Progressive spring length

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwrench

Reaction score
Just bought a set of used Progressive springs on E-bay. Cleaned 'em up nice & shiney & popped my old springs out. That's when I noticed the difference in size - the "new" progressives are the same diameter as the factory springs , but are only 15 inches long, whereas the factory springs are much wimpier looking, but they're 18 inches long. I put them in & went for a short ride - MUCH better ! No more bottoming out going around bumpy corners , but here's my concern - there's now almost a 3 inch gap between the top of the spacer & the screw on cap on the top of the fork. Does a Progressive spring require a longer spacer ? I didn't measure the spacer when it was out - I'm guessing about 8 or 10 inches. I can't imagine it should be that way, but it does ride much better. What say the experts ?:ummm:

Yes your new spacer length will be based on what is need for proper sag height. The spacer in there now is too short.

Just bought a set of used Progressive springs on E-bay. Cleaned 'em up nice & shiney & popped my old springs out. That's when I noticed the difference in size - the "new" progressives are the same diameter as the factory springs , but are only 15 inches long, whereas the factory springs are much wimpier looking, but they're 18 inches long. I put them in & went for a short ride - MUCH better ! No more bottoming out going around bumpy corners , but here's my concern - there's now almost a 3 inch gap between the top of the spacer & the screw on cap on the top of the fork. Does a Progressive spring require a longer spacer ? I didn't measure the spacer when it was out - I'm guessing about 8 or 10 inches. I can't imagine it should be that way, but it does ride much better. What say the experts ?:ummm:

Progressive springs will do wonders for rideability and handling. You can make new spacers out of thick walled (sch 40) pvc.

Nice link - Thanks !
It's really OK to use PVC as a spacer ? The price sure is right .

I just put a set of progressive springs in, pvc spacers came with the springs right from progressive. I trimmed them with a chop saw, both at the same time, got them exactly the same length. :biglaugh:

Yeah, I saw that. Was just surprised I guess. I never imagined plastic could hold up to the wear & tear & oil - but come to think of it all the compressed air lines in my shop are PVC & plenty old & have held 175psi for many years, so I guess fork spacers are not a challenge at all.

Back