do not call list

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kratzenberg

Reaction score
Cell phone numbers go public this month...

all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls

To prevent this call: 888-382-1222
this is the national do not call list it will only take a minute of your time.
It blocks your phone number for 5 years.
you must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked

I'm registered on the donotcall site, and they STILL call. I guess you have to report them when they call, but half the time their number comes up "blocked". I just hang up on em!

In general telemarketers business practices are questionable at best, and they often obtain lists of numbers from various "information service" companies....people that make a living either scouring the internet for personal data (facebook, blogs, personal websites, even forums), or operating ruses, like promising a chance to win some prize if you enter a form of personal data to "enter". These lists then of phone numbers, addresses and the like are sold off to people who want to sell you something. Junk mail, telemarketing calls, ect. Often e-tailers of dubious intentions will store personal data entered when making purchases.....address, phone, name, and later sell these batches of data off for a quick extra buck at your expense. Why doing business with shady looking or unknown websites is risky.

The do-not-call list is little more than a veil of security. It in no way "protects" you from anything. It's a list of people that stated they do not want to receive commercial phone calls. Companies that operate with a telemarketing division are supposed to be tied into this list and check every number they might call against it. That's a lot of work and few if any bother to do it....what's going to happen if they do? Nothing. You can call and report so-and-so number called you. The FTC doesn't give a shit. They've got better things to do than worry that some fly by night salesman interrupted your dinner for 10 seconds before you hung up on them.

Nobody really telemarkets anymore....it's a dead practice, nobody trusts it. Kind of like how the days the of the travelling, cold-call salesman are done also....it's so rare to get someone even interested that it's just not worth the time, it doesn't pay off in sales.

As soon as I hear the pitch begin I interrupt them to ask, "did you check the 'do not call' list before placing this cold call?" of course they say no & then I tell them to remove my name from their rotation, tell them I have their number now & hang up. If they are obnoxious then write their number on a public bathroom wall in the stall....

I do not answer 'blocked number' calls. Anyone who legitimately needs to reach me knows how to w/o that issue.

Back