engine tick

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebnco

Reaction score
Help!!!!?? I have a 01 v max with 10800 miles on it. I bought it 3 years ago with 9600 miles on it. When I bought it, it had a tick on the right side, atleast sounds like. Well i had read about the bad oil oring that goes bad, blows out the side. So I dropped the pan, and got the good o ring, but mine haddent bulged out. And I ride my v max the way it is suppose to be riden, so if it was something bad it would have gone by now. A friend of mine, who has a 01 v max also, thought it might be the ring at the front of the clutch assy. he took it apart clutch, it was all good, he took it all apart and everything looked great. So then he thought it might be one of the timing chain tentioners. he said they were all good and everything was nice and tight. Could it be the lifters need adjusted, but the bike has always had excellent performance, and i have rode the bike kinda hard, like there meant to be, the muscle car of bikes. But I still have the ticking. Help me. Thanks Eric

I doubt its the lifters since the VMAX is an overhead cam engine (no lifters).
Did the bike have the service done. Does the ticking get louder as the engine temps raises? Does the tick go away when the clutch is engadged? What weight oil are you using?

The tick never gets louder or softer at any temp. Stays the same. And also stays the same when the clutch is engaged. I am using 10w30 moble 1 synth. As has been used since new.

I would take a stethoscope or screwdriver to try and isolate the sound.

I would take a stethoscope or screwdriver to try and isolate the sound.
I have done the screwdiver. And it seems to have it from the top to the bottom. Havent tried a stethoscope though. It sounds like a lifter noise on a car. But has no effects on performance, I figured if it was something bad it would have blown by now. It had it when i got it 3 years ago, and will still smoke the tire for a block. Plus. do they have rocker arms? Or such? All that has been done to it is k&n filter and jardine slip ons. I can smoke my buddys cbr 900rr and he does 11's high 10s. Dont get me wrong I take care of it. Its my baby. but I would like to figure this out. Thanks Eric

Help!!!!?? I have a 01 v max with 10800 miles on it. I bought it 3 years ago with 9600 miles on it. When I bought it, it had a tick on the right side, atleast sounds like. Well i had read about the bad oil oring that goes bad, blows out the side. So I dropped the pan, and got the good o ring, but mine haddent bulged out. And I ride my v max the way it is suppose to be riden, so if it was something bad it would have gone by now. A friend of mine, who has a 01 v max also, thought it might be the ring at the front of the clutch assy. he took it apart clutch, it was all good, he took it all apart and everything looked great. So then he thought it might be one of the timing chain tentioners. he said they were all good and everything was nice and tight. Could it be the lifters need adjusted, but the bike has always had excellent performance, and i have rode the bike kinda hard, like there meant to be, the muscle car of bikes. But I still have the ticking. Help me. Thanks Eric
you put 1200 miles on the bike in three years ?

Isn't the valve lash supposed to be adjusted after a preset number of miles? It's possible you have one thats slightly looser than the others. :confused2:

we've had loose starter clutches make engine ticking noises. Be a simple place to check. I've probably seen 8-10 of them do that.

Sean

we've had loose starter clutches make engine ticking noises. Be a simple place to check. I've probably seen 8-10 of them do that.

Sean
Sean, Does it speed up with the engine, Like a lifter noise? A new starter or an easy fix. Never messed with a starter on a v max. Thanks Eric

yes, it can sounds very funny like a lifter tick, a rod bearing getting loose, or even a bad wrist pin. You have to pull the stator and middle gear cover so you need both those gaskets. Then pulling the flywheel is the hardest part. After that you can get a good view of the part at that point. They will get loose or even crack near the bolt holes.

Sean

The exhaust leak would sound like a ticking noise - mine did. I'd have a look at the valve clearances though. A loose valve won't necessarily be real loud, but it'd always be there. Also - a slightly loose valve won't hurt anything, either.

I have this bike now. I new to the problem, have looked at the previous posts. This tick is being caused by the Starter Clutches? It does sound like a lower end noise or valve noise. It is coming from the side of the engine on the right side. Below the V of the engine. Close to the water pump. Is this the normal location for the sound to originate from? Thank You for your help. The interesting thing is that the timing chains look good and the oil does not have metal in it. Also the noise has not changed tone or gotten louder in the time that I have been around the bike, 4 years.

I think I have the same problem... I'm hoping it is the starter clutch. I know the flywheel needs to be removed to get to it, but what other things will I need to fix this problem? The winter is coming, and I might as well start ordering parts now for those cold winter projects.

Jeff, you'll need part #6 and #7 for sure. Might as well replace the other gears and shaft too. (parts #1 - #5) Make sure you get the crankcase cover gasket.

Attachments

• starter_clutch.gif
    starter_clutch.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 35
I think I have the same problem... I'm hoping it is the starter clutch. I know the flywheel needs to be removed to get to it, but what other things will I need to fix this problem? The winter is coming, and I might as well start ordering parts now for those cold winter projects.

Lemme know when you do it Jeff, they're a breeze! I just did it on my old one last weekend. I just ordered the starter clutch (which was cracked) and the gaskets. The gears were fine on mine.

What's a good flywheel puller? Where's a good place to get grade 8 bolts?

Latest posts

Back