Exhaust work

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Lee-

Reaction score
All,

Thanks to the European Union the US military in Europe, through which my Max is registered, has adopted E/ECE Regulation 41 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Motorcycles with regard to Noise.

Typical to the military they have taken what they want out of it and ignore the rest but reference the entire thing and call it enforceable.

Because of all of this I have had to remove my HMF:tantrum: because it is over the allowed noise limit. (95dB) I am going back to the exhaust that I had the last time that I was over here. It is a BSM similar to the HMF but has a crossover. Made in the Netherlands and meets or exceeds E/ECE limitations. Comes complete with removeable dB killers. (Which will come out as soon as I am past vehicle inspection)

The trouble that I have is that it will not fit past the Otec swingarm. Can someone recommend a shop or company that can either widen the existing, or fabricate a new crossover section that the cans attach to? Here is the spec sheet the part is #8 Crossover pipe. I do also have a Fully braced and Noched Deget swingarm that I can install in but I would rather keep the Otec S/A on if possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Attachments

• 5105.pdf
    293 KB · Views: 19
Lee,Couldn't you just borrow some quieter cans.Longer with smaller outlets.

+1 to this. It would be easier to stick anything on it that would make it quieter, even if you have to overpack the cans to make them quiet so it passes the test.

All,

Thanks to the European Union the US military in Europe, through which my Max is registered, has adopted E/ECE Regulation 41 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Motorcycles with regard to Noise.

Typical to the military they have taken what they want out of it and ignore the rest but reference the entire thing and call it enforceable.

Because of all of this I have had to remove my HMF:tantrum: because it is over the allowed noise limit. (95dB) I am going back to the exhaust that I had the last time that I was over here. It is a BSM similar to the HMF but has a crossover. Made in the Netherlands and meets or exceeds E/ECE limitations. Comes complete with removeable dB killers. (Which will come out as soon as I am past vehicle inspection)

The trouble that I have is that it will not fit past the Otec swingarm. Can someone recommend a shop or company that can either widen the existing, or fabricate a new crossover section that the cans attach to? Here is the spec sheet the part is #8 Crossover pipe. I do also have a Fully braced and Noched Deget swingarm that I can install in but I would rather keep the Otec S/A on if possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Lee,Couldn't you just borrow some quieter cans.Longer with smaller outlets.

+1 to this. It would be easier to stick anything on it that would make it quieter, even if you have to overpack the cans to make them quiet so it passes the test.

I know Dale Walker has some 18" cans you could mount on that beast to tame the sound... Otherwise you can make some DB killers to fit in the end of the cans. That's what I would do. Micron, Yosh, Scorpion and many others make them...:thumbs up:

Thank you to all that replied so far. I tried everything that was mentioned besides installing other/longer cans. The quietest that I was able to achieve was 97dB.

I have the BSM in carbon fiber now. I will install it and there should be no reason that it will not pass. Especially since it has E/ECE approval, and square E (cannot make that symbol) stamped into the canisters.

Here is a picture of how my Max looked with the chrome canisters. This is from 2005 when I lived in Huntsville, Alabama.

Attachments

• Show_Clean0004.jpg
    Show_Clean0004.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 51
marks pipe for any exhaust work

I am considering Mark's. I only need the crossover pipe widened about 2 inches on each side. The trouble is that it has to be to the outside of where the head-pipes connect and that is right where it curves to go to the cans.

Look at #8 on the PDF again to see what I mean.

Here are some pictures comparing the BSM with the dB-Killers installed with the wide open HMF exhaust.

The BSM canister is about 2 inches longer and a bit larger in circumference than the HMF.

The outlet of the dB killers is 1 1/4 inches. The outlet of the BSM without the killers is a bit more than 1 3/4 inches. The outlet of the HMF is 2 inches.

The finish on the BSM carbon is easily equal to that of the HMF.

:biglaugh: Just plain beautiful. :drool:

Attachments

• HMF_v_BSM-L (1936 x 1296).jpg
    HMF_v_BSM-L (1936 x 1296).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
  • dBkiller_1_25 inch (1936 x 1296).jpg
    dBkiller_1_25 inch (1936 x 1296).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 16
  • dBkiller_removal screw (1936 x 1296).jpg
    dBkiller_removal screw (1936 x 1296).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 14
  • HMF_2 inch (1936 x 1296).jpg
    HMF_2 inch (1936 x 1296).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 16
[cue Aerosmith: Back in the Saddle]

I went to have the Max inspected today. Lo and behold it passed! The (uncalibrated) dB meter read 92.3dB. I am one happy camper! Next step is to get those dB killers out til next year's inspection.

Now if the rain would let up....

:punk:

Last edited:

I went to have the Max inspected today. Lo and behold it passed! The (uncalibrated) dB meter read 92.3dB. I am one happy camper! Next step is to get those dB killers out til next year's inspection.

Good on you! Glad everything worked out for ya.:clapping:

Wow, a yearly noise inspection, that sucks. What's the max db you can have for your vehicle (I assume cars and bikes get checked?)?

Buster,

All motorcycles get checked regardless. Cars only get checked if the inspector "Feels" that it is too loud or there is obvious exhaust modification. Like one of those Fart Cans.

Look a couple of posts higher on this thread where I explained the requirements. The limit for Motorcycles is 95dB. It is supposed to be measured at a 45 degree angle, 50 cm from the exhaust outlet, with the engine running at 1/2 redline. How they actually measured was something different. I do not care how they did it now since I passed!

Last edited:
Buster,

All motorcycles get checked regardless. Cars only get checked if the inspector "Feels" that it is too loud or there is obvious exhaust modification. Like one of those Fart Cans.

Look a couple of posts higher on this thread where I explained the requirements. The limit for Motorcycles is 95dB. It is supposed to be measured at a 45 degree angle, 50 cm for the exhaust outlet, with the engine running at 1/2 redline. How they actually measured was something different. I do not care how they did it now since I passed!

The dual sport club I'm in does sound checks before ride events. This is more to keep the bikes quiet so we don't lose more riding areas. We have a "Clean Air Check" every 2 years on our cars only, but I don't believe there is a db check. There is no yearly tests for motorcycles (knock on wood).

Latest posts

Back