Deck sealer advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've spent the last two days pressure washing my deck back to a new, pretty state.
Its pressure treated lumber, about 6 years old.

Other than Thompson's Water Seal, which come to my mind only because they are well known, does anyone have recommendations on a good sealer?

I realize its a maintenance thing and not a one time thing just wondering about what might last the longest?

Gulf Coast, about 50" rain a year, high humidity and high temps.

I'm not going to paint it.....

Depends do you want a stain or sealer? Cabot makes great products I use them for staining decks and sealing think its the best but kinda pricey. Sikkens is another real good product as far as lasting they all last a few years regular maintance touch ups help a lot. The big thing is dont skimp on prep work like paint it needs to be clean and dry. Good luck

It's got a nice natural look right now. (My ears are ringing and I'm soaking wet as well, pressure washing is fun for about 5 minutes!)

I wanna keep the natural finish, maybe a slight stain to give the darker tone as if it was wet.

So a stain/sealer combo I guess is ideal.

Like I say, I do not want to paint it if I do not have to.

Ok, I understand now. Some stains are called stains but it says they cover and hide the natural wood grain, making them "paints" in my mind.

Looks like there are clears, tinteds, semi transparent and then the "full hide stuff"

Thompson's is about half the cost of everyone else, guess that probably correlates with life span ?

Lowes also has Cabot and Olympic, I think its going to be one of those I try.

Thanks guys!

my father in law just did the rustoleum deck restore, its more of a coating, kind of makes it feel like composite, from what i understand. anyways, its only been a few months but he loves it and raved about it.

Latest posts

Back