difference between constant rate and progressive springs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smackdown

Reaction score
hello,

can't make up my mind between constant rate or progressive rate front springs.

I want a smoother ride and less dive on braking.

I plan to use 15 wt oil and Racetech emulators.

any comments, advice, rants on this topic appreciated.

thanks,
Smackdown

If you use racetech emulators then I would use their springs as well. They are NOT progressive. Just pick out the spring that'll work with your weight. Mine are 1.0 Kg/mm. You can order springs with custom rates...just enter your weight and it'll tell you want to get. Www.racetech.com.

If you use racetech emulators then I would use their springs as well. They are NOT progressive. Just pick out the spring that'll work with your weight. Mine are 1.0 Kg/mm. You can order springs with custom rates...just enter your weight and it'll tell you want to get. Www.racetech.com.
Dang it Mark, you took all the steam out of my rant. Next time leave something out so us rant-err's can have a go!:punk:
I have progressive springs lowered 2" and they work pretty well, although I'm thinking I should have tried the emulators.
... Once i get me some of that bank money Ima gonna aget me some of dem dar semulators, I R thinking maybe.:biglaugh:

Dang it Mark, you took all the steam out of my rant. Next time leave something out so us rant-err's can have a go!:punk:
I have progressive springs lowered 2" and they work pretty well, although I'm thinking I should have tried the emulators.
... Once i get me some of that bank money Ima gonna aget me some of dem dar semulators, I R thinking maybe.:biglaugh:

:th_bfxbfxvfxv: USD front end!!!!!

I equate the difference like this.
Progressives are good, way better than air assisted stock.
Racetec springs are good too.
But the difference between the two...
Progressives are a one size fits all, where as Racetecs are specific set up for you.
If you already took the plunge on emulators, which are the expensive part of the upgrade, than you might as well stick with the customized setup and go with the Racetec springs, they are the same price as the progressive springs.

Racetechs position is that the air in the forks provides plenty of progressive action, and changing your oil level hieigth can fine tune it, so there isn't any point in using progressives spring rates.

That doesn't mean there is any thing wrong in using them though.....

Go with emulators, you'll be glad you did....

Also, you may find 15 weight too thick/stiff when combined with aftermarket springs, but it also matters how much pre-load you put in,....it's a judgment call

Rusty

Latest posts

Back