COP insulators?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx72

Reaction score
Anyone found an easy slip over mod for cops to prevent arcing to the case when the engine is cold or the cases damp? I've got mine wrapped in some fiberglass muffler tape ATM, but it's relatively ghetto looking.

I used the rubbers from the original plug caps, see the pics.

But TBH, if you're seeing arcing I have a feeling you might wanna replace your COPs. Only $30ish for another set from fleaBay, it's worth a shot!

Attachments

• P1080274.jpg
    P1080274.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P1080298.jpg
    P1080298.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 70
Anyone found an easy slip over mod for cops to prevent arcing to the case when the engine is cold or the cases damp? I've got mine wrapped in some fiberglass muffler tape ATM, but it's relatively ghetto looking.

Dont you have some industrial grade heat shrink at work???

I know you have some large voltage motors there.

If You hava arc jumping around the heads then, You COP's are overloaded.
Its neither good or safety.

You may find something useful here:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5766&page=15

See Fargo, this is why I don't waste too much time gaffing gear from work and trying to figure out solutions. It's a wash when I have a perfectly good and well staffed R&D department here at the forums :p

I am currently running NO resistors in front of my COPs, because in the original discussion I was not satisfied with the heat dissipation ability of the resistor, and was concerned with a heat / resistance issue developing that would quickly lead to failure.

However it's correct, for the COP to be developing the level of charge necessary to cause arcing to block, the primary coil is overloaded and input voltage needs to be cut down.

I suppose one could immerse a resistor array in oil if I felt like building a small enclosure, should mitigate any heat concerns....

Hmmm. The game is once again afoot.

LOL I felt like a guinea pig haha :biglaugh:

No more Mod Monkey, Its time for Mod Ginea Pig :rofl_200:

Ok, serioulsy..
You may try to get Densos instead Mitsubishi, Densos seems to be more realible.
I found Mitsu working well but after resistor mod.

When plugin the resistors Id recommend to use non resistors spark plugs, It seems that engine runs smother this way. Or its just my imagination :ummm:

Its been more then half year Im running the COPs with 1 Ohm resistors, never had any issue.

I had a problem on my Yamaha snowmobile (essentially an R1 motor) with rough idle and it being hard to start when cold. The COP's (which sit recessed in the head like they're designed to) were arcing to the valve cover causing intermittent random misfires. In that case the COP's had a removeable sleeve over the "body" between the plug boot and cap. The listed fix was to remove that sleeve and clean under it with solvent. Sure enough, there was lots of sooty crap on there, and cleaning them stopped the arcing and made it run much better. I also added a teeny bit of dielectric grease on the plug stud and the harness connectors.

However I don't think most bike COP's have this (not sure what's it's function was on the sled either), and arcing from the plastic body probably means there's a microscopic hole burned in the side that the spark jumps from. A quick and easy way to test this/insulate it is to just wrap the COP's in black electrical tape several layers thick. It'll be a lot more discreet than wads of muffler tape and will prevent spark jump, at least for a while.

With the stock ignition, I'm running Mitsu's off a '07 R6. No resistors in-line, and the stock spec resistor NGK's. Over 2000 miles and runs great. Switching to a non-resistor plug will just mess with the radios in nearby cages.

I was thinking of using a bicycle inner tube over the body of the cop.

See Fargo, this is why I don't waste too much time gaffing gear from work and trying to figure out solutions. It's a wash when I have a perfectly good and well staffed R&D department here at the forums :p

Wow Bob
Did you just call me out on the forum???
Your original question was

Anyone found an easy slip over mod for cops to prevent arcing to the case when the engine is cold or the cases damp? I've got mine wrapped in some fiberglass muffler tape ATM, but it's relatively ghetto looking

I tried giving you a solution, something you asked for.
Guess I should learn my lesson and read your mind next time and answer the question you really meant to ask.

Latest posts

Back