Dead Shorai Battery after 3 days

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well crap; bike died after a half an hour ride. It appears as though it charges when cold, but when it gets up to temp, nothing. I'll have to start troubleshooting from scratch.

If it's temp related I would start checking stator readings cold and hot. Even half an hour is short for no charge.

what i don't grasp yet is. If a normal battery charger is no good for a lithium battery.
Then what is the charging system on a vmax doing? is it only charging 1 cell?

That seems bullshit. I know that the standard voltage reading on agms is different from standard lead acid. But as long as your charging system outputs more than the spec voltage of the battery it should be ok

Woody..
They don't recommend using a regular battery tender in the house because many of them has that desulfication feature that can cause a lithium battery to overcharge and explode, to whereas the bike does not.

Woody..
They don't recommend using a regular battery tender in the house because many of them has that desulfication feature that can cause a lithium battery to overcharge and explode, to whereas the bike does not.

no one around hear knows anything about lithium batteries.
they say a normal charger will only charge 1 cell period.

I like the lithiums i have seen. very light and lots of cca's.
just not ready to drop the $. If it could damage my charging system.

2nd year on my odessy and bike starts great.

I like the lithiums i have seen. very light and lots of cca's.
just not ready to drop the $. If it could damage my charging system.

2nd year on my odessy and bike starts great.

I have a Shorai & you can use a regular battery tender 1.5 amp non desulfication. It also works just fine in the bike.

Dave

Those batteries need a minimum of 13.1v for charging. And as all knows the vmax is prone to having charging issues that may cause a premature death of the battery. They are also sensitive to over voltage.

Actually, I've been dealing with lithium batteries for almost 10 years now.
I fly radio controlled aircraft as a hobby. The hobby really took off, (pun intended), when Lithium Polymer (LiPo) was introduced. Lighter, Way more powerful, but dangerous if not handled correctly.
My former club asked me to give a training class on the proper use, maintenance, and disposal of these new batteries, after some club members were getting in trouble with them. One guy almost burned down his garage. He used the wrong charger.

Anyway, the Shorai battery, when used in the bike, does not need any special care, other than a working charging system. :)..

That statement is misleading.
A normal charger will charge 1 Battery, But, 1 Battery can be made up of many cells, which gives you the voltage needed to to the job it was designed for..

Latest posts

Back