Custom Gauge Set Up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Well you guys.

I couldnt very well add a fuel gauge and have it stay on my handlebars and I didnt want to mount it up by the speedometer so....

I made a custom gauge mount to fit the OEM dash.

Still a work in progress but here are some pics.

I used a 1/8" piece of scrap aluminum that was at my plant, cut the holes and sprayed it a flat black.

Put in the LED holders, 3mm super bright LEDs to follow.

Mounted up the gauges.
I am using Marshall Instrument Gauges, full sweep electric, for the Fuel and Oil Press.
The water temp is from Equus. It is the only 1.5" electric water temp gauge I could find that was half way decent looking.
The bezels dont match but I dont think it looks too bad.

Put them in the cover.

Now all I have left to do is wire everything up.

Attachments

• 2010-05-14 16.17.50.jpg
    2010-05-14 16.17.50.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 2010-05-14 16.07.39.jpg
    2010-05-14 16.07.39.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 2010-05-14 16.22.17.jpg
    2010-05-14 16.22.17.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 2010-05-14 16.24.46.jpg
    2010-05-14 16.24.46.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 184
Nice work Fargo!! :thumbs up:

Personally, I think the H2O temp gauge looks better with the thinner bezel...you're getting the most gauge for the least bezelage....sortta.
I like it! :punk:

I guess I should have take a pic of the gauges before putting them on because in all reality the water/oil bezels are the thinner ones. They just go inward on the gauge face to make it look bigger than it is. (you know how that is right danny boy :rofl_200:)

I am having a hard time getting the back to go together so that it will mount on the bike. Might have to custom fab something else up.

Hoping to get it done this weekend, not looking like it.

Looks good!

I was in contact with Marshall back in January. I was looking for 3 gauges in 1.5" size for boost, oil press, water temp. No luck. I saw they have a decent tach for a good price that I think would be plug and play with the max. Adjustable from 1-12 cylinders.

Been switching my eye over to autometer. Wondering if I can make 3 phantom gauges in 2 1/16" fit in the pod. Then put a 5" monster tach with shift light on the bars....Thats what I've been thinking but haven't done.

I bought a spare gauge pod for cheap from a local just for this reason. Been dragging my feet on doing any experimentation though.

I was planning on 5mm LED's but your 3mm's look good. Nice work!

So do all of those gauge have lighitng in them?

Looks good!

I was in contact with Marshall back in January. I was looking for 3 gauges in 1.5" size for boost, oil press, water temp. No luck. I saw they have a decent tach for a good price that I think would be plug and play with the max. Adjustable from 1-12 cylinders.

Been switching my eye over to autometer. Wondering if I can make 3 phantom gauges in 2 1/16" fit in the pod. Then put a 5" monster tach with shift light on the bars....Thats what I've been thinking but haven't done.

I bought a spare gauge pod for cheap from a local just for this reason. Been dragging my feet on doing any experimentation though.

I was planning on 5mm LED's but your 3mm's look good. Nice work!

So do all of those gauge have lighitng in them?

Well let me tell you from experience you CAN NOT make 3- 2 1/16" fit in the pod. You can see by my pics there is barely enough room to fit 2-2 1/16" with a 1.5" with lights.

I am sure you can make the 5mm LEDs fit just fine, you would just have to plan it out accordingly.

Yes all the gauges have lighting in them.
The marshall gauges have 2 different colors, either white or amber, neither of which you can see in the day. So for easy night time viewing I am going to wire up the amber. Also the gauges have a warning point, that you program, that will flash the amber when you reach that setting. I have my fuel gauge to flash at 1/8 tank level and my oil set at 4 psig.

The water gauge is just a standard bulb in there.

The reason I Couldnt go with Autometer is because of the fuel gauge. I wanted full sweep gauges and the full sweep Autometer gauges send out a pulse and it "confuses" the sender in the tank. Plus the Marshal gauges were much more reasonably priced and in my opinion keep with the style of the bike. They have silver and black gauges as well, I just chose the white.

If anyone wants any help setting some up let me know

Lookin` good Fargo,
I just painted my tank cover and the scoop today , but will probably have to sand the scoop/control panel again to get a really smooth and glossy finish cause it`s made of plastic but everything fits and works well.
I can`t wait to see it all together.
<<Dave>>:punk:

Lookin` good Fargo,
I just painted my tank cover and the scoop today , but will probably have to sand the scoop/control panel again to get a really smooth and glossy finish cause it`s made of plastic but everything fits and works well.
I can`t wait to see it all together.
:ttiwwp:

Put up some pics Bro

I have been considering a similar mod to my gauge cluster....my issue and question to you is.....how do you plan to mount this on the bike once complete? The factory mount attaches to the studs in the white plastic that houses all the stock stuff....what are your plans? I have not been able to come up with a reasonable solution other than hogging out the white plastic to accomidate the new gauges and hope to be able to leave enough for the mounting studs.

