exessive drive- train play ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eyeballing it i would agree with sean your freeplay is about the same he is showing.

Thanks Sean, thanks forum members,..for all your imput. I just finished puting humpty dumpty back together again.:biglaugh: Now this is stranger than fiction..and I am telling the truth here.....I noticed 2 things right away......The clutch no longer comes out at the bitter end.....It works normaly and smoother. 1/2 way out ,it engages:biglaugh: ok...a freebee. Wasnt counting on that.
The bike still has the same travel in gear "4" inches, but the loud clunk is now a normal "thud" What gives? I am not complaining, this is wonderfull.
So, I'm on my way home and I see this 65 year old guy standing beside his brad new 125 ?honda enduro. I hollar...ya need help. " it just quit"he said. So I gave it a fast look over and noticed the absence of gas in his fuell filter. Open your tank, i said, not much in there.So I showed him how to switch it to the Reserve position. Varrooom,..big smile on the old guys face. He had just bought it and this was his first ride out. I convinced him to go home,..have a coffee..and READ his owners manual.:biglaugh: He shook my hand, and off he went.

Thanks Sean, thanks forum members,..for all your imput. I just finished puting humpty dumpty back together again.:biglaugh: Now this is stranger than fiction..and I am telling the truth here.....I noticed 2 things right away......The clutch no longer comes out at the bitter end.....It works normaly and smoother. 1/2 way out ,it engages:biglaugh: ok...a freebee. Wasnt counting on that.
The bike still has the same travel in gear "4" inches, but the loud clunk is now a normal "thud" What gives? I am not complaining, this is wonderfull.
So, I'm on my way home and I see this 65 year old guy standing beside his brad new 125 ?honda enduro. I hollar...ya need help. " it just quit"he said. So I gave it a fast look over and noticed the absence of gas in his fuell filter. Open your tank, i said, not much in there.So I showed him how to switch it to the Reserve position. Varrooom,..big smile on the old guys face. He had just bought it and this was his first ride out. I convinced him to go home,..have a coffee..and READ his owners manual.:biglaugh: He shook my hand, and off he went.
Good on ya! Paying it forward always pays dividends if only in the feel good department!

I agree, I watched the video 5 times and if you watch Seans fingers and listen for the tap at both ends, it appears that Seans Engine has almost exactly the same play..

Congrats on getting it all back together and working right...

Dave

PS: Now if I can just figure out how you fixed the clutch lever to engage at the center of travel, I can fix mine, it catches at almost fully out.:biglaugh:

Just rolled mine forwards and backwards and get about 3.5'' wheel movement on the ground. My other bike is exactly the same.
Well, I'm happy for you not tearing it all apart for nothing.:clapping:

I agree, I watched the video 5 times and if you watch Seans fingers and listen for the tap at both ends, it appears that Seans Engine has almost exactly the same play..

Congrats on getting it all back together and working right...

Dave

PS: Now if I can just figure out how you fixed the clutch lever to engage at the center of travel, I can fix mine, it catches at almost fully out.:biglaugh:

Ya,..I'm not sure what happend there. I cleaned all the steels and fibers,... cleaned and lubed "with amsoil oil" the hole that the clutch rod slides through, ...worked the clutch handle in and out to make sure clutch realese button was working correctly, put all back together, and walla...100 % Its an hour long job and easy as pie to do. Just make sure the clutch basket slides in all the way before you tighten any thing. THE BASKET MUST CLEAR THE NYLON GEAR BEHIND IT!!! shown it pic.

Attachments

• vmaxclutch 009.jpg
    vmaxclutch 009.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 16
Well, I just got another freebee...the bike doesnt do its "wiggle thing" in the corners any more!! I think I can tell you why......Before I put the swing arm back in place,...I noticed "shinny rub area's, larger than the collar diameter" where the 2 steel collars sit. That tells me that the swing arm had been moving slightly. So I reset the preload bolts, put on Blue lock tite, and cranked on the nut. I then grabbed the rear wheel and tried to wiggle it,...nothing,..all good. Seems that pulling this bike apart was the best thing that could of happend,..I would not of taken these things apart other wise.:biglaugh:

The back of the basket better engage to the nylon gear behind it or you won't have any oil pressure! The basket turns that gear which turns the gear on the other end of the shaft (just inside the block) which directly turns the oil pump. The gear we swap out for our HD oiling kit is the gear you can't see on the inside of the block.

Sean

I just changed the oil, maybe before the next oil change I'll give this a shot. I thought mine was the only Max with a clutch that engaged at the "Outer Limits". Thanks for the heads up Sean. That would be a bad thing..

Just rolled mine forwards and backwards and get about 3.5'' wheel movement on the ground. My other bike is exactly the same.
Well, I'm happy for you not tearing it all apart for nothing.:clapping:

Did a recheck this morning...have 3 3/4 play cold. Not sure if it makes a difference. I will check it when its warm ,just out of morbid curiousity.:biglaugh:

The back of the basket better engage to the nylon gear behind it or you won't have any oil pressure! The basket turns that gear which turns the gear on the other end of the shaft (just inside the block) which directly turns the oil pump. The gear we swap out for our HD oiling kit is the gear you can't see on the inside of the block.

Sean
Its sure nice having an online mechanic here to guide us. To be honest with you.... I;m not so sure I would keep this bike if it wasnt for this forum and the helpful members.....Sean and his knowledge, and parts. I can remember back in the day, when there was nobody to ask, not much information, and no internet to find any parts. I seen alot of excellent bikes junked through the 70's and 80's .Ellectrical parts were a fortune and took all summer to get, and every thing else was on back order.:biglaugh:

Im not sure if this is the same problem or not, i did have someone tell me it could possibly be the tranny.....I am new here and want to say Hi to everyone. I just bought my first VMAX, I had always wanted one since it was the only bike that would beat my 85 GPZ 1100. 25 years later and a pissed off girlfriend and I have one in the garage. Love the bike, it has a few issues though, when accelerating hard and the wheel is slipping there are loud popping noises coming from either the tranny or the final drive, kinda sounds like a chain slipping a tooth. It will burnout fine, once its moving it sounds like all hell is breaking loose...Any ideas out there?

:bang head:

Might have some teeth broken in the trans. Not a good sign. You can check some of that by removing the clutch basket and looking into the view hole in the block. You can also look into the back of the engine by removing the swingarm and 3 bolts holding the rear gear in the block. Yanking it out (watching for the shims) will let you see in there at that worm gear.

You need to pay attention to see if it does it in a particular gear or all the time. It could be a broken or worn rear diff too.

Odd's are it's a worn shift dog (usually 2nd/5th) gear.

Sean

Back