Factory exhaust mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, I also had the factory exhaust mod done as well. I thought the sound couldn't get any better,and thought it sounded like a " Small block chevy "as well.......................... Until a few weeks ago I made a Huge decision to part with some of my hard earned money and purchase an HMF system.

All I can say is .....HOLY SH*T !!!!
Putting those HMF's on made the bike sound 100 times better. way deeper and way louder! you'd never say it was the same bike at all. Every time I ride it...makes me smile and grin.

I was skeptical and hesitant about spending the cash for a full system...But boy I'm glad I did!! No regrets whatsoever.

Hi there, I also had the factory exhaust mod done as well. I thought the sound couldn't get any better,and thought it sounded like a " Small block chevy "as well.......................... Until a few weeks ago I made a Huge decision to part with some of my hard earned money and purchase an HMF system.

All I can say is .....HOLY SH*T !!!!
Putting those HMF's on made the bike sound 100 times better. way deeper and way louder! you'd never say it was the same bike at all. Every time I ride it...makes me smile and grin.

I was skeptical and hesitant about spending the cash for a full system...But boy I'm glad I did!! No regrets whatsoever.

Glad to hear it.I keep saying this.You have to hear one in person.After hearing my first full system I had to have one.My supertrapps were on ebay instantly.They did not even compare to me with 11 discs and open ends.Better than stock but not close to the bigger headers and see through cans.

I was thinking of drilling holes in my stock pipes too. Is it as easy as drilling the holes that are riveted with a 1/2" drill bit? Thanks

Scott

I was thinking of drilling holes in my stock pipes too. Is it as easy as drilling the holes that are riveted with a 1/2" drill bit? Thanks

Scott

I believe that the holes are drilled in the space between the original rivet holes leaving the rivet holes intact. That way you can reattach the chrome end plate (using a washer to provide spacing between the chrome end plate and exhaust) with new SS rivets to maintain a stock look. I have seen it done without the chrome end plate and paint the area black.

Here a link on how one person did it: Yamaha Vmax stock exhaust mod.

Last edited:
Weight loss is the big thing with an aftermarket exhaust... If you take the stock cans off you will be amazed by how much it all weighs... I have to believe I took off 20 pounds of crap... :whistlin:

Weight loss is the big thing with an aftermarket exhaust... If you take the stock cans off you will be amazed by how much it all weighs... I have to believe I took off 20 pounds of crap... :whistlin:

From Stock to UFO my wieght loss was 22lbs total

Stock was 42lbs
UFO was 20lbs

This VMAX forum is starting to get addicting! :cheers:

My future plan is to install HMF's... but until then I'd like to experiment. :whistlin: Can anyone tell me where I need drill the holes?

A slightly different stock exhaust mod is to remove or drill out the center baffel about 14" down the center of the stock can.
I had a drill extension and a 1" "uni-bit". Done in a few minutes. Much better sound.
It can even be knocked out with a sturdy metal rod( but where does it go?????)

This VMAX forum is starting to get addicting! :cheers:

My future plan is to install HMF's... but until then I'd like to experiment. :whistlin: Can anyone tell me where I need drill the holes?

Linky.......

http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/exhaust fix.htm

Careful bro, that's the forum in England.
It's just like another drug. You're gettin' addicited!

Back