Craigs List- Be Careful.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
I'm selling the Aero Stitch suit for my departed friend's Widow.
I got a response asking for all kinds of personal information, with
a bullshit story about their agent picking the suit up for them because
the pic looked fine. I emailed back and told them there was a mistake,
the suit wasn't $550, it?s supposed to be $850.No problem, they still
want the suit and my info. So I sent it, I told them anyone that answers the phone will gladly help them.
Address and phone number to the Barnstable, MA Police Detective Division given. I couldn't resist
Steve-o

Every time I try to sell something on Craigslist, most or all my responses are some sort of scam. I haven't received a legit Craigslist response in over two years. :bang head:

I've had my share of scammers, but most of the time I only am answering to buy something anyway! I have gotten some good deals, & it usually involves my hobby stuff. This being 'my hobby stuff.'

The ones I like are the 3 yr.old H-D's for "$4995!" And I am not speaking of 883 Darks.

I sell a lot of stuff on Craig's list. every add I get somebody who is on a ship, or out of the states for a while and their "agent" will pick the item up. my standard reply is to paypay/wire their Agent the money and have him stop by to buy the item. I also always get the guy that wants to offer 1/2 of the asking price too. While I'm on the phone I say "cash in my hand, right now, I'll take it" Then they want to look at it! It pisses me off to no end when people want to beat you down on price before they even come out to look at whatever.

Every time I try to sell something on Craigslist, most or all my responses are some sort of scam. I haven't received a legit Craigslist response in over two years. :bang head:

Same here....every response is a scam.

"I am very interested in your item....blah, blah!"

My response.... "Dude, you got any idea what this 'item' is?"

CLICK!

Altho I did sell the FJR to a guy who worked on off-shore drilling rigs and was in 'drydock' in Singapore. Thought fer sure that was a bs deal but he sent a bank check for $3K to hold it and 5 weeks later (which was plenty of time fior the funds to clear), when he returned to SC, he drove up and picked it up.

I ve had all kinds of deals on ebay and craigslist.

Scammers as well. I ve had people send checks, damn good fakes I will say. I turned it over to the FBI.

But yes I tell them its available for local pick up and they can just send the money and have their shipper come pick up the item.

Usually 99% of the time, that is the last you hear from them. If they are stupid enough to send someone over..... well you are coming to a gun store...... lol.

Todd

I did sell the K1200rs ON CL. The buyer lived in my state. He called, brought cash, didn't even haggle. We swaped info for a ride sometime.
In e-mail correspondence, if you say there has been a mistake and the price is double, any legit buyer will tell you to.........

I have bought and sold tons of stuff on craigslist. When I sell I dont put an email only my phone number & my adds are usually a little rude. It seems to cut out the flakes. I dont get a whole lot of calls but the people who call me are usually serious.

When I decided to sell my '98 Vmax this past summer and to advertise it on CL (I've never tried to sell anything on CL before) I took a friends advice and did NOT post my phone number, my email address nor any other contact info. I posted in ALL CAPS at the bottom of my ad that I would only respond to inquiries directed to me through CL. I didn't have to deal with a single scam attempt, low-baller or tire-kicker.

Scott

I usually get a ton of spam. Last month I put up an ad for one of our old work truck. Only got 1 response so far and it was for real. Coulda knocked me over with a feather. Still didn't sell the truck though.

I just tell everyone to text me lately.

And lately since I posted my 97 Vmax up for sale, I ve had people text me at 1 am and 11 pm so far on it....... oh well I guess.

Todd

Same here....every response is a scam.

"I am very interested in your item....blah, blah!"

My response.... "Dude, you got any idea what this 'item' is?"

CLICK!

Yeah... i had a guy even send the fake check 4700 bucks for my bike plus shipping.
I brought it to the bank so they could check to see if it was real... it took them almost a day and a half to find out it was a fake. they said if I had cashed it I could have gotten in trouble too. they wanted me to fill out a police report in all kinds of paperwork.
but I didn't have all that kind of time.

another scam: my girlfriend called on a house for rent (awesome house for cheap, too good to be true)... the guy said just send the money and will send you the key , and that he lived in Brazil and did not want to deal with Realtors.... turned out he was just taking pictures from other Craigslist ads and re posting them as his own hoping some fool would actually send him the money.

buyer (and seller now) beware..

Last edited:
Same issue here Steveooooo I usually post my number & put in caps NO EMAILS they will be deleted !!!! or have them put a keyword in the subject line. I think most of these scumb bag scammers are all done automaticaly through a server?? sooo fkn frustraiting..

When I decided to sell my '98 Vmax this past summer and to advertise it on CL (I've never tried to sell anything on CL before) I took a friends advice and did NOT post my phone number, my email address nor any other contact info. I posted in ALL CAPS at the bottom of my ad that I would only respond to inquiries directed to me through CL. I didn't have to deal with a single scam attempt, low-baller or tire-kicker.

Scott

This is exactly what I do but still get the scammers. The only way to contact me is thru CL. The scamming only seems to happen on high dollar items though. Not worth their trouble I guess... :confused2:

I sold a model airplane collection off Craigslist to a guy in Singapore sight unseen. I said send the check and as soon as it clears, I would load it all up and deliver to his local adress for free. Two weeks later I got the check and a key to his house less than an hour away!
Check cleared and it took me all day to load it, deliver it and unload it all. I still keep in touch with the guy while he is abroad.

This is exactly what I do but still get the scammers. The only way to contact me is thru CL. The scamming only seems to happen on high dollar items though. Not worth their trouble I guess... :confused2:

I hear ya Bro, that's why I was surprised to get bothered for a $550 item. My wife and I got a cashiers check for a few g's once and brought it to the bank. It looked great, but wasn't real. The bank will sometimes cash one, then take the money out of your account when it bounces.
uhm00000.gif

The good thing is scammers are obvious, usually. They want to send someone to pick it up, pay you more for your trouble ect. They seem to be on a ship a lot too.
Steve-o

I also always get the guy that wants to offer 1/2 of the asking price too. While I'm on the phone I say "cash in my hand, right now, I'll take it" Then they want to look at it! It pisses me off to no end when people want to beat you down on price before they even come out to look at whatever.

Im guilty of that. Iv pissed some people off. Sue me.. :biglaugh:
Reason being, everything Iv found which suits me is traveling distance away, and I have to know what bottom dollar is before I travel.

What some people seem to forget is that's its all business and if you don't like a offer its not fightin words.. In fact Iv had people wave cash in my face and I just laugh..

Back