Fire-medic's trials and tribulations with the rear brake

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
"The Trouble with Tribbles?"
No "the trouble with the rear brake!"

Posted in another thread under another topic was Miles Long's constructive criticism to place this topic where it belongs-here, in the brakes section.

If you read that thread, you saw I was having problems w/my rear brake. I had been in the process of getting my bike squared-away to operate safely. With the help of a friend, thanks Mike!, I got it running. A shake-down cruise resulted in the rear caliper nearly locking-up. I limped back to the shop & removed the rear caliper & the hose. I disassembled the caliper, cleaned it well, reassembled it, checked the hose w/air pressure from both ends in-case it was collapsing internally (a problem I have had before on cars/trucks/bikes) & found that was not the problem. Bleed the brake, another test ride, another smoking rotor after a few miles. Limp back to the shop. This morning, I disassembled a used rear master cyl. I had. I cleaned it thoroughly, and re-installed it onto the bike. Bled it, out onto the road.

EXITO!
No locked-up brake, everything works OK. I probably will disassemble the master cyl. I removed & clean it, & then stick it into a bag, labeled, for the 'next time'. Since this one was the original, maybe about the time I become an octegenarian will I need it.

So there you have it. I bought the used rear master cyl. w/some other VMax stuff off eBay 'in-case,' & this happened to be 'the in-case moment.'

I am typing this while a fetching brunette from the Jan. 2012 "P3Racing" calendar purses her lips and smiles swwetly at me, if you have this calendar, you'd be happy if she was smiling at you! I am consuming some smoked fish dip that my friend Steve keeps in the refrig @ his shop, I buy a couple 16 oz. containers a month, delicious! One of his customers who is into Nortons used to bring it in, he sold his business to someone else, now that guy brings it in. "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Cristal, from Peru. A six-pack and you'll be seeing Plains of Nazca designs on the ceiling, and a dark-eyed Peruvian princess will becken you to her boudoir in Machu Picchu."

So the year is ending on a good note for me because I have been working on my bike, and am now having success in completing 'deferred maintenance.' Now I can use my bike safely, the best gift a gearhead could get. Happy new year to all the vmaxforum.net readers. Thank-you for providing me with nearly-endless hours (my wife says too-many hours) allowing me to return my ride to the road and to make new friends and acquaintances along the way.

I can honestly say my life is more-enjoyable because of the bonds of friendship I have forged since I became active here. I like my bikes, and the people here have helped me to enjoy one of my favorites, once again. :biglaugh:

My 2012 resolution is to get my ass (and my Vmax) over to the other coast of Florida to meet up with Fire-Medic. A man with a similar level of passion for all things combustion propelled but especially our Vmax. Maybe I can drag some of the locals with me! Alligator Alley with a low bug count and triple digit cruising- Priceless!
PATMAX

"Patmax," here is a good reason to come to the east coast for a visit.
http://daniabeachvintagebikeshow.com/
An old acquaintance of mine and her husband are the sparkplugs for this. It is the best vintage bike event in south FL & there is a great variety of vehicles to be seen. There are many dining options within just a few min. including some you can walk-to. Vendors are there too, my friend's mcy accessory shop has 'screaming deals' on a variety of stuff & his bricks & mortar store is only 4 minutes away if you want something else. Oh, and did I mention, it has been free admission? Don Bradley, an acquaintance of mine, does the poster illustration for the event. Don has a Vincent Black Shadow he rides on multi-state trips, it is not a trailer queen!

The Boca Raton concours show to benefit the Boys & Girls clubs of Palm Beach Co. is another event, they have both bikes & cars, but it is $50.00 (yes!) to get in as it is for charity. Jay Leno was the honorary host last year, & the Unser family was present to be honored.
http://www.bocaratonconcours.com/bocaratonconcours/
Bring extra memory cards for this one, last year I saw three supercharged Duesenbergs among the entries. They have a bike show too, last year there was a string of Triumph twins representing each year from the 1950's through the 1970's close of business. Lots of vintage British bikes, rare Japanese racers, and thankfully, there seems to be a moratorium on contemporary American-based "billet-bikes" which are a dime-a-dozen at most shows. Now if you have a H-D XA or a Indian Scout oval racer, or a 1920's boardtracker, "welcome!" actually, it is worth the $50 admission, as you are unlikely to see a collection like this anyplace in FL w/the possible exception of Amelia Island.

http://www.motortrend.com/classic/a...cours_celebrates_ferrari_250_gto_anniversary/

You will have a great time at any of these events, but the Dania Beach mcy event is bikes-only & is free. You can always PM me about anything involving these events, if you plan to come. Fifty bucks for the others is $$, but you actually get to speak w/people like Jay Leno and Bobby Unser, with whom I spoke & got a pic last year.:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back