COP update

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: COP update and New TCI...

Hey Guys,
I got a new TCI unit in from Bike Bandit. $403 plus $7 to ship. First a little story as to why I'm returning it.............. They idiot in their shipping dept. or whoever packaged the unit simply put the TCI unit in a box with NO packing material at all! Just my shipping order paper. So, when I happily received it, it had an actual hole in it. The cracked plastic pieces of the case were right there next to it in the Yamaha plastic bag. What morons. I can't keep a TCI with a damn hole in it and expect it to live.
I contacted them and they sent me a packing tag to print out and send the unit back. Good customer service, but what happened didn't have to if they only put a little bubble wrap or foam in the box to protect the unit in shipping. I'm sure they'll blame FedEx for the damage.

Anyway, I temporarily plugged it in after removing my blow Dyna 3000. Bike started right up and idles perfectly! I'm happy that was the only problem. Then I ran some amp tests. This is what I got:
Idle> 1000 rpm: 3.4 amps
2000 rpm: 3.4 amps
3000 rpm: 4.2 amps
4000+ rpm intermittent revving: 4.9 amps max.

Those numbers are way lower than what I was getting with the Dyna.

I looked at the Dyna after testing the TCI. What I found was a large 'bubble' in the plastic case. The unit got so hot that it bubbled the plastic and blew out a hole. Funny thing is, I used to notice a crack right at that point BEFORE I installed the COP mod. I think the Dyna runs hot when in normal use and is prone to problems due to this. Then with the COP mod, it simply could not handle the extra current/heat and blew this hole out and melted the case.

I tore the Dyna apart. I'm not going to spend the money to get it replaced. I'll never run one again anyway. What they do is flow epoxy into the unit so it's impossible to repair or even see most of what they have in there. But what I found was a heat sink and a blown power transistor right there where the melted plastic and hole was.

Now I'm returning the TCI back to Bike Bandit for replacement. The Dyna is now in the garbage.

I'd still like to see some amp readings from you guys that DID NOT do the COP mod yet. Just to see how they compare. But the COP mod is staying with me for now and so is a stock Yamaha TCI. Wish me luck,,,,,,:eusa_dance:

Vinnie

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 44

I have done the COP mod on my VMAX, I knew it was a good idea because I did it on my zzr about 18 months ago. Anyway the VMAX started straight up after being sat for 2 months and I know it would never have done that on standard coils so that is a major improvement. These stick coils appear to come in two types, the short ones which have a resistance of 1.2 ohms and the long ones which have much lower resistance. As some people are worried about increased current flow I would say check your cop resistance before you fit them. My Max is running the best it ever has done now so I would say the COP mod is the way to go.

Alan.

I used GSXR1000K1 stick coils.

I have done the COP mod on my VMAX, I knew it was a good idea because I did it on my zzr about 18 months ago. Anyway the VMAX started straight up after being sat for 2 months and I know it would never have done that on standard coils so that is a major improvement. These stick coils appear to come in two types, the short ones which have a resistance of 1.2 ohms and the long ones which have much lower resistance. As some people are worried about increased current flow I would say check your cop resistance before you fit them. My Max is running the best it ever has done now so I would say the COP mod is the way to go.

Alan.

Are you running the stock ignition?

Yes stock ignition. No problems yet.

These stick coils appear to come in two types, the short ones which have a resistance of 1.2 ohms and the long ones which have much lower resistance.
Alan.

Alan,
I have both a set of '05 GSXR600 and '99 CBR929, they all are the 'long' type and all eight show a resistance of 1.6 Ω on my multimeter.

Vin,
why did you get the TCI from BB? Did you call Gary @ Mondak for a price? What was the difference?

I did call Gary at Mondak. He told me the list price was somewhere around 600 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,, geez. He said that my cost though him would be $440.00 I shopped around a bit and saw that Bike Bandit had it for $403.00 plus shipping. Total cost of $411.00 So I went with BB.

I gotta admit,,,,,,, Bike Bandit did give me good customer service. They shipped the first one poorly. But I communicated with them via email on a Sunday. They replied that same day. They also said that another would be shipped when they got the old one back. They even sent me a return, prepaid FedEx label via email. I tracked the package online and the same day the old one got there, they sent me an email telling me the new one shipped. I mean that's as fast as you can be.

I got it all wired up and started the bike up tonight, just about an hour ago. Runs great! Choke on for only 15 seconds. No popping through carb even though I gave it a bit of gas when the bike was still cold. Can't wait to ride this weekend.

May be my imagination but the bike seems smoother and started easier with the COP mod and the stock TCI then with the COP mod and the Dyna.

Vinnie

Good stuff. I can definitely confirm that it starts a lot easier with COPs than with OEM coils. It's about the only real difference I've noticed so far, although it may be a tad happier in the lower mid-range too.

This is the first time I've been able to scan through this long thread, and I'm seeing where the primary current to the coils is being an issue for some of you and it's asking to much current to come through the TCI.....

This may have already been looked at/posted by someone and forgive me if this is a redundant post....

Just a thought,

It looks like the COP's y'all are talking about are a two wire coil, where the actual load for the coil comes from the TCI.....

Some late model vehicles (Nissan 350Z/G35 in particular) use a three wire terminal.

It uses a power transistor built into the coil to turn the coil on and off

How it works is that 12 volts positive and 12 volts negative are brought to the coil at all times.

The third wire is the "GATE" signal to fire the coil, and that signal comes from the Engine control module...

This effectively reduces the power/current requiremnt that have to travel thru the TCI itself to near Zero.....

The one problem (I think) is that the gate signal from the ECU on the cars is a 5vdc+ (I Think) and the signal from the vmax TCI is a 12 ground reference...

Maybe someone can use this???????

Rusty

This is the first time I've been able to scan through this long thread, and I'm seeing where the primary current to the coils is being an issue for some of you and it's asking to much current to come through the TCI.....

This may have already been looked at/posted by someone and forgive me if this is a redundant post....

Just a thought,

It looks like the COP's y'all are talking about are a two wire coil, where the actual load for the coil comes from the TCI.....

Some late model vehicles (Nissan 350Z/G35 in particular) use a three wire terminal.

It uses a power transistor built into the coil to turn the coil on and off

How it works is that 12 volts positive and 12 volts negative are brought to the coil at all times.

The third wire is the "GATE" signal to fire the coil, and that signal comes from the Engine control module...

This effectively reduces the power/current requiremnt that have to travel thru the TCI itself to near Zero.....

The one problem (I think) is that the gate signal from the ECU on the cars is a 5vdc+ (I Think) and the signal from the vmax TCI is a 12 ground reference...

Maybe someone can use this???????

Rusty

Our ignitions are not like this. We have 12 volts all the time and only when the TCI sees the pickups does it interupt the signal allowing the spark to occur. What you are describing above is a form of CDI ignition. Ours are TCI.

I don't know why the idea still couldn't work. Just use a transistor and a circuit designed to operate normally closed instead of normally open. I know almost but not quite enough to be able to pick out an appropriate transistor and design it and make it work.

Ok just to be for sure which goes where going to the coil is the R/W common wire supposed to go to the left or the right side of the coil pin. any help thanks.

Yep, the common wire to each connector is the POSITIVE. Its on the right side of the connector when the connector is installed on the COP.

Back