Driveability of a GenII Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tully_mars

Reaction score
Ok, I have got to ask this question because I am hearing so many different things on this new bike. When I first got back into bikes 2 years ago I almost put money down on a new Max. I had always wanted one and with the bike coming back thought it was destiny.

However, 190hp pretty much scared me out of the dealership. I am not afraid of a fast bike, and I used to ride my old bikes hard in my very younger days. But I wondered how much I would have to focus on just keeping the rear tire from breaking loose. Last thing I wanted to do was be in a corner and when coming out of it the back end get all squirrelly on me.

So, I have an 06 Max now and it is great. Love the comments more than the power, ride is pretty good. Guys at my dealership say that the new Max just eats up tires and will break loose with just a light twist of the throttle. They say the front wheel will never come off the ground because the back tire will just be smoking or melting away.

So what is the real story? Can you nail this thing from a stoplight and actually go forward vs. fish tail away? Or do you have to focus while riding on not giving it too much gas so you can keep it on the road.

Thanks,
TM

I took a demo ride on one and it has plenty of traction. We were kept in a pretty tight formation but I was able to gap it a couple of times about 8-10 bike lengths and while in 3rd gear I hammered it at ~45 mph: no wheel spin, no wheelie just flat out head spinning acceleration! I had to hit the brakes almost as soon as I hit the gas. The power hit hard, waaay more than my '92! It felt really good though, and I'd have one if I could afford one, that's for sure!

It's never lost traction when I didn't expect it or want it. I take turns a little easy because of it's design, but it doesn't sneak up on me.

i can't understand why would a 200 section radial tyre fitted to a new max have less grip than a biasply 150 fitted to a 1st gen?
my 89 makes 133 euro hp on the back wheel and with a 17/6" and 190 section tyre it's really difficult to break traction. it's possible, but very hard. so i imagine it'd be easier with 200crank-hp, but then the 2nd gen's chassis and manners must be muchly improved.
also on the wheelies. any bike can wheelie, it's just the riding technique. i remember getting an 07 fz1 after selling an 01 fz1 and i tell you that new bike really didn't want to wheelie at all. 2 weeks after i adjuted, it was doing some crazy 80mph 3rd gear wheelies. so as i say, it's not the bike, it's the way you ride it.

I haven't ridden one yet. The closest things I have to relate to what it may be like are my Gen I, an XJ-1100 and a turbo XS-11. The turbo's the fastest thing I've ever experienced as far as a bike.

I've talked to several Gen II owners that have replaced rear tires every 2 to 3 thousand miles. It's gotta be a rocket. nobody mentioned much trouble with wheelies, just blinding acceleration. One said it makes the Gen I seem like a golf cart.

It's never lost traction when I didn't expect it or want it. I take turns a little easy because of it's design, but it doesn't sneak up on me.

+1. The thing's a pussycat to ride if you don't beat on it. Some guys get 1k out of a rear tire, some get nearly 10k...it's all up to your right wrist and your wallet. :biglaugh: Absolutely nothing to be scared about when it comes to drivability, though. Nada. Zip.

The only thing I would think twice about is if you've got a sub-30" inseam. Might want to budget for a Corbin seat or other method of lowering the bike a bit. It's heavy, and flat-footed is good.

+1. The thing's a pussycat to ride if you don't beat on it. Some guys get 1k out of a rear tire, some get nearly 10k...it's all up to your right wrist and your wallet. :biglaugh: Absolutely nothing to be scared about when it comes to drivability, though. Nada. Zip.

The only thing I would think twice about is if you've got a sub-30" inseam. Might want to budget for a Corbin seat or other method of lowering the bike a bit. It's heavy, and flat-footed is good.

Yes, I'm 5'8" and my biggest handling problem is PITA pushing around with toes. I have trouble getting it out of a wheel chock in the garage.

Very docile if need be, I actually feel WAY safer on my 2010 than I do on my 2007 Max. Handles night and day better, brakes are night and day better. Not wheelie happy at all, just like the first gen. Just nail it and go... most of the time..... around 3k in first, if you nail it it will spin fairly easily, but not problem to manage. Best bike I have every ridden or owned by a long shot. I have ridden over 3500 miles in 3 months and I still look forward to my daily commute with it. zero regrets. Don't even mind paying for it every month!

