DIY Paint On The Cheap....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 773

Reaction score
Is there anyway for me to repaint my tank and fenders myself without investing in all the "pro" equipment????

Spray paint seems SOOOOOOOOO ghetto, and the surfaces are blemish free, but I can't afford to "have it done"...

I'm trying to freshen the stock Maroon color (faded) and match the front fender (off an '85), which is more purple, to the rest of the bike.

I think I know the answer, but thought I'd see if there was anything out there to offer an acceptable finish "off the shelf"...

Does any of that even make sense?!?!?

Is there anyway for me to repaint my tank and fenders myself without investing in all the "pro" equipment????

Spray paint seems SOOOOOOOOO ghetto, and the surfaces are blemish free, but I can't afford to "have it done"...

I'm trying to freshen the stock Maroon color (faded) and match the front fender (off an '85), which is more purple, to the rest of the bike.

I think I know the answer, but thought I'd see if there was anything out there to offer an acceptable finish "off the shelf"...

Many paintshops are able to mix then put simple automotive paint (not the metalflake or other additives) in spray cans for you.

The only catch is you have about 3 days to use it.

Is $300 too much? I changed mine from red to black by buying new fenders and tank cover in 98 black right from Yamaha.You can't paint them for that for real.

Many paintshops are able to mix then put simple automotive paint (not the metalflake or other additives) in spray cans for you.

The only catch is you have about 3 days to use it.

Many of them also carry disposable paint guns. It's quite literally a glass jar with ounce markings (for mixing the paint and thinner) that has a screw on air can with a nozzle on it. I've seen guys do amazing work with those things. In fact, a buddy of mine redid his old Bell helmet in metallic silver and it looks stunning.

Regards,
Tom

Diggin' up an old thread.

I am likely going to attempt a home job on mine. I will be using spray cans. Although I was hoping to do some red racing stripes.

Or viper blue with white stripes.
________
silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:
We have used a Wagner power painter on race cars....

Turned out OK.....better than a spray bomb.....not a pro job....but OK

Maybe some people who have had a pro job done - from exotic to flat black could pipe in and tell us how much it cost them?
________
Ford EXP

Last edited:
Maybe some people who have had a pro job done - from exotic to flat black could pipe in and tell us how much it cost them?

A custom job could range from a couple hunderd on up depending on what you want.

Is $300 too much? I changed mine from red to black by buying new fenders and tank cover in 98 black right from Yamaha.You can't paint them for that for real.

You might be surprised for what I can do for not much more than this.

I sprayed mine myself, bought the spraycans in a local DIY shop and set to work!

primer, sand it down, more primer, more fine sanding
base coat, let it dry, fine sanding, another coat, sand again
mask it off, next color, sanding, another layer
Then clear coat... a few times
and finish it off with super-fine sanding with some T-Cut

Basically lots of masking & wet sanding

Attachments

• Dsc00263.jpg
    Dsc00263.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Dsc00269.jpg
    Dsc00269.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Dsc00271.jpg
    Dsc00271.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Dsc00317.jpg
    Dsc00317.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 48
I sprayed mine myself, bought the spraycans in a local DIY shop and set to work!

primer, sand it down, more primer, more fine sanding
base coat, let it dry, fine sanding, another coat, sand again
mask it off, next color, sanding, another layer
Then clear coat... a few times
and finish it off with super-fine sanding with some T-Cut

Basically lots of masking & wet sanding

thats all just rattle can?

You can get a very good finish with a spray can product.

1) Buy a good brand quality paint
2) Prepare your surfaces well
3) Take your time. Thin coats, allow to dry and then light sand.
4) Repeat step 3 until you are happy with the surface.
5) When dry, you cut, buff and polish.

I've sprayed a few bikes with spray can product and ended up with a factory finish.

I once spent hours painting an XS11 tank with rattle cans. Went through all the steps, priming, sanding, base, clear, etc. Was air drying it with a box fan and the box fan tipped over onto the tank... :bang head: Stripped it down and started over. This time the fuel cap vented - there went my glossy paint job for the second time... :bang head:

I then moved onto better paint and got a real nice paint job using House of Kolor http://www.houseofkolor.com/ black base and clear and gas won't touch it. Mirror finish with a clear coat.

