dead vmax....no spark

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
Yesterday, the max run fine.....went to work.....back home.....no problem!
TODAY....took the car, after work came home to take the bike out......went to start it.....just cranked and cranked.
I pulled the plugs.....cleaned them.....tried again....NOTHING... (crank but no start!)
I put another plug on each wire to check for spark and am NOT getting any.
(it IS ok to test for spark with the plugs in and use another plug I assume)
Fuel pump working....filter ok.....doesnt matter anyhow with no spark.
Could it be the starter relay? (the round thing in between the rear coils)
It did seem pretty warm.....almost felt like it was heating up.
It's got to be electrical, right?
I don't have an ohm meter, so I cant even test anything.
BTW......BRAND NEW gell battery too!

Must be ride envy! Imagine taking the car when the bike is sitting there! :biglaugh: Any ways, it isn't a starter or relay issue if it is cranking. When you pulled the plugs, were they wet?

nope.....a little white actually.
There is absolutely no spark.
Bout ready to give up and sell it along with everything else!
Everything here is going to shit! (relationship included)

My first guess with out having a schematic here would be the stop circut.Dirty switch contact?I'll look in the book after I get home from work.

Don't get dicouraged too easily.If you only knew what all I have been through with my bike.I have never worked on something so much or had so many problems with some thing. I just take a break from it for a few days them get a new perspective and keep slugging away till you figure it out.

I also keep reminding myself how much fun it is when its right.Makes it all worthwhile everytime I take it out to burn up the streets!

Get a multimeter dude only about $20

My Haynes says check all conections between ignition switch,kill switch, ICU, coils, plugs, Pick up coils.
Check batt voltage. Plug caps..check for connection/cracks. Check ICU, check coils (need multimeter) Check for Ignition or kill switch shorts

My first guess with out having a schematic here would be the stop circut.Dirty switch contact?I'll look in the book after I get home from work.

Don't get dicouraged too easily.If you only knew what all I have been through with my bike.I have never worked on something so much or had so many problems with some thing. I just take a break from it for a few days them get a new perspective and keep slugging away till you figure it out.

I also keep reminding myself how much fun it is when its right.Makes it all worthwhile everytime I take it out to burn up the streets!

My first thought was kill switch also, so I ran out to my bike and tested it. With the kill switch on, the starter doesn't crank, so I do not believe that is the issue. However since your plugs are not wet, that means it is not just a spark issue. I'd check all the fuses first. There has to be a common fuse for the starting circuit.

shawn....what do you mean by the stop circuit???
I havent been checking things over yet today......was doing what you said....back away for a couple days......BTW.....I bought a digital multi meter too.

Latest posts

Back