Confused about buying a Vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennO87

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Im new. Im 24......Dream bike for a long time has been a Vmax. Im from Western Australia, and down here Vmax are imports. They are RARE as hell. Im talking 15 maximum for sale in the whole country. So i had been having dream that i found them on the side of the road, picked them up and went riding. Next dream some bike dealer gave me one. I have sweet dreams huh?

So i found a 87 at a dealer, in bad shape, flat spots in the motor. Gear leaver and brake lever where wobbly as hell. But i took it for a ride, and well, it was EVERYTHING i thought it would be apart from the short gearing.

My only issue is. If i buy a clean 95 model or late 90`s am i gonna be in trouble. I have heard these bikes dont like being daily riders and are reliable but not as much as some bikes.

Im scared im gonna have all sorts of problems start happening with the bike and the vboost and so on and all my mates say i should just get a generic old GSX1400 or XJR1300. But nothing beats a max......Basiclly im asking, are they full of issues? Do things go bang quick if there ridden daily as it will be my to and from work transport and also the bike to ride with mates. Down here if i have issues they arnt as easy to fix and there are not many parts around. Which means importing everything...

And is there anything you guys can tell me about what to check when buying one?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Glenn

I have heard these bikes dont like being daily riders and are reliable but not as much as some bikes....
:ummm::ummm::ummm:

I commute 50 miles every other day with an occasional 200-mile jaunt around my state. I have logged over 15k miles in the last 18 months. Don't know who told you such. Maybe THEY are the ones that don't like being daily riders and not the bike:rofl_200:

Are they full of issues. Well in my opinion, not anymore than any other "old" bike. you're gonna find some that are beaters and some that are wicked steals. you want no issues buy a new bike with 0 on the odometer

Read this: New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read!

Welcome to our addiction.

We have several members fron down under . stay tuned , they will be here shortly for you.

There can be issues with any bike , especially a daily commuter , but you will be " one of the few " , if you get one.

Welcome Glenn!...........The V-Max is an awsome and dependable bike when properly maintained, I have owned mine for a few years now and have logged many trouble free miles even ridden hard most the time!.......If your dream is to own one of these beasts then FOLLOW YOUR DREAM!.........You will not be disappointed, what you need to do is start with a decent example and not one beat into the ground like the one you looked at, there are other Aussie members here that will hopefully chime in and mayby give ya a hand in your search, good luck!...........Tom.

Glenn,
Welcome to the forum.
AS far as being a daily rider, a Max is really no more or less reliable than any other 80's designed Japanese bike. In fact, if well maintained they are great daily riders.

So that brings us to things to check for:
First there are the basics you would check on any used bike. Tires for tread, weather checking and dry rot etc. ( of course the back tire on a Max is probably gonna be a little more bare than the front ). Clean fluid in the master cylinders etc.
Max specific issues to look at: The infamous 2nd gear issue. If you get another chance to test ride before you buy, Shift into 2nd and gun it. If it pops out of gear, you could have expensive problems in the transmission. If it smokes a lot on cold star up, it might need valve adjustment.

I'm sure there are lots of other specifics other members on here can and will tell you about.

Welcome Glenn!...........The V-Max is an awsome and dependable bike when properly maintained, I have owned mine for a few years now and have logged many trouble free miles even ridden hard most the time!.......If your dream is to own one of these beasts then FOLLOW YOUR DREAM!.........You will not be disappointed, what you need to do is start with a decent example and not one beat into the ground like the one you looked at, there are other Aussie members here that will hopefully chime in and mayby give ya a hand in your search, good luck!...........Tom.

+1. Those who try to convince you to stay clear of buying a Max have never ridden one. Submit to your whims. You will not regret. Come to the dark side, luuuuuuke.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

I am a Vmax nut since way back and would be the first guy to say "go for it"
Old and wise I say, there is probably a better bike for you. If finding a Max is that hard, just think what a pisser it will be getting parts, service or god forbid mod monkey parts!
At 24, you might be setting yourself up to be disappointed friend. They can be tempermental like many other bikes. But here in the States, Vmaxes grow on trees and parts and service are a hop across town. I say buy yourself one of those cookie cutter crotch rockets that flood the place and easy to get parts and service for. When you get to be rich and you can afford anything, come back to a Max.

