Engine Break in period

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
What is the best method of breaking the new engine in? for the first 200 miles I have been varying the rpm's from 4-9k on acceleration and cruising at around 4k. Not too much red line yet.

I knew I wasn't going to get great gas mileage but the fuel light is going on after only 69 miles! I put 3 gallons of fuel in so that is only 23mpg! Any chance this pig is going to get better mileage after the engine breaks in?

Good question, I'm right there with you, my 2015 has 120 miles on it so far. I have also been staying below 7K RPM's, but I've heard 2 separate trains of thought. Some say ride it like you stole it, will break in the rings better, others (and the service manual) state to take is easy. I'm of the opinion that somewhere right in the middle is probably about right, so not going WOT, but not babying it either. Once I hit 600 miles I'll change the oil and then get ready to hit warp speed and start practicing my wheelies! :punk:

I've had my low fuel warning light pop on at only 66 miles, and usually it happens right around 72-75 miles. But those are times when we've been busting curves for all we're worth and accelerating to triple digits when possible in between curves. I recently mounted a 3gal AUX tank inside a tail bag on my back seat. It looks like SH!T FUGLY(IMO), but it sure takes the anxiety out of figuring where the next gas station might be, or not be. My wife has a 1.8gal AUX in a tail bag on hers.

There's a couple options out there for aftermarket larger fuel tanks that replace the OEM - adding over 2 gallons, but they both run well in excess of $1200 USD!!

Rob, a TX rider, has got an ECU flash from someone other than Tim Nash, (can't remember the company-might be UFO's version of pipe/ecu flash combo) that emphasizes lean & better fuel economy. Rob can go nearly 95 miles or so before his low warning light pops on. But I would have to say that Rob is one of the more 'conservative' of the TX hooligans that I've shared wind with. Tim Nash's flash is high on HP, but admittedly set up favoring the rich side, so as people don't go out and burn holes in pistons using his flash. Some people with the Nash flash go ahead and retain a PCV to have tuned locally so as to maximize the air/fuel mixture for their exact riding conditions and/or to lean out the a/f for better economy.

I'm at 450 miles on my 2015. I've kept it below 6k RPM. I do crack the throttle and probably hit 7k once :)

Even after the 600 mile fluid change they recommend staying out of it until 1000 miles. Then we hit the 1/8 mile track to practice launches!

I'm getting about 75 miles per tank. Yep - that shocked me the first few times I filled up. I even tried driving it "nice" for a tank, made no real difference - he's thursty! (and hungry for tires from what I understand)

Just added the factory option plate to the tail so I can strap on a 2 gallon gas can. Then I might feel safe driving it to Des Moines (130 miles from my house). :-0

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking too when I added the factory rack, but I'll be honest, I'm ready for a stop after 75-100 miles anyway, and I've never had a bike that got more than 130 or so miles out of a tank, so it's not taking a lot of getting used to. Price you pay to have the baddest muscle bike ever built, well worth it!!!! :punk:

I live in the greater Chicagoland area so gas stations are never a problem but something to consider if I ever think about taking a trip outside the state. I suppose I'll break it in like the Gen 1. I got 35,000 trouble free miles out of that one by varying the rpms for the first 1000 miles.

I ran my 85 easy for the first 2000 miles, changed oil every 500 during that period. The bikes got over 133,000 miles on the clock now, and has never been apart farther than a clutch, and a couple stators.

Resist the urge to beat on a new motor.. It will last longer.

I've got almost 800 on my 18. Farthest I got before fuel light was about 86 miles. All stock, I run it up around 7k, and back it down and cruise between 3500 and 5000. I'm always going up and down book says not to cruise at a steady speed. It seems to gain hp as it breaks in. When I first got it with 5 Miles (dealer test drive) it didn't seem any faster than gen 1, but now with some miles........ Seriously hang on lol. I read on the star vmax forum after about 2,000 miles it gets better. Suspension finally sets, engine is broke in for the most part. All this rainy weather in the south east sucks..... Been raining the entire month of may so far. And when it isn't raining you don't dare go out, god doesn't even know when it's gonna rain. This Raven matte black is a total beeotch to keep clean grrrr, but she does look good lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_183945117.jpg
    IMG_20180413_183945117.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 24
I ran my 85 easy for the first 2000 miles, changed oil every 500 during that period. The bikes got over 133,000 miles on the clock now, and has never been apart farther than a clutch, and a couple stators.

Resist the urge to beat on a new motor.. It will last longer.

+1 Can't argue with that.

IMO the pistons, rings and valve train will be fine with any break-in procedure (like breaking in a car engine on a dyno) but there a lot of other parts on the engine and bike like the trans, clutch and rear drive that have got to get to know one another, and have there surfaces mate. Thrashing the bike is not the optimal way to make that happen.

It's all a matter of personal opinion. But I've had longevity by following advice closely to that of Supercharger. For me, I want to get rid of the break-in oil & filter very soon. Lots of contaminants are present after early break-in. The short full power burst was used on all of my rebuilds after changing the oil to what I would use normally.

It would be interesting to track engine longevity on motors broken in by both methods.

Who knows what they do at the factory?? They have to run them. My father in law bought a brand gt500 when they brought them back in 2007, the computer was locked at 4,000 rpm until after the first 500 miles. That's all he talked about was seeing what it had after 500 miles when the computer unlocked the Rev limiter so he could see the full 6,500 rpm.....I had it up to 90 in 2nd gear at 6,000rpm and backed off. The whine of the supercharger is heaven...... Any ways I got sidetracked, lol. They have to run these engines at the factory right??

I know the gen 2 engines are basically ready to go out of the crate (including oil). Not much ring break in required either since it's the ceramic (nicasil) lined bores.

I know the gen 2 engines are basically ready to go out of the crate (including oil). Not much ring break in required either since it's the ceramic (nicasil) lined bores.

Cool, so basically all I'm doing is breaking in the drivetrain, and suspension, brakes and other components.

Back