Difficult to start, won't start hot, battery draining

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0lkien

Reaction score
I've got a weird set of intermittent issues with my Gen 1. It has a 1500 Tourmaster and flat side carbs fitted which may be contributing. However, the battery seems to drain significantly if I don't start it for a week or so. Is this normal?

On top of that, it has become difficult to start when cold (especially after a near zero degrees Celsius night). Previously it would become impossible to start when hot (close to but not red lining on the temp gauge after sitting in traffic etc.), and I had to leave it for a few minutes to cool before turning it over again.

Some of the problem may have been attributed to low battery charge, which I've since fixed by putting it on trickle charge when I'm not riding it constantly. But I was wondering if others had experienced similar things, and if it was in any way normal?

I haven't had anything like that...but I would say no...its not normal. I have an AGM battery in mine....sits for 2 weeks while I'm at work...and starts right up. Has started up on the choke at -1 C.

No, not normal, not even for your motor.
I've got a 13:1, 1540 and its starts easy.

Before over thinking the whole thing I would throw a new GOOD AGM battery in it (can't go wrong with Odyssey, mines lasted for 4 years now including a year and a half of NO charge) and then troubleshoot it from there.

If the battery is shot you can only get so far troubleshooting other problems.

Do you have and alarm or ancillary that uses a permanent feed?
This can pull a battery down particularly as it starts to age.

However, before junking the battery you may wish to check if there is a discharge within the system.

Disconnect the earth lead and with everything turned off connect a multi-meter between the earth post and the main earth point. You should get a zero reading.

If not you will need to establish what is causing the discharge.

If OK then the battery may be nearing the end of it's useful life (cam we assume it has a full compliment of electrolyte?) and needs replacing.

Mr. Midnight, am I correct in assuming you want the connection in-series for that metering, and not in-parallel?

Mine was difficult to start hot, then the battery was drained after not starting it for a while, so I would charge it, and it would be ok for a while. Then the draining became more frequent. Unhooked the battery, and it would be fine. Did the voltage test on it with a digital meter, left it hooked up for a few hours, and could see the slow drain. Ended up that my voltage regulator was the problem. Installed a regulator from an newer FZ6, mounted it behind the left scoop, and the bike starts with ease! Even when hot, and without any whoopdedo battery

I had similar issues years back with the hot start. Did an upgraded regulator, odyssey, crimp fix and eventually c o p's and never had an issue since. It's been maybe 6 years and no issues. I can even keep it covered with no charge over winter and it fires up in spring like I never stopped riding it. Just .02

Thank-you, Kind Sir, for the link, a simple explanation of the process which may help us. My Manchester Terrier thanks-you as-well. He kills vermin, just-as this link will help kill rogue electron drain.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• dog headshot.jpg
    dog headshot.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 8
Back