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

You came to the right place for getting information about what to look for an expect. hopefully you clearly realize that your question about our Maxes being a daily driver is going to be biased here. I think everyone gave as objective of an assessment about it being a daily driver as possible. People that tell you they make bad daily drivers should quantify their statements with because x, y, z.

I have not had my Max long but I can tell you I've not regretted owning it a single moment. I need to build my album. As for reliability, maintenance is key. Find one in good working order then work to keep it that way with proper maintenance. +1 for following your dreams.

Hey guys.

Im new. Im 24......Dream bike for a long time has been a Vmax. Im from Western Australia, and down here Vmax are imports. They are RARE as hell. Im talking 15 maximum for sale in the whole country. So i had been having dream that i found them on the side of the road, picked them up and went riding. Next dream some bike dealer gave me one. I have sweet dreams huh?

So i found a 87 at a dealer, in bad shape, flat spots in the motor. Gear leaver and brake lever where wobbly as hell. But i took it for a ride, and well, it was EVERYTHING i thought it would be apart from the short gearing.

My only issue is. If i buy a clean 95 model or late 90`s am i gonna be in trouble. I have heard these bikes dont like being daily riders and are reliable but not as much as some bikes.

Im scared im gonna have all sorts of problems start happening with the bike and the vboost and so on and all my mates say i should just get a generic old GSX1400 or XJR1300. But nothing beats a max......Basiclly im asking, are they full of issues? Do things go bang quick if there ridden daily as it will be my to and from work transport and also the bike to ride with mates. Down here if i have issues they arnt as easy to fix and there are not many parts around. Which means importing everything...

And is there anything you guys can tell me about what to check when buying one?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Glenn

Hi Glenn and welcome.....

I have owned 3 vmax's since 1998 all of which all have minimal issues. Ebay is a mans best friend for parts. We have some great vendors here in the stats, but most of the really nice mod parts come from abroad. As to issues, if you maintain your bike regularly, there shouldnt be issues. I would try for a 93+ vmax being you'll have the better front end. I can tell you that in my 14 years owning vmax's, they have been very easy to maintain. I have done carb, clutch, forks, tires, & plenty of other work/mods to my bikes and its fairly easy. This group is a big help since its a wealth of knowledge here.

There are a few guys on here that will ship you a vmax from the states if you have the funds to do so.

Good luck with your search for that dreambike......I gotta say "I LOVE MY VMAX"!!!

Welcome, if a Vmax is your dream bike, get it. There are probably more dependable bikes out there but when you LOVE your bike you tend to be more patient and understanding if you have issues. This forum is the best thing you could have found if your gonna own one. Anything you need can be found either here or on eBay. A lot of my Custom parts are from all over the world. Especially stock these bikes are great daily riders and properly maintained and built you can have your own unique bike that NOBODY else has. Just see for yourself. Especially if you love them. Good luck, hope to hear you join the addiction. Ed✨

Get a 500 or 650 twin or a 600 inline 4 for a daily rider and use a VMax for fun! Costs more for two, of course.

Hi Glenn!

I bought my 1996 with a touch over 47,000 miles on December 12, 2011 and I just clicked over 52,000 on the odometer this week. So that's about 1000 miles per month. I ride to work everyday unless it's raining, 20 miles each way.

My Max has been great. No, it hasn't been perfect, but I wouldn't expect a 16 year old bike with 50,000 miles to be like new. The motor has been flawless, and the few problems I've had have been due to wear/age, not to design.

In fact, 50,000 miles doesn't scare me on the Max nearly as much as on a sportbike, because:

a. It's in a lower state of tune than a modern sportbike
b. The motor was originally designed for a touring bike (Yamaha Venture 1200/1300) - high miles are normal with tourers.
c. Motors designed in the 80's were built a lot more conservatively, they didn't try to remove every last ounce for lightness. To me that means a greater probability of having high durability.

