Damaged 2007

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would almost be willing to bet that the frame is bent. As we all know, the Max has a frame with the rigidity of spaghetti. If something was hit hard enough to do that kind of damage to the forks, the frame is almost definitely tweaked. It may not even be notable with the naked eye, but I bet you will know it when you try to ride it

I'm with ouchez. If it was insured, they probably totally it and sold the remains for $500-1000 bucks. I would have bought it in a heartbeat. But reselling it to us with the pupe dream of 500 getting it all fixed up. Piss poor if you ask me. Personally I feel I could get back on the road safely but finding the parts cheap is a whole different story. Screw sending parts out for repairs. Find good used stuff like forks and wheels. In the end it is a wrecked bike you could never sell for top dollar but could enjoy it on the cheap for the years you own it.

The guy has already been paid off by Insurance I bet.

$1000 offer is fair.

Ouchez

That's what I'm thinking too....been totalled and bought back, or this guy bought it from the insurance co., either way you got a salvage title and little to no chance of getting it back on the road without a shitload of work.

So....what do you want to pay for a late model parts bike....:confused2:

My 2005 went end over end, forks were tweaked and wheel was bent. I still rode it up to 150mph before I fixed it and it wasn't bad at all. Swapped out the forks, fixed the wheel, and it was (and is) one of the smoothest vmax's I ever had.

The frame is incredibly strong in the neck area and all that ever usually happens is some dings where the triples swing around and hit it. I have seen bent frames but it's usually from contact with another vehicle.

Sean

Sallymax took a wicked shot in the front end, bent both forks, bent wheel, pinched the headers against the motor and knocked the downtubes back tilting the motor up over 1/2." I replaced all the broken & bent stuff, straightened the frame and put 7K - 8K on it before trading for an FJR. It drove fine, except for a de-cel wobble that came & went.

That was an '06 w/4K which I bought for $2400....BUT, the title was still clean.

Sallymax took a wicked shot in the front end, bent both forks, bent wheel, pinched the headers against the motor and knocked the downtubes back tilting the motor up over 1/2." I replaced all the broken & bent stuff, straightened the frame and put 7K - 8K on it before trading for an FJR. It drove fine, except for a de-cel wobble that came & went.

That was an '06 w/4K which I bought for $2400....BUT, the title was still clean.

How did you straighten the frame?

A family members quad suffered a minor roll over. Damage seemed pretty minimal. Looked like just an instrument cluster and some plastic welding would do the trick.

I found the cluster for cheap. Tried to bolt it on but ran into some issues. Pulled the plastics off and started investigating. Found that a crossbar on the frame that holds the steering shaft is bent pretty badly. It is shaped like a U instead of a flat plate. Paint is cracked but no cracks in the metal.

I'd much rather not remove the engine to put a jack in the frame and try to push the plate out. My idea to get it straight involves parking the quad against a tree, wrapping one end of a 2 Ton come-a-long around the tree and attaching the other end to the offending member and cranking till it straightens out.

Not sure if this will actually work or not. Just an idea at this point :biglaugh:

A family members quad suffered a minor roll over. Damage seemed pretty minimal. Looked like just an instrument cluster and some plastic welding would do the trick.

I found the cluster for cheap. Tried to bolt it on but ran into some issues. Pulled the plastics off and started investigating. Found that a crossbar on the frame that holds the steering shaft is bent pretty badly. It is shaped like a U instead of a flat plate. Paint is cracked but no cracks in the metal.

I'd much rather not remove the engine to put a jack in the frame and try to push the plate out. My idea to get it straight involves parking the quad against a tree, wrapping one end of a 2 Ton come-a-long around the tree and attaching the other end to the offending member and cranking till it straightens out.

Not sure if this will actually work or not. Just an idea at this point :biglaugh:

haha what we do to save time.

i got rear ended towing my landscaping trailer last year and it bent in the bottom of the drop gate. dealt with it a bit then finally fixed it by driving my blazer over it a few times then getting a bottle jack and jacking off the jack point on the blazer and pushing the gate back straight. had to prop the gate up on two rocks so that i could bend it past straight to get it straight.

That's not a lot different then a frame machine would do either.

That's not a lot different then a frame machine would do either.

Same thing, just a few less short peices of chain! :biglaugh:

No reason why that won't work Mike, depending how critical it is it would be nice to have a similar machine to get measurements from, then go a little over and let it relax.

Latest posts

Back