Darwin took a day off.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't publish a warning. Have to weed out the stupid fuckers somehow....

I've witnessed lots of people attempting to get "closer closeups" with themselves and the wild animals in National parks over the years. So many times, it's become a pastime of mine when visiting one of those parks now. I will sit a safe distance away, and simply wait until the next carload of tourists comes along - for me it seems it's almost always the people of oriental persuasion, though not always, that want to get up the closest to the grazing, or resting, animals....especially when there's at least four people in their group. They will take turns having one of their buddies take the pics, while the rest of them back up as close as possible for the shot, then they will swap out who is to hold the camera for the next picture. Each picture taken will usually result in the rest of that group getting closer and closer............usually does not stop until the animal exhibits restlessness, or snorts it's displeasure, or whatever. Then the next car will roll up...............repeat.

I wouldn't publish a warning. Have to weed out the stupid fuckers somehow....

There are warnings all over the park. People just ignore them. Rangers are constantly stopping along the roads, to shoo people back into their cars.
When I was there a few years back, I saw rangers physically restrain a man, who was running towards a grizzly, camera in hand. His family had been urging him on.
The day after I left the park, I read in the newspaper that a 10 yr.old Chinese girl had been tossed by a bison, when her parents had told her to get close to it, again for a photo-op.
Great place to visit, but too crowded for me.
Not the number of wild animals, but the domesticated humans. They overrun the place.
Cheers!

There are warnings all over the park. People just ignore them. Rangers are constantly stopping along the roads, to shoo people back into their cars.
When I was there a few years back, I saw rangers physically restrain a man, who was running towards a grizzly, camera in hand. His family had been urging him on.
The day after I left the park, I read in the newspaper that a 10 yr.old Chinese girl had been tossed by a bison, when her parents had told her to get close to it, again for a photo-op.
Great place to visit, but too crowded for me.
Not the number of wild animals, but the domesticated humans. They overrun the place.
Cheers!

It's been a few years since I have been there, it has become quite crowded. I used to go in the spring or fall outside tourist season but there really is no good time anymore. I used to ride Yellowstone and Tetons most years coming from Seattle to the Black Hills but the traffic just became to much.

Even people with no exposure to wild animals should innately know that bison are not to be fucked with, their power can be felt in the base of your brain when your anywhere near. There is no way not to notice the danger unless your a black belt in ignoring red flags and natural danger cues. I was riding with a guy in Custer state park and he had a fail so we stopped, we got boxed in by bison and for a few minutes there we were hiding behind his bike from said bison, they didnt bother us thankfully but the tension and adrenaline was off the charts. By the time we realized we were getting boxed in it was to late. There is just no pretense of cute cuddly petting zoo there at all.

+1 to taking down the signs and allowing the gene pool to self-correct. Even an agitated deer can fuck up your whole week given wrong place/wrong time. This is one of those situations where someones stupidity puts them at great risk but not the rest of us, we need more of this.

I was moving from Washington to Michigan and went through Yellowstone (the 3rd time I had been there) with a Chevy Astro and a small enclosed U-Haul in tow. I came in the west entrance driving along the Fire hole river going east watching the bison grazing on the other side of the river but before long I ran into a few that were crossing the river and onto the road in front of me. I had been enjoying the view from across the river stopping to take a few pics but when they were on the road in front of me the enjoyment turned to concern when up close they were almost able to look into the windows of the van! I had stopped probably 50-60' from when they were coming onto the road and got very nervous realizing that I had no escape, at least no quick escape with the trailer in tow. Luckily they moseyed on by giving me a exciting up close look at these very large and magnificent animals. Too close of a Darwin moment for me!

Years ago, a friend of mine worked a call at the Wichita Wildlife preserve. A guy on a motorcycle was tooling along, about 15-20 mph......and got blindsided by a Buffalo. The guy wasnt in very good shape when my friend picked him up with the ambulance.

If you are riding around wildlife and stuff changes you can put cars between yourself and the beast. Usually if there is a herd nearby there are cars stopped to see it. Usually. Oddly enough most motorists seem to understand why you might be on the shoulder creeping the wrong way beside cars to get away from a herd. Just riding a bike in Custer state park is taking some risk, just the way it is.

In the videos the bikes that did get hit still got off pretty easy, they can hit a whole lot harder if they choose to. Adult bulls can weight around a ton and some say they can approach 40 mph in full charge. I can assure you these guys got a real break. Most of these rammings look more like warnings than a Bison experiencing the fight or flight response to a threat. The fact that they can ram something and calmly walk away would sure indicate that maximum rage has not been experienced.

Oh, if any of you boys are curious just give me a call when your in the area, I'll be happy to bring you through. It really is an experience, especially if you dont live near wildlife.

Some of those do look pretty dumb, but in all fairness I have to be grateful that Darwin was at least looking the other way from time to time, or I wouldn't have made it this far.

Supposedly this worker entered the cage without removing the tiger to a secured area first.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-tiger-attack-folo-wednesday-20160420-story.html

Palm Beach Zoo animal keeper killed during a tiger attack died from a neck injury, and now the tiger she cared for is facing death threats, according to new details of the investigation disclosed Wednesday.

Stacey Konwiser, 37, was killed Friday by an endangered Malayan tiger — one of four she worked with during her three years at the zoo in West Palm Beach.

Palm Beach County Medical Examiner Michael Bell on Wednesday confirmed that Konwiser died from a neck injury. He wouldn't say whether Konwiser had been bitten or injured in another way by the tiger.

Bell said more details about the extent of Konwiser's injuries would be disclosed in the autopsy report, which has not yet been released.

"The neck injury was the serious one," Bell said. While state and federal investigators continue to investigate how Konwiser died, the West Palm Beach Police Department on Wednesday said it is also investigating a threat to the tiger made in the aftermath of the attack.

Konwiser was attacked about 1:55 p.m. Friday in the zoo's behind-the-scenes area, where the tigers sleep and eat, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
How fast Konwiser was able to receive medical care is one of the issues about her death that is being investigated.

The zoo opted to tranquilize the tiger instead of shooting to kill. Animal experts say it can take five minutes or longer for animals to feel the effects of a tranquilizer. Zoo officials have not disclosed how long it took for the tranquilizer to immobilize this tiger and clear the way to help Konwiser.

Bell wouldn't comment on whether Konwiser died instantly. It could take at least a month to get the results of toxicology reports to finalize the autopsy report, Bell said.
The zoo has maintained that its emergency response system worked, emphasizing that guests were never in danger and that tranquilizing the endangered tiger was the appropriate decision.

The tiger was in the night room, which is a secured area. I think the procedure was fairly "routine", as much as it can be with cats.

Attachments

• ows_146093835367050.jpg
    ows_146093835367050.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
There is always supposed to be a secured barrier capable of withstanding a breach attempt by the wild animal between any worker and the animal.

A member of my family has worked at multiple zoos in the Midwest and the south, her specialty has been pachyderms, but now she maintains the breeding records. She explained the process to me the caregivers are required to follow. The released report on this FL location is not favorable to the victim.

Some of those do look pretty dumb, but in all fairness I have to be grateful that Darwin was at least looking the other way from time to time, or I wouldn't have made it this far.

I think maybe we get periodic passes for good deeds. In retrospect I have stood in defiance more than once. That guy in the HD shirt probably saved a school bus full of children. His friend in the Victory shirt was a little smarter. They guy with the Yamaha shirt was the one behind the camera calling them both stupid.:ummm:

Back