Cop ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
Hi guys I went looking for my front coils and after removing the airbox and the side scoops I finally see where they are .Gosh !,What a pain.I hear this system is plug and play but it looks like the front tkes alittle time to just get to the two front coil plugs to connect to .

Well it is my understanding that you will disconnect the coils, front and back, and plug the COP'S in. Ive read on here that most people will just leave the front coils in place, because they are such a pain to remove.

^ That's what I did.
I didn't see any reason to remove them, the 2 lbs or so that they weigh doesn't bother me.

I removed mine and not only are they hard to get to, but the damn screws are so friggin tight that I thought I was gonna blow a nut turning the screwdriver! It's all plug and play if you have one of Gannon's COP kits.

If you are not worried about the weight, leave them in. Like 06VMAXIMUS said the screws are tight. I removed my screws with a small pair of vice grips. To me loosing that small amount of weight made a difference to me, I can tell a difference when moving the bike around in the garage.

If you are not worried about the weight, leave them in. Like 06VMAXIMUS said the screws are tight. I removed my screws with a small pair of vice grips. To me loosing that small amount of weight made a difference to me, I can tell a difference when moving the bike around in the garage.

Isnt it like 3lbs.I know its plug and play but the plugs are not very long in the front .It seems like you have to stick your hands way in to the front to get at them.I had to take the airbox off just to see it.

Anorak fact: Each coil and associate lead and cap weighs 313 grams (11.04 oz.)

Perhaps I should try to get out more?

The coils screws are very tight! VERY TIGHT! I used a good fitting screwdriver and a vice grip to break their hold, but I had my engine out at the time so I was afforded extra room.

Well ,that makes it much easier .Can anyone who put the cops on thier bike tell me how to put the front cops on and what they had to remove to do so ?.Thanks.

You should just have to disconnect the the wiring from the coil, front and rear (wiring and spark plug wire) plug cop's into wire, and run to spark plug. So your leaving the coil in place, but its not hooked up to anything.

You should just have to disconnect the the wiring from the coil, front and rear (wiring and spark plug wire) plug cop's into wire, and run to spark plug. So your leaving the coil in place, but its not hooked up to anything.

Sounds good to me but did you see where the plugs in the front are ?.They are not real easy to get to .I have both scoops and the airbox off and now! I can see the front coils and plugs.

Don't forget to criss cross the front plug ins. The plug in on the right coil goes to the left COP and the plug in from the left coil goes to the right COP. I think I said that right, if I didn't someone please correct my statement........

I did a little searching and if you remove the two front scoops and the electonics panel on the left side and the shroud on the right ignition switch you van access each plug in .The left side is easier than the right .Shame they couldnt put all four coils in one spot and run the wires from one point.I dont think the guys who design vehicles intend on workung on them .My wife had a Dodge Stratos and to get to the Battery ,you had to jack up the car and remove the front pass tire and remove the wheel well.Can you believe that .What was the guy who designed that smokin?!!!.

I did a little searching and if you remove the two front scoops and the electonics panel on the left side and the shroud on the right ignition switch you van access each plug in .The left side is easier than the right .Shame they couldnt put all four coils in one spot and run the wires from one point.I dont think the guys who design vehicles intend on workung on them .My wife had a Dodge Stratos and to get to the Battery ,you had to jack up the car and remove the front pass tire and remove the wheel well.Can you believe that .What was the guy who designed that smokin?!!!.
"Imported from Detroit", you can make your guesses from there!

Drink beer, Pull engine, drink more beer, remove the front coils, little more beer, hook up COPs one at a time, time for more beer....replace engine if you're not to drunk. Makes for a kick ass day and you don't have to worry about that 3 extra pounds on your bike.:punk:

Cheers
Darren

Actually left mine in until I had to pull the engine. Then it was easy...Spray with some WD40 or your fav lube:eusa_dance:, let penetrate:biglaugh: a while and they come out a lot easier.

Back