1st, 190 horse is around 163 to 175 stock. Mine's 171. The two things I respect especially is opening the throttle too quickly turning sharp corners and too much throttle at once with the asphalt barely sprinkled on, dewy, to wet. In either one of those scenarios, the rear can shoot right out from under me, no prob. I can be doing 25 or so on dry surfaces in 1st, when nailing it, the rear will break loose. Have had it turn loose in the 1st three running through the gears, no popping the clutch.

The bike is super easy to ride, and is just a great all around motorcycle with huge amounts of torque & power. It inspires confidence, especially on long sweeping turns. Not to worry about losing it around a curve just because the back end kicks out a little. I got addicted to that for awhile and went looking for the right curves. From there I progressed to kicking the rear out in a curve and then having it hook up and carry the front wheel while crossed up.. NOW That's a BLAST! :)

10 years of planning and a LOT of technology went into this bike. It's only downfall is the weight at very slow speeds. You're more ap to drop it then, rather than at speeds.

The bike is super easy to ride, and is just a great all around motorcycle with huge amounts of torque & power. It inspires confidense, especially on long sweeping turns. Not to worry about losing it around a curve just because the back end kicks out a little. I got addicted to that for awhile and went looking for the right curves. From there I progressed to kicking the rear out in a curve and then having it hook up and carry the front wheel while crossed up.. NOW That's a BLAST! :)

10 uears of planning and a LOT of technology went into this bike. It's only downfall is the weight at very slow speeds. You're more ap to drop it then, rather than at speeds.

Interesting perspective. I am not quite that aggressive of a rider. It does sound like the power is very controllable which is great. I can see one of these in my future. Just got the 1st Gen VMax so can't rush to fast out and get another one. Got to get this one out of my system and maybe find a good used Gen II one day.

This is my first post here but on my second Vmax. The GenII is a blast to ride. Yesterday I lost traction in 3rd going around a corner hitting the throttle quite hard. No problem in controling the bike or maybe I was just lucky. I've been riding for 42 years and IMHO the Vmax can be almost anything you want it to be. A pussy cat or a roaring tiger - it's all in the wrist. My other bike is a 2007 BMW R1200GSA which I use for work and am already passing the 90,000 mile mark. The GSA will take care of you in the curves but I find myself taking care of the GenII in the same situation. The GenII can hit the twisties hard but it's a real chore by comparison.

By the way, I blew away (on a straight away) a 2010 Multistrada and not even passing the 7000 rpm mark in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and going into 4th. We ran out of road after that. The torque is unbelievable. And trust me, the owner of the Ducati is a much better rider than I am.

Welcome OT10_279. I see you're into the old Dodges. Had a '66 pu with a BB 318. Tuff truck. I'd like to have a pu like off the 1st Tremors movie or a decent mil M880, the one with no p/s.

Very docile if need be, I actually feel WAY safer on my 2010 than I do on my 2007 Max. Handles night and day better, brakes are night and day better. Not wheelie happy at all, just like the first gen. Just nail it and go... most of the time..... around 3k in first, if you nail it it will spin fairly easily, but not problem to manage. Best bike I have every ridden or owned by a long shot. I have ridden over 3500 miles in 3 months and I still look forward to my daily commute with it. zero regrets. Don't even mind paying for it every month!

One of the bennies of my spring/summer diet (shedding over 70 lbs.) is the ease of delivering smiles when breaking the back tire loose...even with a stock Gen2.

Wow! Congrats Jayhawk.. I'm into the diet thing over a mo. already & only down 14lbs.. :(

Wow, 14 pounds in a month or so is real dedication. Keep up the good work! I'm down to the last 10 pounds or so, and they're fighting me, man.

Isnt it Like every 20 pounds you lose you gain so much horsepower? Heck losing that much weight is like switchin out stock exhaust for a lighter one. You guys are saving money in performance parts by losing weight! haha.

Back