Last time I painted (most recently), (including repainting my Max) I used http://www.paintforcars.com/ . Base + clear was not very expensive and the paint is pretty good. Gas won't touch it, either.

The only investment I have in painting besides paint itself is a craftsman air compressor (barely big enough CFM to paint a gas tank, etc. - small jobs) and a Harbor Freight paint gun. If you look around, you can get your paint, air compressor, and paint gun for not a lot more than you would probably end up paying someone to paint your Max one time.

After using even a cheap compressor, paint gun, and paint, I won't go back to rattle cans. The rattle cans just don't have enough air pressure, flow out, and nozzle control.

I'd scour eBay and Harbor Freight for some smokin' deals on a compressor, paint gun, paint mask, etc. If you paint your Max with rattle cans or some other cheaper method and end up not liking the result - or if you find out that gas will eat your acrylic enamel paint job - you'll have to strip it all down and start over to fix it in the long run. There aren't a lot of things I think that are worse than having to carefully sand down 4 layers of crappy paint off of a Max body set....

Okay... changing the valve cover gaskets sucks... or polishing the air scoops by hand.... or......

hmmm, I just might give it a try...

I have a small air compressor. I should get a paint attachment and maybe do it that way.

I have used spray bombs in the past...
The only thing I messed up was my first clear coat - it got all cloudy on me - ruining a great custom job.

I have always feared the clear coat from that point on.
________
BMW M43

Last edited:
hmmm, I just might give it a try...

I have a small air compressor. I should get a paint attachment and maybe do it that way.

The only thing I messed up was my first clear coat - it got all cloudy on me - ruining a great custom job.

A couple things to watch out for if you do it yourself. Get a good inline filter for your gun. Most compressors will have water in the tank and line. Get quality paint. Most rattle can paint will not take gas spills. 2-part catalyst type paints will.

The best rattlecan paint available for bikes is Dupli-color. Comes in most factory auto paint colors and goes on and looks much better than the average Wal-mart Krylon. I bought some to paint my new side covers to get a feel for what color of powdercoating would look best and I was very impressed with how it went on and looked. Prep is the key though. Bad prep will make the best paint job look bad regardless of what you use to paint it. If doing it yourself stay away from the darker, glossier colors as they will show the most imperfections. The good thing about the Max is that there is not a lot to paint!

Ok Guys,

Here is my weekend experiment with an extra front fender I had waiting to be painted...

Paint is Duplicolor Mirage (Purple/Green) and comes in a 3 part kit for $20.

It has taken me 48 hours to get to this point. Lots of prep and sanding of the fender followed by 3 coats of base, 6 coats of color, and 4 coats of clear.

I plan on letting this dry for another 48 hours before rubbing it down and applying a final coat (or 2) of a catalyzed clear coat.

The effect in sunlight is stunning, I think. :eusa_dance: The advertised color change is absolutely true.

Thinking I will tackle the faux tank and rear fender while this fender dries...

What do you all think of the fender?

Attachments

• fender1.jpg
    fender1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 29
  • fender2.jpg
    fender2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 23
  • fender3.jpg
    fender3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 25
  • fender4.jpg
    fender4.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 28

I understand that high humidity will cause this as well... Not usually a problem here in Utah. :rofl_200:

Ok Guys,

Here is my weekend experiment with an extra front fender I had waiting to be painted...

Paint is Duplicolor Mirage (Purple/Green) and comes in a 3 part kit for $20.

It has taken me 48 hours to get to this point. Lots of prep and sanding of the fender followed by 3 coats of base, 6 coats of color, and 4 coats of clear.

I plan on letting this dry for another 48 hours before rubbing it down and applying a final coat (or 2) of a catalyzed clear coat.

The effect in sunlight is stunning, I think. :eusa_dance: The advertised color change is absolutely true.

Thinking I will tackle the faux tank and rear fender while this fender dries...

What do you all think of the fender?

That looks GOOD!!!:eusa_dance:

Back