Then there's the ride, which is the best thing about it. That motor has SO much character, every other bike seems bland and boring - no matter how fast.

With a sportbike, you blend in with every other sportbike. On a Harley, you blend in with everyone else trying to stand out. On either, it seems to take a lot of money to make your bike truly unique. On the Max, you already do stand out. Almost everyday someone smiles, gives me the thumbs up sign, or rolls down their window to shout "Dude! Is that a V-Max? Awesome bike man!" or "I always wanted a V-max" to which I reply "Me too! I just got it. When you gonna get yours?" It's very much like if I had a Deuce Coupe with flames painted all over. People notice! My bike is completely stock. How many stock bikes old bikes elicit such responses?

The sound and feel is miles above any other motorcycle I've come across; in fact some have said that the V-Max is the motorcycling equivalent of a T-Rex, or a 427 Cobra. I guess it's the look and feel of trapped power that some of us can't resist. The same thing that makes dragsters, funny cars, and stock cars so appealing. The Max's attitude and huge cool factor keep me thinking that I might not ever part with it.

A V-max is so much more than a motorcycle. It's more than a "lifestyle bike". It's got that elusive something that keeps a bike selling for over 20 years with few changes.

If you get a chance to own one, do it. Provided it's in good shape and not abused, you are very likely to have a very long and happy experience.

Cheers!

Marcus

Welcome aboard....

The Vmax has it's share of quirks and known issues, but as said, not really any worse than other bikes of it's era. I've put around 20k on mine since I got it and have never been left stranded, or had any problem with it that required really more than an hour to fix.

A somewhat common issue is for the 2nd gear to be blown out. Take it for a test drive, put it in second, and go WOT. If it pops into a false neutral, it's going to need a major repair that is not cheap, easy, or quick.

On pre-1990 bikes, they have an analog ignition which is known to go bad and produce symptoms ranging from strange running, difficult starting, to a complete no-spark condition. These are difficult to find, and if you replace it, it's with another 25+ year old unit. The only replacement ignition is a Dyna, and they stopped making the 85-89 analog boxes a while ago. Your only option if it goes bad is to get the box and wiring harness from a 90-up and completely swap the wiring. Does it affect every bike? No, people have original 85's that run great. But by design of the system, they'll wear out and fail eventually, the question is just how long. There's really no way to test these, but if the bike starts running poorly with a hot engine after sitting in traffic, that's sometimes a sign the box is on it's way out. The engine heats it up too much and it starts to malfunction.

90 and up bikes have a digital ignition, which is extremely reliable.

Apart from those two "biggies", there's no problems on the bike that can't be fixed by the average guy with common tools. This site is a virtually infinite resource for information, people here can walk you through just about anything.

Several people here have Max's with well over 100k on them and un-opened engines. Borg has the right idea....it's not as as strung out and does not turn the RPMs of sportbike engines. It's not like a 600 where the motor is on it's last legs by around 40k.

Hey guys.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it. No way in hell i would buy that old oily busted up 87 i rode it was horrible. It was just to ride one to see if i liked it. And I DID! I was addicted after the first set of traffic lights LOL!!!!! How ever it had Cobra Pipes. And the bike was not as quick as i actually expected, this im putting down to the pipes robbing the power, it being full of flat spots, and i think it was full of issues.....

You guys can check out this one that is about an hour south of me. It looks VERY clean in the pictures....Can i get your opinion just from pics?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/... 1429 1428 1626 1480 4294967267 4294961240 83

Have a look!

My first bike was a vmax ..started on it.. Learned it.. Feared it at first... Got used to it... Loved it. No other bike will thrill you... Exhilarate u ... Or scare you to death lol... It's like a wild stallion ... But...check second gear... Go for 93 and above for the bigger forks and respect it... Just my personal opinion .... But you will love it!!!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Apart from the Cobra slip-ons(which you're right, can rob as much as 20hp from the tire), it looks to be a nice original '95. Mileage is low, but not so low as to suggest it's been sitting around a lot.

