I am going to nitrous, should I, or will I have too? Any hints or tips as far as a set-up and tuning will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Jeff

I have found a few images and have hopefully attached them to this post. I think I'm looking at two different systems, one is wet and the other appears to be dry... is that correct? And does anyone have a preference? I'm assuming a wet system is the best way to go.... avoids running lean, but like I said... I'm new to nitrous.
Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• nitrous.jpg
    nitrous.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 43
  • nitrous3.jpg
    nitrous3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 45
I have found a few images and have hopefully attached them to this post. I think I'm looking at two different systems, one is wet and the other appears to be dry... is that correct? And does anyone have a preference? I'm assuming a wet system is the best way to go.... avoids running lean, but like I said... I'm new to nitrous.
Thanks,
Jeff

Those are both wet systems, never go dry. It's really for EFI setups that a mass air flow sensor that can be put downstream of the nitrous shot. It's been done in minute amounts but not a good idea.

I think Sean Morley and his buddy at Pro Chassie could steer you in the right direction.

Rusty

Those are both wet systems, never go dry. It's really for EFI setups that a mass air flow sensor that can be put downstream of the nitrous shot. It's been done in minute amounts but not a good idea.

I think Sean Morley and his buddy at Pro Chassie could steer you in the right direction.

Rusty
Or the other Shawn

Or the other Shawn

I have been running NOS for 3 years now. I orginally purchased my setup from Schnitz Racing. The only advice I can give you is. Take your time installing it. Solder all your connections with shrink tube. Dont use plumbers tape, , dont use any sealant on AN fittings. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL A FUEL PRESSURE CUT OFF SWITCH. Start out small and work your way up. If you go with the jets supplied just lower your spark plug temp by one number.
In my opinion the VMAX doesnt need NOS until about 75MPH, but after that when you hit the go fast button its amazing watching that speedo needle get burried as fast as you can shift 3rd 4th and 5th. GET RID OF V-BOOST and GET NOS BOOST!:worthy:

I have been running NOS for 3 years now. I orginally purchased my setup from Schnitz Racing. The only advice I can give you is. Take your time installing it. Solder all your connections with shrink tube. Dont use plumbers tape, , dont use any sealant on AN fittings. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL A FUEL PRESSURE CUT OFF SWITCH. Start out small and work your way up. If you go with the jets supplied just lower your spark plug temp by one number.
In my opinion the VMAX doesnt need NOS until about 75MPH, but after that when you hit the go fast button its amazing watching that speedo needle get burried as fast as you can shift 3rd 4th and 5th. GET RID OF V-BOOST and GET NOS BOOST!:worthy:

Why would you get rid of V-Boost, and do you mean reamove the V-Boost valve, or get new and seperated intakes? I did buy a fuel pressure cut off switch, I thought it sounded like a good idea. Did you plumb in a seperate fuel line for the nitrous fuel pump, or did you splice into the stock line? I spliced into the stock after the stock filter and before the stock fuel pump... hope that is o.k. I might be bugging you a little more with my long list of questions if that is o.k.?
Cheers,
Jeff

Thomas Powell really goes into detail with his nitrous installation on his website.It's worth checking out!

Why would you get rid of V-Boost, and do you mean reamove the V-Boost valve, or get new and seperated intakes? I did buy a fuel pressure cut off switch, I thought it sounded like a good idea. Did you plumb in a seperate fuel line for the nitrous fuel pump, or did you splice into the stock line? I spliced into the stock after the stock filter and before the stock fuel pump... hope that is o.k. I might be bugging you a little more with my long list of questions if that is o.k.?
Cheers,
Jeff

Hi Jeff
To answer some of your questions. I wired my V-BOOST either for 3K or off all together. I only turn it on to Synch the carbs. I like how it idles when the V-BOOST is wide open at idle more of a lopey sound.
I did copy T.P. a little. I mounted my 3 solenoids on a bracket and attached it to the front of the battery box. My fuel pump is mounted low as recommended. I mounted it right below the gas tank on the part of the frame where you cut off the center stand. i tapped the bottom of the gas tank for a seperate fuel supply. I wouldnt share the same line.(BECAREFUL when drilling the tank be sure to use a metal bit that wont create a spark or you may have fireworks) All the supply lines are stainless tubing 1/8 OD
I mounted my LED Purge between the steering head stem bolt and the insturment cluster. Fuel pump that is supplied with the kit puts out 4.5-5.0 PSI I set my cutoff switch to 4.0 PSI. Be sure to use filters both NOS and Fuel and mount the Fuel filter before the cutoff switch. If your not using filters you are taking a chance of getting crap in the fogger. jets etc and if that happens your 4 cyl engine will turn into a 5,6,7 or 8 due to piston failure.
NOS gets a bad wrape due to poor tuning, not using the safety components such as filters, cutoff switches etc. I will take some pictures, but I am in the middle of finishing up my motor install. Ask questions thats why we are here. :cheers:

How did I miss this!? I've been toying with the idea of using the jug. A 200 rwhp V-Max sure would be fun. :D

I'm very familiar with using nitrous in car apps, I'll start looking a little more into the bike app now.

Here is another thread I have started, but haven't gotten too far with it: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2718&highlight=nitrous+morley

I'm hoping to start with a 40hp shot and go from there. I'm on a limited budget and would love to get a progressive controller, lighter wheels, bigger carbs, but I'm going to keep it pretty simple starting out.

QuarterHorse, I am plnning on having Chris, David, Nathan, and anyone else in the area over for a day or two to work on the bike and watch me "hopefully not" blow it up. I'm thinking it will be an early weekend in March. If anyone else wants to come help out I'll provide all the beer you can drink, some food, and lodging if you need. I've got a heated garage, and a cold fridge.

Later,

Jeff

Here is another thread I have started, but haven't gotten too far with it: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2718&highlight=nitrous+morley

I'm hoping to start with a 40hp shot and go from there. I'm on a limited budget and would love to get a progressive controller, lighter wheels, bigger carbs, but I'm going to keep it pretty simple starting out.

QuarterHorse, I am plnning on having Chris, David, Nathan, and anyone else in the area over for a day or two to work on the bike and watch me "hopefully not" blow it up. I'm thinking it will be an early weekend in March. If anyone else wants to come help out I'll provide all the beer you can drink, some food, and lodging if you need. I've got a heated garage, and a cold fridge.

Later,

Jeff

Bragger! :whistlin::biglaugh:

Yeah... I'll be gone for the first two weekends in March on business. Don't wait for me though.

Still on the ledge with this one. Not sure I really want to mess with something that works SOOO well now.:stickyman:

Back