difference between fork braces

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
hey all does anyone know the difference between 85-92 vs 93+ oem fork braces? They appear to be a different part number. I assume the mounting holes for the fender is the same but maybe just the difference between the width of the mounting holes for the forks themselves since there is less room between the forks?

is the center line of the forks vs each other and the stem the same throughout the years?

Here is my heresay answer.

C/L measurement from fork tube to fork tube should be the same on all years. Otherwise you would have issues swapping pre 85-92 wheels with 93-07 wheels. Rotor wouldn't line up and wheel spacers would need changed to achieve proper bearing preload, etc.

The center to center measurement of the fork tubes (fork tube spread) is 7.625" as far as I can tell. I'm not a machinist with precision instruments mind you but I have just recently verified that measurement to satisfy my own curiosity on my USD mission. This measurement is from my '06. I do not have any concrete figures from the pre '93 vmax to compare to this though.

C/L measurement from steering stem to fork tubes is the same from what I can tell. Spurs (I think it was him) gave me a measurement from his '85. I measured for myself from my '06 and they were the same. The number we both came up with was 1.9375". I've done a little research regarding rake, trail, wheelbase, ride height, etc.... and found all years vmax to be the same based on the info I found. If the c/l measurement changed it would make the trail measurement change as well. As far as I know, it is constant for all years.

As far as I know (which is just a hop, skip, and jump away) the old style fork brace has the mounting holes spread slightly further apart and a different radius cut to fit the fork tubes as they are a different diameter. I believe you and Danny already covered this though.

See this thread for some more info:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10945&page=3

I know on a 85 you can remove the brace and fender in tact. by slipping it twards the rear. but with the bigger forks you can't. and stock for stock. you can't use a 85 brace on the larger forks. (i found out the WTF way)

I know on a 85 you can remove the brace and fender in tact. by slipping it twards the rear. but with the bigger forks you can't. and stock for stock. you can't use a 85 brace on the larger forks. (i found out the WTF way)

I have removed the 99' brace and fender in tact...

I have removed the 99' brace and fender in tact...

I coudn't get my '95 out in one piece either recently. But I did put a 120 front tire on though........

Please tell me that you can use an old fender on the newer front end with newer brace.....PLEASE tell me that.........

I coudn't get my '95 out in one piece either recently. But I did put a 120 front tire on though........

Please tell me that you can use an old fender on the newer front end with newer brace.....PLEASE tell me that.........

i think u should be fine mike.

yes. you can use the old fender. but you need the fork brace that matches the forks.

i put a 97 front on my 85. i had to use the newer fork brace. fenders are all the same.

gotcha, since the fenders fit it just must be a difference in the width between forks, which should be 1mm on each side. i will measure mine, thanks guys!

The bolt spacing is different as is the cut out to clear the fork leg. Not even remotely interchangeable though the fender is the same. Fork spacing is the same but the extra thickness (and shape) of the newer fork legs is the biggest hurdle in getting the fender and brace off without removing the wheel (as noted it can be done easily with 85-92 forks).

Sean

so, the reason i'm asking is for a potential delrin lowering block for the fender. it sounds then if it was made to fit the late model fork brace it would easily fit the earlier years.

Should depending on the bushing diameter. Many have used spacers like that (maybe not delrin) and I have just never liked the look. This picture kind of shows the look:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Morleys-Muscle/282702488678?v=photos&ref=ts#!/photo.php?fbid=484538573678&set=a.406979443678.179896.282702488678&theater

This had the fork brace mounted under the triple and even bushed down. They got the clearance pretty close for sure.

Sean

sean i have the same thing on mine, with the delrin bushings and hate the look. On mine the fork brace is on TOP of the forks. It looks like maybe instead of making a spacer I could move the fork brace under and just use nuts and bolts, however that would really only gain me like 3/8" eh?

Back