'95 has the wider forks, better brakes, and digital ignition. The only things missing are the spin on oil filter (96) and the updated shift segment(99, I think). The oil filter is just convenience, and the new shift segment is a direct replacement for the old one, if it becomes a problem.

Losing the 4-4 cobras and putting the stock muffler(or some other kind of slip-ons, like Supertrapps) back on will pull it from mid-90's rwhp back to stock, which is around 112 assuming it runs goods and the carbs don't need attention.

$9000 for a stock '95....you're right, they must be pretty darn rare. That bike would go for maybe $3k in the US.

Hey guys.

Thanks for the info i really appreciate it. No way in hell i would buy that old oily busted up 87 i rode it was horrible. It was just to ride one to see if i liked it. And I DID! I was addicted after the first set of traffic lights LOL!!!!! How ever it had Cobra Pipes. And the bike was not as quick as i actually expected, this im putting down to the pipes robbing the power, it being full of flat spots, and i think it was full of issues.....

You guys can check out this one that is about an hour south of me. It looks VERY clean in the pictures....Can i get your opinion just from pics?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/... 1429 1428 1626 1480 4294967267 4294961240 83

Have a look!
I just bought a 2005 anniversay model for $5999. $6500 after tax and lic. Only 5000 miles. I would keep looking.

G'day mate,

$9000 asking for a very neat looking Vmax is good value here.
The bike LOOKS fantastic. With a KPH speedo it might be a Japper.
If you head down for a look, check if it's got v-boost. If it's no v-boost with cobra's it'll be a slug.

I rode mine to work yesterday and pulled up at a set of lights in Osborne Park, and heard someone saying hello. Turn around and there was a bloke on a grotty old mid 90's max. So, if you had been at that intersection yesterday morning you would have seen 2 of them!

If you get one, you will probably end up working on it yourself.
5 Star Yamaha is the only dealer you can trust, and they aren't exactly their specialty.
The bloke who has Tyres 4 Bikes in the North Perth area has one.
Recently I've seen about 4 blokes on here. One from Chittering way, but he dropped his last season and was having trouble locating an exhaust. (This forum here will get you ANY parts you need, and ebay is gold.)
There was another bloke from maybe somewhere near Warwick posted pics of his new Vmax project. He was FIFO and had a couple of other bikes inc. a v-rod.
So, they are out there. The community is growing! :punk:
I met an old dude in his 80's in Freo who was on an 85 that he bought new! He reckoned it had been around the clock 3 times, and he rides over to Phillip island! Rock on, old dude! :punk:

Get a good one and you will be stoked. They are a barrel of laughs.
I've spent some time and money on mine, but it's an '85 so it needed it. Got the exhaust and the jet kit. Everyone I ride with is commenting on how nice it sounds, and looks. It's a bit different. :biglaugh:

I'm biased. I wouldn't want another bike, because there is still nothing that competes with it in all areas. It got balls when you give it shit, and it's smooth enough in the bottom end had has enough torque to be ridable in pretty well any gear at any speed. Copes fine in traffic, is comfy, end nice for having a pillion. Chicks fall in love with being on the back.

If that $9000 one dooesn't have vboost, budget another 2k+ to make it fast, if you are interesting in doing the labour yourself. (V-boost, jet kit and pipes.) Or look for one with v-boost and std pipes.

I say YES! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Attachments

• veronicawithmarks.jpg
    veronicawithmarks.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
I just bought a 2005 anniversay model for $5999. $6500 after tax and lic. Only 5000 miles. I would keep looking.

$9000 for a stock '95....you're right, they must be pretty darn rare. That bike would go for maybe $3k in the US.

I'm always telling you guys you got it easy! How about a Gen2?
http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/details/yamaha-vmax-2009-11924720?__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__N=1432%201429%201428%204294967267%204294964271%201478%201476

:rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

The red gen 1 has something fishy with the right scoop. I might be seeing it wrongly but it seems its out of place, can be nothing or can be a head on that twisted the "neck" down. If you go look at it check the weldings and signs of frame twisting...

Latest posts

Back