engine tick

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the cheapie harmonic balancer puller from O'Reilly's and then got hardened 8mm bolts from Menards. Metric bolts aren't grade 8, they're like a 10.9 or something for the "hardened" bolt. Got a few washers to keep from pulling through the puller, a pry bar to wedge between the bolts and the ground to keep the bike from turning over, and a big long ratchet or breaker bar and she came off!

I have never had to replace any of the smaller gears or pins. I have a box full from parted engines if anyone needs one (probably in the realm of 50+ gears/pins). You will want to check your clutch before you buy the parts. It may only need the 3 bolts replaced. Check around the area of the bolts and look for cracks. Usually they are cracked only when it makes the bad sounds when starting. If it is only rattling when running you may simple have loose bolts.

You can get an idea without pulling the flywheel. Simply get the stator cover off (remove the middle gear cover first), then use your finger and "feel" the ends of the bolts and see if they wiggle around any.

Sean

my 93 today started ticking on the "passenger" side front cylinder, and it seems when you rev it in nuetral and let off, you hear it mostley on rev down. Really reminds me of alot of my old big bor e 500 and 600 dirt bikes when cam chain needed tightened,.....any ideas? Not a knock, but atick, and definately top end noise.

when was the last valve adjustment?

:hijacked::biglaugh::biglaugh:

What's the deal with valves adjustment on the max? Is that a trip to the stealers, or can it be done at home? What do you need to get to do it, how often is it due, and should I be looking at doing it since I have 39k miles and no service history?

:)

I would. It's due every 26,000 miles. Most of the time is taking shit off and then putting it back together. Find a good source of shims too. I have a local shop that trades straight up.

THE MANUAL SAY'S IT SHOULD BE DONE AT 26,000 MILES . MINE STARTED TICKING BEFORE ITS FIRST SERVICE , SWORE IT WAS A VALVE . THE STEALER TOOK IT APART & CHECKED THE VALVES , ( AND THEY DID , BECAUSE I USED A MARKER & MARKED SOME OF THE BOLTS & YOU COULD TELL BUY WHERE THE GREASY FINGER PRINTS WERE LOCATED ) AND THEY SAID EVERYTHING WAS WITHIN SPECS. I SAID THEN WHAT IS IT ? IT DID'NT DO IT WHEN IT WAS KNEW , & IT WAS LOUD ! THE GUY WHO I BOUGHT ALL OF MY BIKES FROM , EVEN ALL OF MY DIRT BIKES FROM , SAID " MAYBE IT'LL GO AWAY " I SAID HOW ? HE SAID SOMETIMES THEY JUST DO . & WITHIN ANOTHER 500 MILES THE NOISE WAS TOTALLY GONE , & STILL IS & NOW HAS 4,200 MILES ON IT ! AND IF IT WER'NT MY BIKE & MY OWN EARS , I WOULD'NT OF BELIEVED IT !:confused2::ummm:

Last edited:
Hey guys, my problem aint valves, it's something else. Not lower end, all on the top.

The valves are on the top end? Maybe use a screwdriver to isolate where the sound is coming from.

No bs, yesterday no tickin, today, tickin. No over-revs or low oil. Just kinda wierd because out of gear on a rev, no ticking tell it's idling down.

Back