-MK

I have been considering a similar mod to my gauge cluster....my issue and question to you is.....how do you plan to mount this on the bike once complete? The factory mount attaches to the studs in the white plastic that houses all the stock stuff....what are your plans? I have not been able to come up with a reasonable solution other than hogging out the white plastic to accomidate the new gauges and hope to be able to leave enough for the mounting studs.

-MK

So far that is what I have had to do. Need to scoop out some more plastic to make things fit.
Have to start over though on the gray insert piece. I pulled the trigger prematurely (happens every now and then) and cut off the mounting tabs when I was cutting out the face so it would slip in around the gauges. You can see where they used to be marked by the orange arrows.

I am sure I can cut out enough plastic to accomodate the new gauges and leave the enough for the white plastic to attach to the mounts on the gray piece. (when I make a new one) As you can see I have already cut off the sides completely. It doesnt fit with the gauges in there
If I cant get the white plastic to work I will pull out the metal tabs from the plastic and fab up a piece of metal to fit between the two end tabs and weld the metal tabs to it.

Attachments

• 2010-05-15 17.32.351.jpg
    2010-05-15 17.32.351.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 62
  • 2010-05-15 17.33.56.jpg
    2010-05-15 17.33.56.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 2010-05-15 17.34.25.jpg
    2010-05-15 17.34.25.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
:ttiwwp:

Put up some pics Bro
I will post new pics when the paint dries enough to assemble them together.
But today I was a porsche mechanic (did a tune up on the boxter for the little woman (after a good nagging for me to do it )LOL.:damn angry::damn angry:
But, I can`t find the damn air box on that thing, guess I`m going to have to tear apart the interior once again to access the motor once again tomorrow.:bang head::bang head::bang head:

-MK
I took all the wiring to the lights and guages and labled them what they were positive & negative.
then I went to auto zone and bought a scoop (the small one for $15.99 and took out the screen.
then I went to lowe`s and bought a small piece of plexi glass, brought it home shaped it, figured out how I wanted to configure the lights and drilled the holesto fit the l.e.d. lamps that I bought from radio shack along with "do it yourself connectors, then I cut and spliced each set of wires from the harness and did the same with the wires from my new control panel/scoop, slapped in a blue L.E.D. block to illuminate the thing and my L.E.D. alarm tracer light to look like I have an alarm(till I get one) and because I didn`t want to cut the cover to fit the scoop, I did a little metal re shaping and I`m going to epoxy the sides and screw the front of the scoop to to the formed cover.
everything works when test connected, so I hope it looks ok and if not I will sand it down and use body putty to smoothen out any rough edges that I notice.
and thats how I did it.
The end,

Here is what it looks like so far.

Attachments

• 105_5814.jpg
    105_5814.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 105_5819.jpg
    105_5819.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 105_5818.jpg
    105_5818.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 62
Here is what I had to do to make the back work/fit. The drimmel tool is your best friend at this point

The gray plastic piece had the entire front part removed leaving the tabs for the screws. I cut them off last time by mistake.
Also had to shorten up to two bottom tabs about 1/2" so they would fit with the gauges in the back.

Next I had to pretty much destroy the white plastic part. Only leaving intact the 4 screw holes that attach to the gray piece and of course the three tabs that the metal piece attaches to.

Attachments

• 2010-05-19 14[1].50.38.jpg
    2010-05-19 14[1].50.38.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2010-05-19 14[1].51.14.jpg
    2010-05-19 14[1].51.14.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2010-05-19 14[1].50.12.jpg
    2010-05-19 14[1].50.12.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2010-05-19 14[1].46.03.jpg
    2010-05-19 14[1].46.03.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 45
  • 2010-05-19 14[1].58.47.jpg
    2010-05-19 14[1].58.47.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 45
Thats pretty cool,
I would like see a picture of the front side all put together tho LOL.
We need to take pics of the bikes when the`re done.and if we get some good ones, I will blow them up to poster size.

Thats pretty cool,
I would like see a picture of the front side all put together tho LOL.
We need to take pics of the bikes when the`re done.and if we get some good ones, I will blow them up to poster size.

Pic 4 on the first post is it all put together.
Are you talking about with the lights on and all that stuff as well???
I can do a quick mock up tomorrow maybe and see how it looks and post some pics

Back