driveline noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttrain

Reaction score
good evening folks. here's what i have going on. on my recently purchased 89 vmax i have a roughness in what seems to be clutch/tranny or driveline? tranny shifts fine, all gears work as they should. if i spin wheel i can hear and feel it. spinning on center stand in neutral. when running through the gears on stand noise and vibration get much better with clutch pulled in. im hoping its a clutch. already changed all fluids. did not help. no noise in neutral. just did it again and seems to be noisiest and rear diff area? thanks for your help:ummm:

Could you describe the noise? A clunking, Wine, grinding... Where is the noise coming from?

It could be a clutch issue, worn u-joint, Bad bearings, need of a fluid change in the rear diff, misaligned swingarm, or a few other things, depending on what the noise is and where the noise is located.

If it's a whining noise under accel or decel, Could be the nut on the drive shaft side of the differential has worked loose.. Just a thought at this point..

This?????

If you're sitting, idling in neutral with the clutch lever out, there will be some noise. If that's what your hearing, Every VMax does the same... Pull the clutch in and it gets quieter...
That is normal...:confused2:

ok, so i switched rear wheels. no change. i pulled wheel back off and went through gears w/ no rear wheel on and all seems ok? im thinking u-joint or the nut someone mentioned?. how hard is it to check that nut? thanks, mike

The nut is real easy to check. Pull the rear wheel. Pull the left shock. Remove the 4 bolts from the diff. The driveshaft will come out with the diff. Pull the driveshaft from the diff and look in the snout of the diff. There will be a sping between the shaft and diff, just sitting in there. Pull the sping and look in the diff, the nut is right there.

Hardest part about the whole process is putting the driveshaft back in the u-joint.

If you make it this far and don't find the problem you might as well remove the other shock and then remove the swingarm. Swingarm removal is simple by the time your this far. Just pop the two round, chrome covers off the frame and remove the two bolts from either side and it drops right out. Then, you will be able to inspect the u joint.

ok. so driveshaft out and there is no spring between shaft and nut? could this be causing my issue? thanks in advance

Not sure if the spring missing will be an issue but is the nut loose? It's common for the ends of the pinion (that the nut threads on) to break off and or have the nut loosen.

Sean

Back