Dumbass award???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
*Sigh* We've all gotta learn some things the hard way, right? Had a brilliant idea tonight - powdercoated master cylinders! Spent several hours blasting them down and coated them all up. I think they look pretty kickass:

IMG_7538.jpg

IMG_7536.jpg

Only one problem. They have little glass windows that aren't designed for 375 degre heat (of course):

IMG_7537.jpg

SUcks...

Any thoughts? Any chance that the windows are replaceable. I can't find em on the microfiche, but maybe from an old set? I don't even care about having the windows - any way that I could just plug the holes and keep it useable?

I DID think ahead enough to remove all the rubber; just didn't think about the window.

I'm thinking 2 things.

• Grind them out and get a tough expoxy some clear plexi discs in the place.
  • Grind them out and tap them then screw a SS plug in them.
To me seeing the fluid level isn't that big of deal Unless its the engine oil level.

As far as the clutch and brake master cyls, it isn't a big deal to pop the top.

I just went through this...The windows are plastic.
Call this guy and he will make you a new window out of polycarbonate to the exact size you need, plus installation instructions. One window is around $12.50
The size of the hole should be 18mm, you'll have to take a medium flat blade screwdriver and pop out the ring inside of the smaller one so they match. Or not, just measure and order accordingly.

http://tinyurl.com/ykzf39x

And now you can sleep tonight. No dumb ass award for you.:eusa_dance:

Mine is not see through and i've never had an issue really. If it's got a leak you'll know. if it's low you'll know. It's not too hard to pop the top off either. I say tap it if you can't find another set cheap.

I'm thinking 2 things.

• Grind them out and get a tough expoxy some clear plexi discs in the place.
  • Grind them out and tap them then screw a SS plug in them.
To me seeing the fluid level isn't that big of deal Unless its the engine oil level.

As far as the clutch and brake master cyls, it isn't a big deal to pop the top.
+1 but...

Fluid will melt plexi, thats what i've lerned while fabricating my own crankcase clear covers. Plexi is not oil resistsnt and brake fluid is kind of caustic.

Polycarbonate will be the right choice or glass.

I can machine some stainless plugs if you want.No tapping required, just push them in.
I'll do them for nothing, all for the Vmax brotherhood.
Let me know if you want them.

I think I may have access to new plugs very similar to OEM but need to check the size.

Sean

Well Dave, no one has mentioned it yet, but I think they look great powdercoated. :punk:The sight windows have been an issue for a while when people started getting the MC chromed. The sight window probably isn't that important and the suggestions above will all work... so no award for you! :biglaugh::cheers:

Dave, I don't see a dumbass award here at all.....that's a really cool idea and they are gonna look kick-ass for sure. :thumbs up:

Hell man, you should get an award with a positive slant to it, for thinking outside the brackets!! :clapping:

Haha - thanks for the feedback (nice one, Fargo ;) ). I feel much better now. New M/C's would have made this a PRICEY mistake. I'll check out cruzer's guy - if that doesn't work out I'll be sending Jedi a PM. Thanks so much for the offer, Jedi.

And thanks for the compliments. The blue matches my SS galfer lines and also my newly PC'd Busa calipers. I'll get some pics up when she's back together.

+1 but...

Fluid will melt plexi, thats what i've lerned while fabricating my own crankcase clear covers. Plexi is not oil resistsnt and brake fluid is kind of caustic.

Polycarbonate will be the right choice or glass.

Thats just my semantics, I call everything plexi. Polycarb, lexan... etc.
My mistake.

If they are correct (I will have to order in a few to check) the sight glass will run about $10 each plus shipping.

Sean

The local yamaha shop had some mstr cylinders sent out for chrome this yearand they told me that the used yz 80 site glass, not sure what yr.jim 3933

I can machine some stainless plugs if you want.No tapping required, just push them in.
I'll do them for nothing, all for the Vmax brotherhood.
Let me know if you want them.

If you didn't already have a nice guy award......:worthy:

oh and for what it's worth, i wouldn't have thought about the glass being a problem either if i was powdercoating.

I did check with my supplier and the glass we have available is:

"two different sizes, a 16.03mm and a 16.71mm diameter glass. They are designed to be a pretty tight fit within the bore hole in the m/c body, and they are at least 2mm thick"

So, if you can get a mic and check it that would help everyone.

Sean

One is 18mm the other a little smaller due to a metal ring inside the hole for some reason. If you pop out the ring they both match at 18mm.

Ok, sounds like what I have initally won't work. I'll keep checking and see if I get lucky for us. I would like to chrome a few masters at some point too.

Sean

Back